The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Any other Mature MMU Students?

Hey

I have accepted an offer to study Spanish/TESOL at MMU this Sept - and although I am excited to kill one of my biggest regrets of not going to uni, I am concerned I will be the only Mature student on the course.

I am 32, do you think I will find it hard to "fit in" (I am still 21 in my head ha) - ???

Any comments to put me at ease VERY welcome :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by KevH
Hey

I have accepted an offer to study Spanish/TESOL at MMU this Sept - and although I am excited to kill one of my biggest regrets of not going to uni, I am concerned I will be the only Mature student on the course.

I am 32, do you think I will find it hard to "fit in" (I am still 21 in my head ha) - ???

Any comments to put me at ease VERY welcome :smile:

Hi Kev, I'm 38 and starting an MSC in Sept at Manchester Met, nice to see another 30 something on this forum. Whereabouts are you from?
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Hi Guys.

I'm 34 & starting in September on a History degree. Are you living in Manchester or travelling in? I'll be travelling in from Derbyshire 😊
Hi I am a mature student, and I will be studying primary education at the Crewe campus. When I attended the open day at the Crewe campus recently, I asked how many mature students were starting my course in September. I was told six students!

Good luck with your studies :-)
Reply 4
Hi,
I am 33 and I will be studying nutritional sciences I live in Manchester. :smile:
Reply 5
I'll be 36 when I start my course in September.. I'm studying Physiotherapy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'm classed as 'mature' too and I'm going to be starting psychology in September; at the grand old age of 32!

I'm certain my course will be mostly young 'un's based on what my open day was like. Does everyone live locally, or are you coming to Manchester specially to do this? (This is what I anticipate will be the biggest difference between me and the majority of my classmates).
Reply 7
Haha! Mature? You are but young whippersnappers compared to me. I think I'm perhaps having a mid life - 49 and studying English Lit in September! Just done an Access and everyone on my course was over 20 years younger but we all had a blast. Slightly nervous about the next stage though :eek::eek:
Reply 8
49? You should be confidently cruising your way through life, not giving a flying flippit what anyone thinks of you ☺️ I have to admit that when I went on an open day last year I did ask if they had a union for OAP students 😜 *ahem* I mean "mature" students...
Reply 9
So did I! I was assured MMU is awash with pensioners *cough* Mature students, but on open days it felt like a search for the lesser spotted aardvark haha! I'm going with the thought that it could be a lonely 3 years and anything else is a bonus! Good job I relish a challenge...
Reply 10
Good to see there are plenty of other mature students starting this Sept too - hopefully there will be others on my course too!

Good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 11
Hello!

I am starting physiotherapy in September as well, dobbsy! I'm an international student and am classified as a mature student at 25 years old. I'm so glad to see that we're in the same course!
Reply 12
Original post by powmae
Hello!

I am starting physiotherapy in September as well, dobbsy! I'm an international student and am classified as a mature student at 25 years old. I'm so glad to see that we're in the same course!

cool.. will see you there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 24 and worried I'm going to be one of the oldest! Studying business management! X
Hey all, I'm 27 and very likely to be studying Philosophy at MMU main campus.

And while im here in the mature student section, is anyone looking to buddy up/house share or have a spare room? This is something I'd really like to sort out before accepting my offer!
I am 24 and doing Law (foundation) 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

I'm 27 and I'm joining MMU this September as an MSc student. It'll be the first time I attend 'traditional' university so I'm pretty nervous but very excited!

Michelle -x-
Hiya! I'm classed as "mature" ha! I'll be 32 when I start in Sept, I found out today I've got my place. I can finally get excited now 😄
Original post by SkintBint
Hiya! I'm classed as "mature" ha! I'll be 32 when I start in Sept, I found out today I've got my place. I can finally get excited now 😄

Congratulations!!
Likewise, and to everyone else of course! :smile: I'm just in the process of doing my online enrolment and having a nosy at the stuff I can access already. It feels like I've been going round in circles for hours, something is bound to have sunk in though which should hopefully help during not-so-freshers week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending