The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Uni Law offer, should I accept?

Hiya everyone, having second thoughts on putting Durham as my first choice for law as I have heard some pretty bad stories about the uni itself and Im thinking id rather go to Lancaster or Glasgow :smile: is the uni really full of ‘oxbridge rejects’ and is student life really as bad as it seems to be described as in some other forums? Im not sure if Durham is right for me, some context I am from south wales and my offer is A*AA and I am not sure if Durham (while I am very grateful for my offer) is the right place for me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #1
Hiya everyone, having second thoughts on putting Durham as my first choice for law as I have heard some pretty bad stories about the uni itself and Im thinking id rather go to Lancaster or Glasgow :smile: is the uni really full of ‘oxbridge rejects’ and is student life really as bad as it seems to be described as in some other forums? Im not sure if Durham is right for me, some context I am from south wales and my offer is A*AA and I am not sure if Durham (while I am very grateful for my offer) is the right place for me.

After Oxbridge and London it is Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick, York, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield that are targeted by Law firms. 🙂
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by thegeek888

After Oxbridge and London it is Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick, York, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield that are targeted by Law firms. 🙂

Thank you! I have also applied to York but haven’t heard anything from them so hopefully I will :smile:
Reply 3

Durham is a great university, one of the elite for law alongside Oxbridge, UCL, LSE - it is consistently ranked 3rd for number of trainees in top London law firms (Chambers Student) despite its geographical position, in some years even beating Cambridge. Law firms do not care what university you go to as long as its a good one (what I mean by this is they do not discriminate between most RG universities), but often times the best applicants happen to go to top universities. In Oxbridge you will certainly find Durham rejects as well but will likely be less but also less reported so I would not worry about this arbitrary label. If you think you will be happy at another university then go for that, I currently have an offer from Lancaster and am waiting for Durham (3x A* predicted, 32 LNAT A in EPQ). When I went on the open day I loved it - if you have not been there I would recommend going so you can make an informed decision. Everybody's experience will be different as well so it is very difficult to say which University you would prefer more.

Hope this helps mate 🙂
Reply 4
Original post by pvma

Durham is a great university, one of the elite for law alongside Oxbridge, UCL, LSE - it is consistently ranked 3rd for number of trainees in top London law firms (Chambers Student) despite its geographical position, in some years even beating Cambridge. Law firms do not care what university you go to as long as its a good one (what I mean by this is they do not discriminate between most RG universities), but often times the best applicants happen to go to top universities. In Oxbridge you will certainly find Durham rejects as well but will likely be less but also less reported so I would not worry about this arbitrary label. If you think you will be happy at another university then go for that, I currently have an offer from Lancaster and am waiting for Durham (3x A* predicted, 32 LNAT A in EPQ). When I went on the open day I loved it - if you have not been there I would recommend going so you can make an informed decision. Everybody's experience will be different as well so it is very difficult to say which University you would prefer more.

Hope this helps mate 🙂

Hi
Original post by pvma

Hope this helps mate 🙂

Thank you so much! That’s super helpful, are you applying for law too?
Reply 6
Original post by Dyendle12

Hope this helps mate 🙂

Thank you so much! That’s super helpful, are you applying for law too?No problem and yes I am, I also have offers from Lancaster and York 🙂
Original post by pvma
Original post by Dyendle12

Hope this helps mate 🙂

No problem and yes I am, I also have offers from Lancaster and York 🙂

Hi I have a question, basically ucas made an error where it says that my starting date for all courses is 2025 and I only say this yesterday and yesterday I emailed all universities telling them there was an admin error and to consider me as a 2024 applicant. I am anxiously waiting for next week for them to reply but do u think they will let me change and be considered as a 2024 applicant, please reply I am so scared I cried so much last night
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #2
No problem and yes I am, I also have offers from Lancaster and York 🙂

Hi I have a question, basically ucas made an error where it says that my starting date for all courses is 2025 and I only say this yesterday and yesterday I emailed all universities telling them there was an admin error and to consider me as a 2024 applicant. I am anxiously waiting for next week for them to reply but do u think they will let me change and be considered as a 2024 applicant, please reply I am so scared I cried so much last nightDo not worry - I would say they would allow you to change the entry date because to my knowledge they only really have an issue if you want to defer your entry to a later date, but I am not sure as this is a unique situation. I would not see why they would not change the date for you as it seems like no problem. Seriously do not worry and this is likely nothing to cry about, focus on your subjects to get the best possible grades you can as this is largely out of your control, the most you can do is email them as you have done - if they have not responded within a week I'd say email again.
Reply 9
Original post by pvma

Hi I have a question, basically ucas made an error where it says that my starting date for all courses is 2025 and I only say this yesterday and yesterday I emailed all universities telling them there was an admin error and to consider me as a 2024 applicant. I am anxiously waiting for next week for them to reply but do u think they will let me change and be considered as a 2024 applicant, please reply I am so scared I cried so much last night
Do not worry - I would say they would allow you to change the entry date because to my knowledge they only really have an issue if you want to defer your entry to a later date, but I am not sure as this is a unique situation. I would not see why they would not change the date for you as it seems like no problem. Seriously do not worry and this is likely nothing to cry about, focus on your subjects to get the best possible grades you can as this is largely out of your control, the most you can do is email them as you have done - if they have not responded within a week I'd say email again.

I am so scared the universities I need to get into are Durham and Warwick they arey only chances left

I am so scared the universities I need to get into are Durham and Warwick they arey only chances left
Hi there

Please don't worry. I am assuming you have already filled out the Ask Us form for contacting the admissions team with your request- if not, you should do it as soon as possible. I would also recommend ringing them on Monday morning as they might be able to quickly make the admin changes (if possible) instead of you having to wait for email correspondence.

Contact details are here- https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/ask-us/

-Himieka
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Durham Students

Hi there

Please don't worry. I am assuming you have already filled out the Ask Us form for contacting the admissions team with your request- if not, you should do it as soon as possible. I would also recommend ringing them on Monday morning as they might be able to quickly make the admin changes (if possible) instead of you having to wait for email correspondence.

-Himieka

Thank you so much I am just so stressed out I am crying right now when I rang them on Friday they said to ring ucas but then when I rang ucas they said to go tell universities and I did the enquiries form I’m just so stressed by waiting
Original post by marg2838
Hi there

-Himieka

Thank you so much I am just so stressed out I am crying right now when I rang them on Friday they said to ring ucas but then when I rang ucas they said to go tell universities and I did the enquiries form I’m just so stressed by waiting

I understand how awful this situation must be! If you can share your name with me via DM then I can try and flag your query with the admissions team so you can have a quicker response :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi there

-Himieka

I understand how awful this situation must be! If you can share your name with me via DM then I can try and flag your query with the admissions team so you can have a quicker response :smile:

-Himieka

My DMs aren’t on because I just downloaded this app today but can u please just request my Instagram so we can speak there please it’s margiahxo

-Himieka

My DMs aren’t on because I just downloaded this app today but can u please just request my Instagram so we can speak there please it’s margiahxo

Unfortunately, I cannot add your socials since I am acting in a professional capacity. I am happy to assist you on LinkedIn, however.

-Himieka
(edited 1 month ago)

-Himieka

Unfortunately, I cannot add your socials since I am acting in a professional capacity. I am happy to assist you on LinkedIn, however.

-Himieka

My LinkedIn is Margiah Gazi, please can you request that asap because I think I’m moments away from a panic attack
My LinkedIn is Margiah Gazi, please can you request that asap because I think I’m moments away from a panic attack

Margiah, please try to relax. Since I have your name now, I will share this with them and see if they can chase your query faster. The admissions team do not work over the weekends so the earliest you will have a response is on Monday. I hope you do not worry too much- if possible, try to distract yourself with something.

-Himieka
(edited 1 month ago)

Margiah, please try to relax. Since I have your name now, I will share this with them and see if they can chase your query faster. The admissions team do not work over the weekends so the earliest you will have a response is on Monday. I hope you do not worry too much- if possible, try to distract yourself with something.

-Himieka

Thank you so much honestly thank you, I still am very panicked but with your help i have better reassurance of a faster response thank you so much, I will let you know if there is an update in Monday

What everyone wants out of a uni is different, so obvi I can't guarantee how you'll find Durham, however I know several people who went to Durham and loved it! I don't know how much of a party uni it is, but I think it has things like balls and formals, which some unis do not. If you feel another uni is a better fit for you though, go for it! You don't want to spend 3 years unhappy if it rlly isn't the uni for you
Original post by lawofducks123

What everyone wants out of a uni is different, so obvi I can't guarantee how you'll find Durham, however I know several people who went to Durham and loved it! I don't know how much of a party uni it is, but I think it has things like balls and formals, which some unis do not. If you feel another uni is a better fit for you though, go for it! You don't want to spend 3 years unhappy if it rlly isn't the uni for you

Thanks! I’m starting to really like the idea of going there now as I look into it more, watching student vlogs helps too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest