The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

''Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd'' (Voltaire)

BE AS HARSH AS POSSIBLE! If is doesn't make sense, please please please tell me :smile:

This statement implies it is worse off to be certain, than to be doubtful. I think the writer is referring to the pitfalls that occur with being certain of a situation, where a bias may be created. Instead of somebody searching for options that exclude or weaken their certainty, the person will search for options that strengthen their hypothesis this is bias. With the occasion of doubt, however, the scientist will thoroughly research all possibilities relating to the case in order to generate a hypothesis.

Doubt is most certainly not a comfortable position to be in. Humans strive for classification in times of uncertainty because you feel a sense of kinship with your group. For example, the medical field is filled with uncertainty. Personally, I would rather be told that I have a rather more common disease than a rare genetic disorder doctors know little over. However,perhaps it is better to be doubtful than certain when it comes to diagnosing diseases because more tests may be run that may eventually lead to a cure rather than a rushed false positive diagnosis occurring.

On the other hand, it may be better to be certain about a situation than to be filled with doubt. When all options have been exhausted and one remains, no matter how improbable, the remaining option must be true. If a loved one has passed away, most people would rather know what happened to them so they have the closure they deserve.

Overall, I agree with Voltaire to an extent. Doubt is useful as it prevents cognitive certainty bias, but as humans, we often want to know answers and have closure..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Of course :smile: I'll post mine soon, and we can all feedback on each one?

Yeah sure! What kind of score do you need for UCL? I know they bring it out during interviews :O
GUYS, as we get closer to the date, start practising the essays! Post any of your practises here, and we'll all try to mark them (esp UCL applicants, you know why!)
Original post by aspiring_
Yeah sure! What kind of score do you need for UCL? I know they bring it out during interviews :O

I went to UCL for a summer course (BMAT essay) for a couple of weeks, and they said anything from 3A upwards. I think the average was a 3.5/4A though.
I went to UCL for a summer course (BMAT essay) for a couple of weeks, and they said anything from 3A upwards. I think the average was a 3.5/4A though.

(I don't know much about the essay section) but isn't that quite high?! :s-smilie: I should've expected that aha
how much is everyone doing a day to prepare?:smile:
Hey could someone explain the answer to this question. I'm sorry if I'm being stupid, but I just don't understand
The sum of the roots of a quadratic equation is 7, the product of the roots is 9. What is the equation?
A x^2+ 7x + 9 = 0
B x^2+ 7x 9 = 0
C x^2 7x + 9 = 0
D x^2 7x 9 = 0

The answer is C (why is it C and not A?)

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Is everyone memorising/learning the SUVAT equation?
Original post by aspiring_
Is everyone memorising/learning the SUVAT equation?

Yeah
Original post by maria33
Hey could someone explain the answer to this question. I'm sorry if I'm being stupid, but I just don't understand
The sum of the roots of a quadratic equation is 7, the product of the roots is 9. What is the equation?
A x^2+ 7x + 9 = 0
B x^2+ 7x 9 = 0
C x^2 7x + 9 = 0
D x^2 7x 9 = 0

The answer is C (why is it C and not A?)

Thanks

label the roots as x and y
a)x+y=7 (sum of the roots is 7)
b)xy=9 therefore x=9/y
substitute y/9 in to a:
9/y+y=7
9+y^2=7y
y^2-7y+9=0 (y is the same as writing x^2-7x+9=0)
, which is C.
I'm really struggling with revision - mostly I'm getting 6.1 - 6.5 on section 1 and 2 (except today where I messed up and got 4.5 and 4.1!!), and I have no idea how to improve. Help?
Do you want to mark each other's essays? :smile:

Yep :smile: maybe we can send them to each other in the evening?What do you think?
I'm feeling really really anxious because even though I know I do better than a majority of people, every time I mark my mocks my heart sinks. I just did one and even though the score is good I keep feeling like it isn't good enough for Oxford as I'm international. I know it's illogical but for the one I just did my score dipped below my average for Section 1 :frown: Also I have an econs exam tomorrow morning but I can't stop thinking about BMAT and it's ridiculous.
Original post by tehtarik
I'm feeling really really anxious because even though I know I do better than a majority of people, every time I mark my mocks my heart sinks. I just did one and even though the score is good I keep feeling like it isn't good enough for Oxford as I'm international. I know it's illogical but for the one I just did my score dipped below my average for Section 1 :frown: Also I have an econs exam tomorrow morning but I can't stop thinking about BMAT and it's ridiculous.

where're you from?
also what do you mean by a good score? :-) I'm international too but actually if you look at some information released by the Freedom of Information Act you'll find that bmat is just one of their many considerations - some people with good bmat scores don't make the cut eventually, while others with comparatively worse scores do.
Please help!
A survey of households in a town showed that (allowing for sampling errors) between 75% and 85% owned a dishwasher, between 35% and 40% owned a tumble dryer and less than 5% owned neither.How many people own both a tumble dryer and a dishwasher?

Between 10% and 30%. Between 15% and 25%. Between 20% and 30%. Between 25% and 35%. Between 30% and 45%.
Regarding section 3, is it true that as long as you answer all parts of the question they have to give you a 3?
Original post by PhoenixFire17
I'm really struggling with revision - mostly I'm getting 6.1 - 6.5 on section 1 and 2 (except today where I messed up and got 4.5 and 4.1!!), and I have no idea how to improve. Help?

How do you work out your score?
Please help:

At the front of the long column of soldiers is a man regularly hitting a drum 50 times a minute. The soldiers are told to place their left foot down on the ground when they hear the drum beat. The column is so long that the soldiers at the back put down their left feet at the same times as the soldiers in the front put down their right feet.

What is the minimum length of the column of soldiers? (Speed of sound in air is 330m/s)

The answer is 198m- HOW?
Original post by Nazullah125
Please help:

At the front of the long column of soldiers is a man regularly hitting a drum 50 times a minute. The soldiers are told to place their left foot down on the ground when they hear the drum beat. The column is so long that the soldiers at the back put down their left feet at the same times as the soldiers in the front put down their right feet.

What is the minimum length of the column of soldiers? (Speed of sound in air is 330m/s)

The answer is 198m- HOW?

beats - 60/50
half a beat - 60/100
330 x 60/100 = 198
Original post by silverskyx
where're you from?
also what do you mean by a good score? :-) I'm international too but actually if you look at some information released by the Freedom of Information Act you'll find that bmat is just one of their many considerations - some people with good bmat scores don't make the cut eventually, while others with comparatively worse scores do.

Singapore

For the one I just did - 2009
Section 1: 7.6
Section 2: 8.5

I'm worried about my Section 1. I know my Section 2 can't go much higher, but I was pretty much assuming I'd be in the 8s for Section 1 as well...

I don't have GCSEs or equivalents to my name, because of my school, so BMAT is pretty heavy for me.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending