The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A.Person
I am scottish dont know english system s4

Riiiight. S4 = Year 10 in England & Wales. You definitely should not be thinking about BMAT if you haven't yet done your GCSEs or Highers or whatever you call them. Unless you're just having a laugh posting on this group.... :/
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
Riiiight. S4 = Year 10 in England & Wales. You definitely should not be thinking about BMAT if you haven't yet done your GCSEs or Highers or whatever you call them. Unless you're just having a laugh posting on this group.... :/

Doing my nat5 soon equivalent to gcse. And i was serious. Advanced preparation is the best.
Original post by A.Person
Doing my nat5 soon equivalent to gcse. And i was serious. Advanced preparation is the best.

I seriously don't recommend starting any sort of preparation for the BMAT at LEAST until you you begin studying for first year A-Levels (AS levels - sorry, don't know what they're called in Scotland). You should 1 million percent concentrate on nailing your Nat5 which will then put you in a position where you can start to consider medicine as a career path. I doubt you have done the work experience/had the exposure required to be considering medicine seriously enough to begin preparation on the BMAT. And even if you have you are thinking about it way to early. Also, you won't even know half of the stuff that comes up on the science section 2 of the BMAT exam because you haven't learnt it yet.

I understand your concerns about wanting to start early but please understand that you are jumping the gun here.

Before you even contemplate BMAT prep you will need to think about:

Preparing for GCSEs/Nat5

Sitting GCSEs/Nat5

Receiving your results for GCSEs/Nat5

Figuring out (with a careers adviser) which careers to think about from your GCSE/Nat5 results

Choosing your AS levels/Highers

Starting your AS levels

Doing some work experience and seeing if you like the look of medicine

Doing some more work experience/volunteering

Attending university open days

Choosing which universities you want to go to (at this point you should FIRST consider BMAT as well as UKCAT)

Starting your application with UCAS

Writing your personal statement

Re-writing your personal statement (x10)

Booking your UKCAT

Polishing off your personal statement

Preparing for your UKCAT

Working towards your AS level examinations

Deadline to submit application through UCAS (UCAS will be your life from about Sept - Oct)

Booking your BMAT exam

Sitting your UKCAT

PREPARING FOR BMAT

Sitting your AS levels

etc.

Please see how far you are away from preparing for your BMAT exam - trust me on this. You will almost certainly run out of resources and compromise your GCSE preparation by starting this early.

Please someone back me up on this....
(edited 8 years ago)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait what uni are you at?
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
I seriously don't recommend starting any sort of preparation for the BMAT at LEAST until you you begin studying for first year A-Levels (AS levels - sorry, don't know what they're called in Scotland). You should 1 million percent concentrate on nailing your Nat5 which will then put you in a position where you can start to consider medicine as a career path. I doubt you have done the work experience/had the exposure required to be considering medicine seriously enough to begin preparation on the BMAT. And even if you have you are thinking about it way to early. Also, you won't even know half of the stuff that comes up on the science section 2 of the BMAT exam because you haven't learnt it yet.

I understand your concerns about wanting to start early but please understand that you are jumping the gun here.

Before you even contemplate BMAT prep you will need to think about:

Preparing for GCSEs/Nat5

Sitting GCSEs/Nat5

Receiving your results for GCSEs/Nat5

Figuring out (with a careers adviser) which careers to think about from your GCSE/Nat5 results

Choosing your AS levels/Highers

Starting your AS levels

Doing some work experience and seeing if you like the look of medicine

Doing some more work experience/volunteering

Attending university open days

Choosing which universities you want to go to (at this point you should FIRST consider BMAT as well as UKCAT)

Starting your application with UCAS

Writing your personal statement

Re-writing your personal statement (x10)

Booking your UKCAT

Polishing off your personal statement

Preparing for your UKCAT

Working towards your AS level examinations

Deadline to submit application through UCAS (UCAS will be your life from about Sept - Oct)

Booking your BMAT exam

Sitting your UKCAT

PREPARING FOR BMAT

Sitting your AS levels

etc.

Please see how far you are away from preparing for your BMAT exam - trust me on this. You will almost certainly run out of resources and compromise your GCSE preparation by starting this early.

Please someone back me up on this....

I ran out of resources and I started 6 weeks before the bmat. But I also did really bad. But just don't think about it till, at the very least, summer between y12 and 13.
Can anyone remember the question about treating someone and its effect on society (the one most people did)

It would help a lot if you could post the title, and the main points you made for each side of the argument
Original post by plsgivemeanoffer
Can anyone remember the question about treating someone and its effect on society (the one most people did)

It would help a lot if you could post the title, and the main points you made for each side of the argument

I did the same question but I also need to know the wording. anybody help!?
Original post by j,evans246
I did the same question but I also need to know the wording. anybody help!?

Something like when treating a patient a physician must or must not think of the benefit to the greater society.

I'm not sure check older threads

Posted from TSR Mobile
'When treating an individual, the physician should consider the wider society.'

Explain what this means. Argue that a doctor should only consider the patient that she/he is treating. To what extent may the interest of the individual conflict with that of the wider population?

Dunno if this helps anyone now but found this from somewhere :P
Reply 4509
I am a syrian student ğlanning to apply for the university of oxford scholarship I had finished my high school and done my SAT test 1370/1600 and 780/800 in math. I am interested in medicine and can do anything to get into oxford and study medicine so can u please help me in gathering information.
I have until november to study for the bmat so is it it enough and how much must i study daily as I used to study at a mean of 8 hours daily for the sat for 7 months. How much score in the bmat do i meed to get to get accepted to oxford and what other kind of tests and etc can I do that will give me advantage in applying.
Please give me a brief account of everything you know and could tell me .
Original post by Asem
I am a syrian student ğlanning to apply for the university of oxford scholarship I had finished my high school and done my SAT test 1370/1600 and 780/800 in math. I am interested in medicine and can do anything to get into oxford and study medicine so can u please help me in gathering information.
I have until november to study for the bmat so is it it enough and how much must i study daily as I used to study at a mean of 8 hours daily for the sat for 7 months. How much score in the bmat do i meed to get to get accepted to oxford and what other kind of tests and etc can I do that will give me advantage in applying.
Please give me a brief account of everything you know and could tell me .

I had 9.0, 4.5, 2.5A in BMAT (with 8A*2A GCSE) and got rejected from Oxford this year. It is very hard to get in (and next to impossible for an international student like yourself - very few are taken), but you can see the admissions criteria here:

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

As you haven't got GCSEs, BMAT will almost exclusively be the factor that decides whether or not you attain an interview.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I would advise at least 7.0s in S1 and S2 average for a good shot at an interview for an international student.

I wouldn't start preparing until you start applying - perhaps next month?
(edited 7 years ago)
how does one start revising for the bmat? any resources in particular you'd suggest?
Past papers on the bmat site, a specification of everything you need to know for section 2 will be available soon, if not now, have a look :smile: it is worth it going on the Kaplan BMAT course as well if you can afford it (I went on it and found it quite helpful as they spoon feed you all the techniques, but I don't think there are anything they tell you in there that you can't find on the Internet). If not then just buy a few bmat practice books, the blue Cambridge one is pretty good :smile:

Original post by Dandie12
how does one start revising for the bmat? any resources in particular you'd suggest?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Refrigerator
I've written up an article that goes over the basics (http://www.bmatcrashcourse.com/parents-guide-bmat/)

But just to answer your question, if you're applying for 2016 entry, then you will take the BMAT on 4th November 2015. This is after you apply. Which is why taking the BMAT is a bit of a gamble, compared to the UKCAT. With UKCAT, you have your results before you apply, so you can base your decisions on those. With BMAT, you only get the results once you've already applied, so it's too late to change anything by then :smile:

Quick Tips for the BMAT:

Section 1

Do lots of TSA Oxford papers. They mimic the format of BMAT Section 1 almost exactly, so they're a great source of practice.

Section 2

Learn all the science you need to know, especially Physics, and especially if you're not doing Physics at AS. There's an official online guide on the BMAT website called something like "Section 2: Assumed Knowledge Guide" which is pretty good, but seems to have quite a bit of stuff that's never come up before. I've written a more realistic version of what comes up in Section 2 here (http://www.bmatcrashcourse.com/bmat-section-2-syllabus/) - I'd suggest learning the stuff on that list first, and then once you know absolutely everything on it, then learn the extra stuff in the official guide.

Regarding past papers, there are BMAT past papers available from 2003 onwards, but the syllabus changed in 2009, so only worry about the 2009-2014 Section 2 papers. Section 1 didn't change though, so still do the 2003-2008 Section 1 papers.

Other than that, the best tip I can give for Section 2 is "FRACTIONS ARE YOUR FRIENDS". This cannot be overstated enough. A huge chunk of Section 2 involves calculating fractions quickly (without a calculator), so if you can do those well, you'll be at a significant advantage.

Section 3

This is the writing task. People call it an essay but it's really just 2-3 paragraphs. You have 30 minutes for this section, of which at least 10 should be spent planning. The biggest mistake people make is going into the exam, panicking, and starting to write straight away. Please don't do that. Make sure you plan very very well before starting to write, as you're only given one sheet of paper and if you screw that up, it's over.

--

I've got plenty more tips but third year exams are coming up and I need to memorise a tonne of essays :/ Feel free to DM/quote me if you've got any more questions and I'll try to respond during one of my breaks :smile:

What should be used to learn the science in section 2

Did u use any gcse books?
Hi everyone,
I'm new to TSR :smile:
I've recently applied to cambridge as an international student and I've just been interviewed last week. I'm wondering how much emphasis they put on BMAT scores after interview is done? I got 6.9, 6.2, 3.5A, 10A*s, and the interview went fine. What are my odds of an offer? Thanks!
Hi any previous batch students know what was the bmat cut off for Imperial for international students? Even though the cut off last year was 4.5 4.5 2.5b, I'm sure, for international students who are competing for those 20 places should be highly competitive. If someone can share the minimum Bmat score of the international student who was invited for interview it will be of great help.
Original post by Medcraze
Hi any previous batch students know what was the bmat cut off for Imperial for international students? Even though the cut off last year was 4.5 4.5 2.5b, I'm sure, for international students who are competing for those 20 places should be highly competitive. If someone can share the minimum Bmat score of the international student who was invited for interview it will be of great help.

Internationals usually need to score at least band 2 IIRC - have a look at FOI requests to see if they have said what these have been in the past.
Original post by usycool1
Internationals usually need to score at least band 2 IIRC - have a look at FOI requests to see if they have said what these have been in the past.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. If you dont mind, Can u pls explain a bit more. What is Band 2 IIRC? How is it calculated? Is there any link where I can get the details. Thanks
Reply 4519
just wondering if anyone happens to remember the wording of the junior doctor strike bmat question

Latest

Trending

Trending