The Student Room Group

Tips for an A in AS Physics?

hey everyone,

I'll be starting my A levels next year and I'm really worried about Physics, I got an A in triple physics last year but I've heard AS is a lot harder. I'm aiming for an A with hopefully very high/full UMS, so I was wondering how to go about achieving the highest grade? What techniques/methods etc. and how to understand the topics exactly?

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by gardevoir
hey everyone,

I'll be starting my A levels next year and I'm really worried about Physics, I got an A in triple physics last year but I've heard AS is a lot harder. I'm aiming for an A with hopefully very high/full UMS, so I was wondering how to go about achieving the highest grade? What techniques/methods etc. and how to understand the topics exactly?

Thank you!

Me to, and curious to know especial recipe for cooking Alevel physics :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey everyone,

Thank you!

Just revise without wasting time and do a lot of past paper questions! Also, learn the special words in each topic that examiners look out for! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by morningstar49
Just revise without wasting time and do a lot of past paper questions! Also, learn the special words in each topic that examiners look out for! :smile:

Plz explain this term " special words" ... what type of word become special??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Don't waste your time over summer, enjoy it. Just revise hard once school starts (I mean all year, most days)
Reply 5
If you do OCR forget about getting an A...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
The big area to lose marks is the written questions, as those based on calculations are reasonably easy provided you understand the process and use your data sheet.

Make sure to do lots of past papers to get a feel of what comes up in extended writing, and check the examiners reports for the marking points. Bear in mind that you are allowed to bullet point your answers if this helps you ensure you have a point for every mark. You'll have to memorize the marking points for every topic, but its really the only way of doing it.

Oh and be clear on your definitions for newtons laws and so on. They can often be a mark on their own.
Original post by M.Adnan
Plz explain this term " special words" ... what type of word become special??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops, my bad for not making it clear enough. I meant like key terms in each topics. For example, in mechanics one of the key terms could be terminal velocity. My friend lost quite a lot of marks in her mock exam due to the fact that she didn't put the key terms that the examiners were looking for. For example, she just wrote something like 'the particles started to move around' whereas, the examiners were looking for the special word 'kinetic energy'!
Reply 8
Thanx 4 explaining & it means one must be able to assess
core terms from each chapter !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
hey everyone,

I'll be starting my A levels next year and I'm really worried about Physics, I got an A in triple physics last year but I've heard AS is a lot harder. I'm aiming for an A with hopefully very high/full UMS, so I was wondering how to go about achieving the highest grade? What techniques/methods etc.
and how to understand the topics exactly?

Thank you!

If you want an A, do not take it. Sorry, but it's true. I got a very high A* at GCSE in triple physics, and will have been lucky to get a D in my AS level. In my case, I came to hate physics and gave up on it, but if tried more I could've got a B. However, I must say, A2 physics seems really quite hard so far and I would struggle to get a C in it if i took it on (which I won't,as i can't wait to drop it).
I loved physics at GCSE as well, so your opinion can change very quickly. I would strongly recommend finding out what exam board you'd be with and looking in detail at the course to see whether you like it. I unfortunately didn't do this well enough.

I would also say you need a good standard of maths. I have no problem with the maths, I just can't get my head around the boring theory.

Physics is a very hard subject at A level, and you will need to do a lot of work (as for any A level). But if you look through it and really like the look of it, then go for it. Do what you enjoy and what you are good at. You clearly have a good understanding of Physics from your A at GCSE.
And if you do take it and find you're struggling, seek help. I let the work get on top of me when i didn't understand it and hence i gave up with it. Don't make the same mistake as i did - ask your teacher for help, as im sure theyll be more than happy to help you

Good luck!
Original post by BrockOne
If you want an A, do not take it. Sorry, but it's true. I got a very high A* at GCSE in triple physics, and will have been lucky to get a D in my AS level. In my case, I came to hate physics and gave up on it, but if tried more I could've got a B. However, I must say, A2 physics seems really quite hard so far and I would struggle to get a C in it if i took it on (which I won't,as i can't wait to drop it).
I loved physics at GCSE as well, so your opinion can change very quickly. I would strongly recommend finding out what exam board you'd be with and looking in detail at the course to see whether you like it. I unfortunately didn't do this well enough.

I would also say you need a good standard of maths. I have no problem with the maths, I just can't get my head around the boring theory.

Physics is a very hard subject at A level, and you will need to do a lot of work (as for any A level). But if you look through it and really like the look of it, then go for it. Do what you enjoy and what you are good at. You clearly have a good understanding of Physics from your A at GCSE.
And if you do take it and find you're struggling, seek help. I let the work get on top of me when i didn't understand it and hence i gave up with it. Don't make the same mistake as i did - ask your teacher for help, as im sure theyll be more than happy to help you

Good luck!

That was really helpful!
I'm planning on doing Bio, Chem, Physics and Geography.
How would you compare Alevel physics to Alevel Chemistry? Which one is more difficult? Would it be too difficult to do all 3 sciences?
The college I will be joining will do WJEC Physics and OCR Chemistry. Thanks!
I did AQA for chemsitry, physics, geography and edexcel for maths. For AQA, chemistry is in my opinion far easier than physics - I was looking at getting a high A but made a bit of a mess of my coursework, so will probably get a B. I can't really speak for biology, as I don't take it. All three sciences will be tough, but it is manageable. I know two people who are doing all sciences and ones doing maths as well, and they are both managing just as well as anyone else. So I would say three is fine as long as you're decent at science which it seems like you are.

Quick Reply

Latest