The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Illustration with Animation BA Hons: Is it any good?

I’m thinking of doing either ‘Animation’ or ‘Animation with Illustration’ at Manchester Metropolitan University in 2021 and I was wondering if anyone here did either of those courses at MMU.

The ‘Animation with Illustration’ course is fairly new from what I’ve heard so I can’t find much about it so it would be great to know what it’s like from a student’s perspective.

Specifically, I would like to know what type of animation is done on the course and if it has an in-depth study of it, not like a one-off unit or something. Also, what is student life like? Are the teachers, facilities and the university in general any good?

I currently live in Leicester so I can go to DMU to study Animation but I am able to relocate to Manchester, MMU being the only other uni I can go to that does ‘Illustration with Animation’.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! :biggrin:
Original post by pea_bean_21
I’m thinking of doing either ‘Animation’ or ‘Animation with Illustration’ at Manchester Metropolitan University in 2021 and I was wondering if anyone here did either of those courses at MMU.

The ‘Animation with Illustration’ course is fairly new from what I’ve heard so I can’t find much about it so it would be great to know what it’s like from a student’s perspective.

Specifically, I would like to know what type of animation is done on the course and if it has an in-depth study of it, not like a one-off unit or something. Also, what is student life like? Are the teachers, facilities and the university in general any good?

I currently live in Leicester so I can go to DMU to study Animation but I am able to relocate to Manchester, MMU being the only other uni I can go to that does ‘Illustration with Animation’.

Hi @pea_bean_21 :hello:

Great to hear you're interested in applying to study at Manchester Met in 2021 :smile:.

Regarding your questions about the two courses, BA (Hons) Illustration a brand-new course that will launch for the first time in September 2021, as part of the new Manchester School of Digital Arts (SODA). If you would like to find out more about this course, I would recommend signing up to one of our Virtual Open Days, as you will get the opportunity to interact with course tutors and get all your questions answered! You can sign up and register your interest here :top:.

We also have BA (Hons) Illustration with Animation, which is part of our Manchester School of Art (MSoA). The course has been offered to students for quite a while and you can read more about it here. You can also contact one our current students on the course through The Access Platform feature on our website and ask all the questions you may have!

I hope this helps :h: - if you have any other questions, just give us a shout :biggrin:

Cheers,

Luca
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Hii, I’ve also applied for illustration with animation for this year 2021 in MMU. I’m also trying find out more about people’s experiences from this course
Reply 3
Hiya! That’s cool! Maybe we’ll end up being in the same class if we get into MMU! ^ - ^
Hopefully I get in. That would be awesome if we were in the same class too!! ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ Also is it okay to ask if you’ve already uploaded your portfolio or received any interview dates?
Reply 5
Hi, I have gotten an offer from MMU for illustration with animation and i would really like to know about it from the students and other general informations for the semester stating this September if possible..
Original post by Geeshnaa
Hi, I have gotten an offer from MMU for illustration with animation and i would really like to know about it from the students and other general informations for the semester stating this September if possible..

Hey, I did one year of this course but dropped out after completing the first year as I wasn’t enjoying it. But when you start you just do a few ice breakers, put into groups do some group work and in the first semester you do a project about Manchester, do life drawings and kinda work with different styles etc.
Reply 7

I dropped out too after first year, I’m doing a fashion course at a college this year instead. I found the course was badly managed and we didn’t learn much. The first years organised a meeting with the staff to complain but they largely dismissed our concerns. Unfortunately I wasn’t the only one in my year that dropped out.
Reply 8
I dropped out too after first year, I’m doing a fashion course at a college this year instead. I found the course was badly managed and we didn’t learn much. The first years organised a meeting with the staff to complain but they largely dismissed our concerns. Unfortunately I wasn’t the only one in my year that dropped out.

this was in…?
cuz i have been a huge fan of the animation courses but if its gonna be like this then… especially cuz they gave an admission when my portfolio wasn’t even submitted..
this was in…?
cuz i have been a huge fan of the animation courses but if its gonna be like this then… especially cuz they gave an admission when my portfolio wasn’t even submitted..

I started in 2021 and dropped out at the end of the academic year in 2022. I personally just feel like this course was boring to me. It was repetitive and there wasn’t much guidance and a little unprofessional but you could deffo try it out! I believe you can transfer courses within two weeks from when you first start if you don’t like the course. Lmk if you’d like any help w anything else :smile:
Reply 10
Isn’t that the time when the course was first introduced or started in MMU? Anyways, thank you so much for your inputs and i will definitely take that into consideration
Original post by AkechisPancakes
I started in 2021 and dropped out at the end of the academic year in 2022. I personally just feel like this course was boring to me. It was repetitive and there wasn’t much guidance and a little unprofessional but you could deffo try it out! I believe you can transfer courses within two weeks from when you first start if you don’t like the course. Lmk if you’d like any help w anything else :smile:
Reply 11
this was in…?

I started September 2021 and left in June 2022.
Isn’t that the time when the course was first introduced or started in MMU? Anyways, thank you so much for your inputs and i will definitely take that into consideration

If I’m not wrong, I believe that this course has been going on for a few years now and you’re welcome! Happy to help :smile:
Reply 13
If I’m not wrong, I believe that this course has been going on for a few years now and you’re welcome! Happy to help :smile:

Is thee anyone who has stayed throughout that i can connect to?
Is thee anyone who has stayed throughout that i can connect to?

Hi @Geeshnaa

Some other previous students may find your post! I am afraid it is not something I can comment on as I didn't study the course. You may find it useful to attend one of our open days to find out more about the course, you will have the opportunity to speak to our course tutors and some of our students so it might be a great opportunity for you to gain their perspectives. Our next open day is the 21st of June and we will have more in October and November. You can find information here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/subject

I hope this helps!

Carly :smile:

@AkechisPancakes

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the course! Hopefully, after addressing your concerns they were able to make some changes. I hope you are enjoying the new Fashion course you are studying and wish you all the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending