The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I am currently in Year 11. However, I already know my future plans which consist in applying to Medical School in the UK. They university I am interested in requires taking the BMAT. My entry year would be in 2018, may someone tell me when I should take this exam. By the way, I live in Spain but I go to a British school, therefore, where could I sit the examination? Thank you very much in advance.
Original post by Eveliina97
Oh, don't worry... I'm sure you still have a fair chance of getting in with your score, especially with the average having shifted downwards! We'll just have to dazzle the St Hugh's staff with our overflowing excellence at the interviews and then we'll be good :wink:

I hope they're used to underwhelming applicants so we can stand out and be automatically accepted :tongue: Well if we get interviews (not really an "if" for you though) then both of our chances will go up a lot since they'll actually get to look at our grades/ps/reference/whatever instead of just BMAT

Hope to see you there at the interviews, good luck with your application :smile:

Original post by Sofía27
Hello, I am currently in Year 11. However, I already know my future plans which consist in applying to Medical School in the UK. They university I am interested in requires taking the BMAT. My entry year would be in 2018, may someone tell me when I should take this exam. By the way, I live in Spain but I go to a British school, therefore, where could I sit the examination? Thank you very much in advance.

BMAT is taken in the year you apply, so November 2017 for you. You'll sit the BMAT at the local test centre, you'll have to look it up yourself but usually it's the British Embassy or something like that.
Original post by not you
I hope they're used to underwhelming applicants so we can stand out and be automatically accepted :tongue: Well if we get interviews (not really an "if" for you though) then both of our chances will go up a lot since they'll actually get to look at our grades/ps/reference/whatever instead of just BMAT

Hope to see you there at the interviews, good luck with your application :smile:

BMAT is taken in the year you apply, so November 2017 for you. You'll sit the BMAT at the local test centre, you'll have to look it up yourself but usually it's the British Embassy or something like that.

Thank you so much for your information, I really appreciate it.
May someone please give me some advice for applying to Medicine at Imperial too, please? I know it might be a bit early but I am very mature for my age and studying Medicine there is my dream.
Hi im just wondering I keep seeing people say that people have generally done worse in bmat this yr with 4.5 being average but I thought the bmat was comparatively marked meaning that the same no. of people get 4s/5s/6s/7s each year abit like how ums work?
Original post by not you

Haha yeah let's hope so! Good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by Ana12345
Hi im just wondering I keep seeing people say that people have generally done worse in bmat this yr with 4.5 being average but I thought the bmat was comparatively marked meaning that the same no. of people get 4s/5s/6s/7s each year abit like how ums work?

I'm pretty sure it is scaled by difficulty/number of people (not entirely sure) but the reason why more people are getting lower scores is because a couple of new universities adopted the BMAT this year, so all of those people who normally would not get as high marks as oxbridge applicants for example, would have pulled down the average a bit
Original post by not you
I'm pretty sure it is scaled by difficulty/number of people (not entirely sure) but the reason why more people are getting lower scores is because a couple of new universities adopted the BMAT this year, so all of those people who normally would not get as high marks as oxbridge applicants for example, would have pulled down the average a bit

Ah yeah that seems right, thanks
what bmat unis you applying to?
Ah yeah that seems right, thanks
what bmat unis you applying to?

Imperial and Oxford, don't think I've got good enough scores for Oxford though

What about you?
Original post by Sofía27
May someone please give me some advice for applying to Medicine at Imperial too, please? I know it might be a bit early but I am very mature for my age and studying Medicine there is my dream.

Why Imperial, specifically? What do you like about the course? And what is your age? Medicine is one of those courses where some universities (i.e. the ones that offer early clinical contact) require you to be 18 at the start of the course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by not you
Imperial and Oxford, don't think I've got good enough scores for Oxford though

What about you?

ah nice, lol all my unis are bmat ones Cambridge, ucl, imperial and Lancaster
ah nice, lol all my unis are bmat ones Cambridge, ucl, imperial and Lancaster

That's ambitious lol, I was considering doing four BMAT since I was finding past papers easy enough but I did the UKCAT just in case and ended up with a good score so kept two UKCAT unis as a backup, so glad I did that now but obviously kind of annoyed it came to that :/
Original post by not you
That's ambitious lol, I was considering doing four BMAT since I was finding past papers easy enough but I did the UKCAT just in case and ended up with a good score so kept two UKCAT unis as a backup, so glad I did that now but obviously kind of annoyed it came to that :/

oh did your bmat not go well then, at least you have a good ukcat, yeah I just couldn't be bothered doing ukcat aswell just out of laziness :P
oh did your bmat not go well then, at least you have a good ukcat, yeah I just couldn't be bothered doing ukcat aswell just out of laziness :P

Nope, 6.4, 4.9, 3.5A
S1 and S3 were on par with what I expected, if a bit low for S1 anyway
S2 was disastrous, I have no clue how I managed to mess up so many questions when it was meant to be an easy year and I was getting about 7 on past papers :frown:
Original post by amazingusername
Hey! Are you applying as an international applicant from Malaysia for Oxford medicine?

Close, close :smile: Singapore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by not you
Nope, 6.4, 4.9, 3.5A
S2 was disastrous, I have no clue how I managed to mess up so many questions when it was meant to be an easy year and I was getting about 7 on past papers :frown:

I still think you stand a chance with those, yh same I was getting 7s but got 6.2 , 6.6 and 4A, which isn't bad but don't know whether gd enough for cambridge
have you heard from imperial yet?
Original post by not you
Nope, 6.4, 4.9, 3.5A

The problem this year is that the paper was /too/ easy, raising the boundaries and making it harder to get a high mark :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I still think you stand a chance with those, yh same I was getting 7s but got 6.2 , 6.6 and 4A, which isn't bad but don't know whether gd enough for cambridge
have you heard from imperial yet?

That's more than good enough for Cambridge, you should easily get an interview and (assuming it goes well) get an offer with those kind of scores. And no, Imperial said they'd get back to us on the 4th which is almost another week of waiting ughh

Original post by tehtarik
The problem this year is that the paper was /too/ easy, raising the boundaries and making it harder to get a high mark :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish this year's paper was the 2013 paper, I got 8.3 in S2 for that one :'(
Original post by not you
That's more than good enough for Cambridge, you should easily get an interview and (assuming it goes well) get an offer with those kind of scores. And no, Imperial said they'd get back to us on the 4th which is almost another week of waiting ughh

ah thanks, i'll see how it goes, 4th isn't too bad going to pick an interview as far away as possible lol

I wish this year's paper was the 2013 paper, I got 8.3 in S2 for that one :'(

omg that's amazing, yeah the problem with bmat is that scores can be so inconsistent
omg that's amazing, yeah the problem with bmat is that scores can be so inconsistent

I know, now I'm just desperately hoping that it was good enough for an interview and that the interview will help pull me up. It's such a shame that it was so bad because out of all my medical schools, it's really only Oxford that I genuinely want to go to but I don't want to turn down other offers this year just so I could apply again next year with a better BMAT.

Ugh I definitely should have just listened to my dad and applied for undergrad biochemistry then go into grad medicine

Latest

Trending

Trending