The Student Room Group

Higher Chemistry 2015 - 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qasim-98
In terms of the theory is it quite difficult? I saw a few equations/formulas as I flicked through the first pages... Usually the first part of the course is normally straightforward, I hope this is the case anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've just finished unit 1 as well and I'd say the reactions part is pretty easy since a lot of it was learned at national 5 although you do go into more depth on how catalysts work and also some people may find enthalpy change slightly tricky but overall pretty easy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an A for chemistry this year in reply to my earlier post! :biggrin:

First tip, buy the How to Pass CFE Higher Chemistry books, they are FANTASTIC especially for Maths and vital for chemistry too, i steered clear of scholar because i disliked the way it was laid out
Original post by ScottWM98
I got an A for chemistry this year in reply to my earlier post! :biggrin:

First tip, buy the How to Pass CFE Higher Chemistry books, they are FANTASTIC especially for Maths and vital for chemistry too, i steered clear of scholar because i disliked the way it was laid out

Which part of the course did you find hardest? Do you think it's pretty difficult for me to get an A at higher if I'm a crash higher student? I've just started reaction rates and I found the rest of unit 1 straightforward. Any tips ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone done a nab for unit 2? What things am I likely to expect I'm really panicking about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which part of the course did you find hardest? Do you think it's pretty difficult for me to get an A at higher if I'm a crash higher student? I've just started reaction rates and I found the rest of unit 1 straightforward. Any tips ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are finding it straightforward so far that is a good indicator, I found unit 2 was the easiest as it was all organic chemistry (might have changed a bit for the CfE) and unit 3 wasn't too hard either. At this stage no one can tell you if you can get an A or not, its all up to how hard you work to familiarise yourself with the questions that come up and the coursework.
Original post by Zain-A
If you are finding it straightforward so far that is a good indicator, I found unit 2 was the easiest as it was all organic chemistry (might have changed a bit for the CfE) and unit 3 wasn't too hard either. At this stage no one can tell you if you can get an A or not, its all up to how hard you work to familiarise yourself with the questions that come up and the coursework.

Did you do the old higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you do the old higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, but im doing the new AH now and i've found not much was different between old and new except for some name changes and little things. The exam is probs structured differently.
Hi guys, my chemistry unit 1 test is on Monday. Any advice ? Anyone know of any good links with unit 1 past papers ?
Original post by spongebob74
Has anyone done a nab for unit 2? What things am I likely to expect I'm really panicking about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have finished Unit 2 already ?!?
Original post by Mystery.
You have finished Unit 2 already ?!?

Yes,we have started with unit 2 and haven't done unit 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spongebob74
Yes,we have started with unit 2 and haven't done unit 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I see. How was it?
Does anyone know what they are doing their assignments on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mystery.
Ah, I see. How was it?

It was okay, a lot of pointless chemistry in it. You go back over esters and then look at fats and oils, proteins, anti-oxidants and then emulsifiers. Some stuff is just in there to fill up to the space like soaps and fragrances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know what they are doing their assignments on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We are doing ours on anti-oxidants, straight after our unit 2 nab this week, we haven't started unit 1 yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We're doing the assignment on vitamin C/orange juice I think. We're doing a class test on Bonding/Periodicity tomorrow, then the unit 1 NAR a week on Wednesday. Any specifics to study for?
Original post by ElasticJane
We're doing the assignment on vitamin C/orange juice I think. We're doing a class test on Bonding/Periodicity tomorrow, then the unit 1 NAR a week on Wednesday. Any specifics to study for?

Were doing it on Vit C too, I was supposed to do a test tomorrow on b&p but the people in my class wanted it on Friday, let me know how you find the vitamin C topic, because I've got to wait till march to do mine :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElasticJane

How was it?
The class test was pretty difficult, but I think our school makes its own minor tests, so you may get an easier or more dificult test.
Did it have 13 multiple choice questions and a lot of written response questions? Because that's all I've been told about the one I'm about to sit and for some reason I think other schools share resources & possibly tests

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup.. I can only remember one question though, you need to use electronegativity values and polarity of molecules to explain which compound is most likely to dissolve in water (a polar compound).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending