The Student Room Group

Share Your Worries About Going To Uni!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
My money hasn't come through yet. I'm worrying I won't have enough to live.

I first applied like two months ago, with my passport. What I didn't realise, because I never use it, was that it had expired. So then I sent off a birth certificate, but I needed someone I've known for 2 years to sign an identity form. I moved away since the end of my a-levels so now I have nobody nearby. I tried to explain the situation to SFE but they're totally inflexible. I've got a meeting on Sept. 12th for same-day passport delivery but it's £128.

I should get just under £400 from work two days before, but then I'll be spending a fair chunk of that on supplies for uni. Rent is £142pw. I might be able to ask the university to backdate my rent until my loans come through but that will still leave me with like £150 to live on for I-don't-know-how-long. It can take a month for them to do your evidence can't it?

Any advice? My parents aren't in a position to help and I wouldn't ask or let them know even if they were. I could go to my grandparents, but the thought of crawling to the Bank of Family so soon into adult life makes my skin crawl. I really don't know what to do.
Original post by jape

I first applied like two months ago, with my passport. What I didn't realise, because I never use it, was that it had expired. So then I sent off a birth certificate, but I needed someone I've known for 2 years to sign an identity form. I moved away since the end of my a-levels so now I have nobody nearby. I tried to explain the situation to SFE but they're totally inflexible. I've got a meeting on Sept. 12th for same-day passport delivery but it's £128.

I should get just under £400 from work two days before, but then I'll be spending a fair chunk of that on supplies for uni. Rent is £142pw. I might be able to ask the university to backdate my rent until my loans come through but that will still leave me with like £150 to live on for I-don't-know-how-long. It can take a month for them to do your evidence can't it?

Any advice? My parents aren't in a position to help and I wouldn't ask or let them know even if they were. I could go to my grandparents, but the thought of crawling to the Bank of Family so soon into adult life makes my skin crawl. I really don't know what to do.

Student bank accounts will generally start you off with a £500 over draft
I'm worried about moving to another country with a much colder climate than I'm used to. I'm worried about having to manage stuff on my own because I've always been quite coddled at home. Worried about making friends in Britain--I've heard lots of stuff about the drinking culture, and about not liking my course or my roommates(I have two!!)
I'm also excited about the same things I've mentioned but it's two days until I fly to the UK and right now I just want to snuggle in my warm blanket and never leave home :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by angelfox
what's the easiest way to make friends at uni? I really struggle at making the jump from acquaintance to friends already

First couple nights, I advise just wondering around with some drinks and stumbling upon people sitting outside around your halls. Especially on the first night since most don't have clubbing nights on arrival day. This will give you an idea of the crowd around you. If you don't drink, it's a little tougher but I'm sure you'll manage. This is mostly networking so you never are truly alone - you'll always have someone near you throughout freshers who you've spoken to before. Being on your own and looking like you're uncomfortable and out of place will deter people from talking to you.

Flat mates are obviously a good start, but don't just stop at your flat. The floor below, above, down your corridor etc will be more people. EVERYBODY is in the same boat, you'll be surprised how easy people who would of been very different at college can bond so easily given the circumstances.

Coursemates are again a good source - but don't just find one person and stick with that person, move around a bit but obviously keep it small numbers - 1 friend is worth 100 aquaintices.

Honestly, you really shouldn't worry about friends. You'll meet hundreds of people but you'll know who the ones you'll be around are instantly. Everybody is looking for friends - cliques won't of developed like they would of right at the start of college. It's just about being accepting of different people, you'll be more liked and a friendship can grow a lot more smoother. Just chill about it. You're going to be fine, 99% of students will tell you their initial worries about friends were forgotten within a few weeks
Original post by jape

Can't assist you much with SF

In terms of payments for halls (this isn't for private houses). My uni does the full years payments in 3 installations. This does mean you don't constantly have to have the money every week, just 3 big chunks. If you don't have enough it's likely you'll have to ask for additional funding from someone in your family if your loan doesn't cover it. I'd suggest getting a part time job in 1st year (it's likely you'll have to work throughout the summer too) - check out your student union as they usually have a job thing set up. And then paying them back if you have to. Theres no shame in asking for money from your family. Also look and research additional grants etc that you could be entitled too - might be best to speak to a financial adviser in the uni which most do have.

As well as well as this you can easily get £500-£2000 0% student overdrafts - be warned though, you should not rely on that. It's a last option and you've got to pay it back.
Original post by sellerofdreams
I'm worried about moving to another country with a much colder climate than I'm used to. I'm worried about having to manage stuff on my own because I've always been quite coddled at home. Worried about making friends in Britain--I've heard lots of stuff about the drinking culture, and about not liking my course or my roommates(I have two!!)
I'm also excited about the same things I've mentioned but it's two days until I fly to the UK and right now I just want to snuggle in my warm blanket and never leave home :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Britains not bad - just pick the right people who you want to be around.

Also, if you're coming from a decent sized country its likely you'll have a bunch of fellow students coming over on the plane with you. My Chinese flat mate in first year came on a plane that was exclusively students, and a significant amount actually came with him to our uni with him - people he'd never known became friends within hours on a plane. You'll find people that are in the exact same situation as you I'm sure :smile:
i'm extremely worried right now...

my VISA got delayed by at least 1 week...

i will miss the whole fresher week, the week of students making many friends or at least acquaintance...

i'm not good at making real friend... i thought i could do fresh start at uni but this really ruins my plan...

last year international foundation i had a TONS of acquaintance, you can say that i'm kind of "popular", i know many people and many people know me,but i have 0, zero real friend. my closest "friend" is just flat mate who happened to always cook and eat at the same time as me... nothing more, except old friends from my home country which i can only talk to them online...

it's even worse that the fact that i'm overseas student, it's gonna be even harder for me...

i already have a feeling that my uni life is ****ed right now...

let alone friend... i won't even have acquaintance this way...

full 3 years of miserable life...

god, it hasn't even started yet but i'm already depressed as **** right now...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Everyone has worries about going to uni, that's perfectly normal, and chances are, other people have the same concerns as you.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where people could share these concerns, and current uni students can reassure them. Sometimes, just knowing other people have the same concerns as you does help!

Some really common concerns we see on TSR every year include:

- What if my flatmates don't like me? Remember, most people do end up with flatmates they like, or at least can be civil to. In really bad living situations, you can sometimes move flats. However, not being best mates with your flatmates is fine too- most people make their best friends on their course or through societies.
- Can I still make friends if I don't drink? This is such a common question that there must be a lot of people going to uni who don't drink, or don't drink very often! Most societies do offer events that don't revolve around drinking, and most people do other things than just get drunk at uni. You will make friends, and everything will be fine!
- Will people judge me because I'm religious/ a virgin/ don't like clubbing/ have a medical condition? People who judge you for any reason aren't worth knowing. Most people at uni are really open minded, and will hopefully get along with you, but there will always be some rubbish people in every situation. If someone does judge you, they are the ones who will look bad. Just remember to keep an open mind, and respect that not everyone will have the same point of view as you.

Some people may also worry about the cost of living, or coping with study.
Don't forget that your uni can offer help with this if you need it, and they really want you to succeed. Ask for help if you need it!

I leave for uni on Sunday, and I think I've not only picked the wrong course, but the wrong university.

My ultimate aim is to work in TV production as a scriptwriter. I didn't want to do a degree in TV production itself, none of the unis I looked at really worked for me (I live in the West Midlands and wanted to study fairly close to home as I have a medical condition that flares up without warning). So I chose a university I won't specify for a degree in Film and a modern language. But now that I'm about to leave, I have been looking at a course in practical filmmaking in London... and I think I prefer it.

My parents have been supportive, but tell me to try the Russell Group uni I got into first. Only I feel hugely enthusiastic about the course in London, and terrified of the course I will be doing. My A-levels were a nightmare as a close family member had cancer, and I spent the whole time they were ill trying to get into this uni only to now no longer want to go.

So my worry about going to uni is... that I'll be going to uni.
For all those feeling a bit 'lost' at Uni at the moment, here's a really simply tip - every night before you go to bed, make of note about something nice/funny/positive that happened at Uni that day and put it on a sticky note on your wall. Before long you will have a wall covered in positive experiences about being at Uni and you will forget to focus on the more negative things about being at Uni. Try it - it really helps.
I'm feeling a bit lost too with the work I gotta get done, I haven't started my course and I already feel overwhelmed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iloveteddy14
I'm feeling a bit lost too with the work I gotta get done, I haven't started my course and I already feel overwhelmed

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exactly do you have to get done? Is it general admin stuff, or more like coursework?

Firstly, I suggest making a list of everything you need to do, and when you need to do it by. Depending on the tasks, maybe also list how long you think they will take. Then, assign yourself a couple of things to do off the list each day (or just one thing if it's a really big task) and get that one thing done. Don't worry about anything else until it's the day to do that thing.

If you're still feeling overwhelmed, or don't see how you can fit everything in, go and speak to someone- maybe your personal tutor, or student services or someone at the SU. They'll be able to help you, and maybe let you know if you're trying to do too much for each task, or how better to structure your time.

Unis don't want to set you up to fail, especially right at the start of first year, so do ask for help!
Is city university London fun?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was having a look at the module materials briefly as my course is distance learning and it seemed a massive jump I'm making and now I'm in second phase of my degree I'm finding it confusing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone has worries about going to uni, that's perfectly normal, and chances are, other people have the same concerns as you.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where people could share these concerns, and current uni students can reassure them. Sometimes, just knowing other people have the same concerns as you does help!

