The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArchmageRohan
@tharakan
Don't do whole papers of TSA, they're quite long! Pick out mixture of verbal and problem solving. At first glance the verbal ones look similar to BMAT ones, you know where they ask for the conclusion of the passage, or what is the flaw in the argument etc. :smile:

Mate, you sound like your prepared!!!:smile: Have you already done all the papers?
Original post by tharakan
Mate, you sound like your prepared!!!:smile: Have you already done all the papers?

Nah no way! It's just that one of friends who did the BMAT last year suggested it haha. Haven't done all the past papers yet, still working through the old ones - this week will hopefully go through the questions for the new ones , how about you mate? Section 1 kills me though haha
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey do you guys have any tips for section 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone please help me with question 7 - 9 for section one BMAT paper 2003! would really appreciate it!
Original post by tharakan
How`s everyone feeling about the BMAT at the moment ?

Beyond ****. I've barely done any practice for it XD I don't mind too much because it only counts for one out of my four options and I've got a high UKCAT (800) so at least I know I have something to fall back on. Even so, I'm still worried. At the moment, I'm getting 5.5-5.7 in section 1 and 2. I'm planning on doing a tonne of papers every day (including TSA ones) and hopefully by Friday I will have improved? Will just have to see XD
Do we need to know suvat equations for the BMAT? My friend went on a course and they said we didn't need to know them but a few of the practice questions use them???

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are people finding the essays?
Original post by koolgurl14
What about the reactivity of the elements. I am pretty sure you need periodic table to know if something is more reactive than the other element ... unless we are expected to memorize them?

I think we are also given there order of reactivity eg A>B>C etc. I might just learn them just in case though
How would you go about answering this question? This types comes up quite often

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 11.46.52.png
Original post by Boople

is the answer E?
Original post by bmatgal123
Same, havent done any. Think Im going to just read over sample essays and write a few.

haha, I'm probably just gonna do the same to be honest.
Original post by thechemistress
Beyond ****. I've barely done any practice for it XD I don't mind too much because it only counts for one out of my four options and I've got a high UKCAT (800) so at least I know I have something to fall back on. Even so, I'm still worried. At the moment, I'm getting 5.5-5.7 in section 1 and 2. I'm planning on doing a tonne of papers every day (including TSA ones) and hopefully by Friday I will have improved? Will just have to see XD

How is that bad?
You're getting so good in section 1 and 2
Well done.
Reply 792
Can someone help me with this question from 2009 section 2. The answer is C.
I understand that it's beta because it makes it through 30cm of air and not 1m, but how do you calculate the half life if it takes 3 hours to go from 220 to 110 and 4 to go from 80 to 40. Surely background radiation is a constant at every measurement and affects both so doesn't need to be factored in. Havent done physics since GCSE so sorry if this is obvious
Original post by Boople

I got also stuck on this one until my friend explained it. It's pretty easy though :wink: I can send you a photo of the explanation as soon as I get home :wink:
Hi! Do you guys revise on electron configuration etc? I'm studying an austrian syllabus so I have no idea, but those electron shell rules described in the guide seem really really simplified to me... :smile:
I get a bit worried about what to expect as the guide practically doesn't include anything "difficult". :biggrin:
Reply 795
Original post by AQASUX
Can someone help me with this question from 2009 section 2. The answer is C.
I understand that it's beta because it makes it through 30cm of air and not 1m, but how do you calculate the half life if it takes 3 hours to go from 220 to 110 and 4 to go from 80 to 40. Surely background radiation is a constant at every measurement and affects both so doesn't need to be factored in. Havent done physics since GCSE so sorry if this is obvious

If you are given background radiation in the question (in this case you are slyly given it :tongue:) then you have to minus it from the original count rate before doing anything :smile:
Original post by ilovecake123
How is that bad?
You're getting so good in section 1 and 2
Well done.

No as in I'm not motivated at all XD it's horrible not wanting to work when you know you should be working XD
Does anyone know if the hormones related to the menstrual cycle (e.g. oestrogen, FSH, LH) could come up in Section 2?

I often see them come up in unofficial example questions but I have been through the entire 400-page "assumed subject knowledge" booklet and it contains nothing about them!
Can I not rely on the assumed subject knowledge booklet to contain all the background info necessary?

Thank you very much for any help
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 798
I did a specimen paper and I did pretty well in the first two sections. But I just did a 2009 paper and I've lost all the confidence I had from before. I did so bad. I'm panicking so much. I'm so bad at writing too.
Original post by thechemistress
No as in I'm not motivated at all XD it's horrible not wanting to work when you know you should be working XD

I get what you mean!
I'm tempted to take days of school but I know I won't do anything when I'm at home lol

Latest

Trending

Trending