The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, I was just looking over the practice questions in the isc medical book by Oliver Picard book and compared it to both your unofficial spec and the official spec and saw some questions on both the eye and the ear, neither of which are in either of the specs.

Is it safe to assume these questions are from the older spec or do we actually have to know those aswell?? :/

Any help would be much appreciated.
Original post by tanners141
Hey guys, I was just looking over the practice questions in the isc medical book by Oliver Picard book and compared it to both your unofficial spec and the official spec and saw some questions on both the eye and the ear, neither of which are in either of the specs.

Is it safe to assume these questions are from the older spec or do we actually have to know those aswell?? :/

Any help would be much appreciated.

Defo older spec
can anyone help me with this question??

Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 14.31.49.png

I mean I understand why I need to eliminate 1 and 4 as you can't make these numbers out of the 8 but why do I eliminate 3 and 5?
Hi all

We thought you might like our free step-by-step guide to BMAT Section 3.

This explains how you can apply scientific reasoning and logical processes to the essay section, ensuring you score consistently highly. It's really helped a lot of people over the years, so we condensed it into a neat blog.

Happy to answer any further questions. Hope it helps!

The Medic Portal
Hi all

This explains how you can apply scientific reasoning and logical processes to the essay section, ensuring you score consistently highly. It's really helped a lot of people over the years, so we condensed it into a neat blog.

The Medic Portal
Reply 185
Anyone know what the bmat cut-off for brighton and sussex has been for the last few years?
Original post by iJAKE
Anyone know what the bmat cut-off for brighton and sussex has been for the last few years?

I think BSMS only started using BMAT last year so probably not much information available yet
Reply 187
Is it worth making notes from the whole of the assumed knowledge guide (esp. for physics as I haven't studied it since GCSE)? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
can anyone help me with this question??

Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 14.31.49.png

I mean I understand why I need to eliminate 1 and 4 as you can't make these numbers out of the 8 but why do I eliminate 3 and 5?

It says that three of the lights were permanently on so it can't have been 3. The score can also be maximum 501 and it says the first digit was incorrect. If the first digit were a 5, you'd have a score of 505 and that too isn't possible.
Reply 189
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi all

The Medic Portal

Is it worth making notes from the whole of the assumed knowledge guide (esp. for physics as I haven't studied it since GCSE)? Thanks
Original post by usycool1
It says that three of the lights were permanently on so it can't have been 3. The score can also be maximum 501 and it says the first digit was incorrect. If the first digit were a 5, you'd have a score of 505 and that too isn't possible.

Ahh thanks I get why not 5 but why not 3? I mean the bottom three lights could have been permanently on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Ahh thanks I get why not 5 but why not 3? I mean the bottom three lights could have been permanently on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, but then that would mean that other lights would also be permanently on (e.g. the second one from the top on the most left hand side on the number 8 - that too would be illuminated but it shouldn't be on the three). The one's that'd need to be permanently on on the number 8 would be the one's that can be off in the other numbers.
For anyone who's still looking for revision materials, I found this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-UKCAT-BMAT-Questions-University/dp/1446271226) very helpful when I sat the BMAT last year - it gives you some general tips on each section before giving you practice questions, and was very good especially for Section 3. Check to see if your school/college has it in the library if you can (or maybe even your public library) so you don't have to spend any money if you don't need to :wink:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt/bmat/ was also shown to me by my college - it has a bunch of practice questions similar to those you'd find in Sections 1 and 2. I didn't use it much myself as I wasn't fond of the format but this might help some of you anyway :smile:

General things I found about the BMAT last year were that it helps to scribble down things on the question paper for Section 1 if you need to. Also in Section 1 there are a fair few critical thinking type questions where you're given a passage of text and are asked to find the most likely conclusion, reasonable assumptions that can be made based on the text etc. These are usually straightforward though and the UKCAT will have given you some practice if you've done it.
In Section 2 most of the content is GCSE level but some does stray a little into AS - last year it was very maths and physics heavy (my weaknesses haha), so it's worth brushing up on your weak spots if you have them. It is fairly straightforward for the most part though :smile:
In Section 3 you'll end up with more time than you need if you have a good question and are a fast writer. An earlier post said spend about half your time planning and half your time writing which seems about right. Make sure you answer all the subquestions in the question and pick about 2 or 3 points from each side of the argument to use in the essay - don't try to use every point you come up with because you'll run out of space. Just keep it concise and well argued and you should be okay :smile:
You can use bullet points if you want - we were shown some sample 5A answers that did this.

This ended up way longer than I intended to, but hopefully this will help someone :smile:
Should I revise from my GCSE, AS or A2 books?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medically

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's meant to be GCSE knowledge isn't it?
Original post by not you
It's meant to be GCSE knowledge isn't it?

Mostly, I did the BMAT last year as well and found a few of the questions went a bit beyond but that may just be me being rusty :smile: It may be that a few questions are AS kind of difficulty
Original post by Medically

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

The guide that BMAT provide is very good because everything on there is examinable material, so I'd take a look at that.
Original post by Azula
Is it worth making notes from the whole of the assumed knowledge guide (esp. for physics as I haven't studied it since GCSE)? Thanks

If you think that would help you, by all means do it. that would be a starting point, then past papers to make sure you're confident with the topics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Azula

Hi - this really comes down to your own preferred revision techniques. Note making is a good start. We would suggest also working through practice questions as soon as you can, since the way the information is presented can be quite different from GCSE.

The Medic Portal
Reply 198
What is the best way to prepare for BMAT? I'm so lost i don't know where to start :frown:
Original post by DrNB
What is the best way to prepare for BMAT? I'm so lost i don't know where to start :frown:

take a look at this post
Original post by Refrigerator
Hey everyone,Seems like this type of thread doesn't exist yet, so I thought I'd kick it off. If anyone cares, I'm a third-year medic at Cambridge who teaches BMAT crash courses on the weekends in the Summer holidays. Happy to answer any and all questions about life :smile:What is the BMAT?BMAT stands for BioMedical Admissions Test. It’s a 2-hour exam, taken by medical (and vet) school applicants every year at the start of November. In 2015, students will sit the BMAT on Wednesday 4th November. The exam is split into 3 sections (1) Critical Thinking and Problem Solving, (2) Science and Maths, and (3) Essay.When is the BMAT?As mentioned above, the students applying for 2016 entry will sit the BMAT on 4th November 2015. This is after the applications go in. This means that taking the BMAT is somewhat of a gamble, in that you only take the exam after you have applied. If you do very badly in the BMAT, you’re very likely to get rejected without interview from the universities you’ve applied to that require it.Who has to take the BMAT?I've written an extensive article on the subject here How universities use the BMAT. The short answer is that students applying to study Medicine at Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Leeds, Lancaster and Brighton & Sussex need to take the BMAT. Students applying to study veterinary medicine at Cambridge and the Royal Veterinary College also have to take the exam. Finally, if you’re reading this from Singapore or The Netherlands, you need to take the BMAT if you’re applying to Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (Singapore) or Leiden University (Netherlands).How do you prepare for the BMAT?Section 1:- Do lots of TSA Oxford past papers - http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/thinking-skills-assessment/tsa-oxford/preparing-for-tsa-oxford/. The TSA mimics the format of BMAT Section 1, so doing those past papers is a really great way of getting Section 1 practice.- If you're struggling with Critical Thinking, you may find the OCR Critical Thinking textbook of some use. Although the BMAT critical thinking is so basic, and only really has 5 question types, that I personally don't think it's worth it. Just do lots of practice and it'll come to you :smile:- Fractions are our friends. Being good/quick at doing fractions is unbelievably important when it comes to the BMAT. A lot of questions in Section 1 problem solving, and most questions in Section 2 Physics, Maths and Chemistry, involve working with fractions is one way or another. Therefore, if you can work with fractions speedily and effectively, and are quick and accurate at cancelling out etc, you'll have a huge advantage over everyone else in the BMAT.Section 2:- Teach yourself all the science you need to know. I've written up an unofficial specification for Section 2 here - http://www.bmatcrashcourse.com/bmat-section-2-syllabus/. That's based on everything that's come up over the last 5 years (they changed the spec in 2009, so papers 2003-2008 are unrepresentative of the actual exam).- You can teach yourself science by using BBC GCSE Bitesize, and also the "Section 2 Assumed Knowledge Guide" that was released on the official BMAT website last year. Getting hold of this is a little involved - here's a guide: https://support.admissionstestingservice.org/entries/105788146-BMAT-Section-2-Assumed-Subject-Knowledge-guide-Step-by-Step-instructions-for-students- Again, Fractions are our Friends. As I mentioned in the earlier section, fractions come up all the time in physics, chemistry and maths, so being good at doing them is essential.- Timing on section 2 is really really tight. You've only got around a minute per question, which isn't enough time for some of the calculations. The way around this is to really know your biology inside out - you can answer the majority of them within 10 seconds, and that means you have more time for the more complex chemistry calculations etc.Section 3:- if you address all the bullet points given in the question, you're practically guaranteed to get at least 3/5, which gets you over the cutoffs for any university.- Make sure you spend a long time planning. It takes 10-15 minutes to write in the tiny box that they give you, so you should spend the first 10-15 minutes planning effectively.Past PapersYou can find links to all the past papers here - http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/preparing-for-bmat/And again, here's the link for the TSA papers - http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/thinking-skills-assessment/tsa-oxford/preparing-for-tsa-oxford/BMAT Courses?I've got a previous post under the thread "Are BMAT/UKCAT/Interview preparation courses useful?" that might be of interest - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2367477&p=47224779#post47224779Additional InfoSaving this space for extra stuff.

Latest

Trending

Trending