Some really common concerns we see on TSR every year include:

- What if my flatmates don't like me? Remember, most people do end up with flatmates they like, or at least can be civil to. In really bad living situations, you can sometimes move flats. However, not being best mates with your flatmates is fine too- most people make their best friends on their course or through societies.
- Can I still make friends if I don't drink? This is such a common question that there must be a lot of people going to uni who don't drink, or don't drink very often! Most societies do offer events that don't revolve around drinking, and most people do other things than just get drunk at uni. You will make friends, and everything will be fine!
- Will people judge me because I'm religious/ a virgin/ don't like clubbing/ have a medical condition? People who judge you for any reason aren't worth knowing. Most people at uni are really open minded, and will hopefully get along with you, but there will always be some rubbish people in every situation. If someone does judge you, they are the ones who will look bad. Just remember to keep an open mind, and respect that not everyone will have the same point of view as you.

Some people may also worry about the cost of living, or coping with study.
Don't forget that your uni can offer help with this if you need it, and they really want you to succeed. Ask for help if you need it!
i am going to live at home cuz my uni is 30 min away so it will be cheaper. im scared i will miss out on freshers week though. any advive????
I'm worried about transitioning to the new work techniques (e.g. independent reading and special essays etc), being away from home, being out of my usual routine, rooming with people I hate, and feeling pressured to drink especially
Reply 195
Hello everyone !! I will be 17 when I go to uni next year and I would like to know if life as an under age is difficult during your first year ?

btw : I won't be 18 until march of 2017
Original post by MedievalWitch
Although I am taking a gap year i am still really nervous about freshers week and making friends. I'm looking at going to University of Wales Trinity St David Lampeter campus either next year or the year after, which is 5 hours away from where i live. I've never had a proper social group or large group of friends and I've only been to 2 parties my whole teenage life at ages 14 and 16 (I know sad right!). My problem is that i don't drink because i just don't like it and I've never been to a club or anywhere :/ I also suffer from really bad migraines when lighting is off and i remember i had to sit out of the school disco because of my headaches - this i fear is going to stop me going to clubs and making friends. I'm a very quiet person and prefer small friend groups and quieter activities but i know freshers is all about partying and clubbing and making friends that way.
I guess what i'm trying to say is i'm scared of going to freshers week because i don't drink, cant really hack clubs because of migraines and scared of not making friends because of this :/ any help??? :':wink:

I have the same kinda issues - I don't drink alcohol, have never been out partying or clubbing as such hence don't know the social rules :frown: I think that I wll still go to freshers and see how it goes. I am sure a couple days in some of your flatmates will want to have a quiet night anyway, so that might be the best opportunity to get to know them when everyone else is out
Original post by rhiannonm25
I'm scared that I won't be mature enough for uni. I think when I go everyone will be really smart and I will struggle to keep up with things. I would really like to take a year out to mature and do some volunteering and see more of my country but my mum doesn't want me to take a gap year. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to go to uni and study something I'm so interessted in!! but I just know deep down I'm not ready for this yet..

I say, do whatever you think is best for you. Maybe your mum does't want you to have a gap year because she think that she will have to pay for it? If you want another year, then go travel and get part time jobs along the way in cafe's or whatever. That way you get to see more of the country/world, mature a bit and realise what you actually want to get out of Uni Life
Original post by candycaneland500
i am going to live at home cuz my uni is 30 min away so it will be cheaper. im scared i will miss out on freshers week though. any advive????

Firstly, freshers week is not the be all and end all. Sure, it can be super fun, but you can still make friends and have a good social experience without necessarily having a wonderful freshers week.

Still, if the university is only 30 minutes away, I imagine you can get there and back using public transport/taxis if you want to go for a night out. Lots of people will be going to events alone- so pick an event you like the sound of, and turn up and make friends.

Definitely go to freshers fair/fayre/faire and look at the societies, again, it's totally usual to go to these things alone, or to split up from people you know at these events, so no-one will think you're weird if you don't have anyone to go with.
Firstly, freshers week is not the be all and end all. Sure, it can be super fun, but you can still make friends and have a good social experience without necessarily having a wonderful freshers week.

Still, if the university is only 30 minutes away, I imagine you can get there and back using public transport/taxis if you want to go for a night out. Lots of people will be going to events alone- so pick an event you like the sound of, and turn up and make friends.

Definitely go to freshers fair/fayre/faire and look at the societies, again, it's totally usual to go to these things alone, or to split up from people you know at these events, so no-one will think you're weird if you don't have anyone to go with.

thanks for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending