The Student Room Group

What counts as relevant work experience for Medicine?

So far the only work experience I've heard from potential medics are working as a HCA, care worker etc. However are those the only forms of experience that are relevant for medicine? Could working in a school count at all?
Relevant medical work experience means volunteering or shadowing in a caring environment - hospices, hospitals, nursing homes etc. They need to know that you have had exposure to the kinds of environments that doctors work in and that this has helped you make a decision about studying medicine.

Working in a school may show the ability to communicate with the public/children and this experience/growing of skills could be mentioned in your PS, but it is not really medical work experience.
Original post by theresheglows
Relevant medical work experience means volunteering or shadowing in a caring environment - hospices, hospitals, nursing homes etc. They need to know that you have had exposure to the kinds of environments that doctors work in and that this has helped you make a decision about studying medicine.

Working in a school may show the ability to communicate with the public/children and this experience/growing of skills could be mentioned in your PS, but it is not really medical work experience.

I do plan to volunteer at a hospital one day alongside work-experience in a school. Thanks for the response!
Original post by Alan-K
I do plan to volunteer at a hospital one day alongside work-experience in a school. Thanks for the response!

One day won't be enough time to gain an insight into the career You should be aiming for a minimum of 2 weeks
Yup anything from voluntary work to hospital based experience! I know that a lot of uni's favour voluntary work such as care-home and general community based work more than shadowing doctors as they know how hard it is to get some exp in the hospital!

Although do get a chance to shadow a doctor to see if it is really what u are expecting. Google databases of consultants and find their secretaries or their own contact's and get at them!

If all else fails! Dress up smart but casual, pluck up some confidence and stroll into a ward at any major hospital near you and go to the doctors/nurses/any other healthcare worker, introduce yourself and say how you are keen on organising some work exp for yourself, you would be suprised trust me! Obviously maybe dont approach the busy, stressed blood-shot eyed looking docs/nurses. Goodluck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DoctorInTraining
One day won't be enough time to gain an insight into the career You should be aiming for a minimum of 2 weeks

I only did one week, seemed to work for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
I only did one week, seemed to work for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are no hard and fast rules - I can only base this on my experience interviewing candidates last year with one of the deans.

He said they like to see 2 weeks and ideally a mixture of primary and secondary care.

But 1 day is certainly not enough to reflect on effectively.
Original post by DoctorInTraining

One day as in I will some day. Sorry it seems like I did not use grammar there.

I didn't mean I am doing it for ONE DAY
I did a week in GP, spent 3 months as a ward volunteer and worked at a college during my gap year. I learnt the most through actually working and it was a lot easier to reflect on this at interview. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending