The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

calumc
What is a synoptic paper? (Ignorant Scottish student here)

Nasty application of knowledge paper, requiring you to know all the stuff from the past two years. Knowing's not the problem, but applying it is. :smile:
Reply 61
I can't remember what I got in my synoptic. I remember it had a question about photoelectric effect though.
Reply 62
Mysticmin
Nasty application of knowledge paper, requiring you to know all the stuff from the past two years. Knowing's not the problem, but applying it is. :smile:

Ah, sounds a bit like our paper then. We only get one paper per year covering the whole course!
shiny
I can't remember what I got in my synoptic. I remember it had a question about photoelectric effect though.

I'm good with the photoelectric effect, one of the past papers I did had this annoying question on a megapower tower, really quite difficult.
calumc
Ah, sounds a bit like our paper then. We only get one paper per year covering the whole course!

oh, we get 4 other papers to do as well, we just have this bitch of a paper at the end of year 13, which covers everything we did for both years of the A level. It really is impossible to revise for.
Reply 65
i love sypnoptic papers, the only ones i do well in :frown:
Reply 66
wiwarin_mir
oh, we get 4 other papers to do as well, we just have this bitch of a paper at the end of year 13, which covers everything we did for both years of the A level. It really is impossible to revise for.

We get 3 easy papers (for the units) which don't count towards your grade (but you have to pass them anyway) and one hard final paper covering the whole course each year. You basically have to revise everything.
Reply 67
random point:

should this thread be in the 'About UKL' subforum?
Reply 68
4Ed
random point:

should this thread be in the 'About UKL' subforum?

I suspect they're trying to get attention for an Engineering subforum.
Reply 69
rate the thread!
Reply 70
wiwarin_mir
I'm good with the photoelectric effect, one of the past papers I did had this annoying question on a megapower tower, really quite difficult.

Edexcel 2000?
shiny
Edexcel 2000?

I think so. It was really annoying, although I did manage to get parts of it right. I have to say that I am not looking forward to my synoptic paper at all, no doubt I will get the lowest of my marks on there.
Reply 72
wiwarin_mir
I think so. It was really annoying, although I did manage to get parts of it right. I have to say that I am not looking forward to my synoptic paper at all, no doubt I will get the lowest of my marks on there.

OMG! That's the one I did!
shiny
OMG! That's the one I did!

how much did you get on it?
Reply 74
wiwarin_mir

I'll have to look it up.
shiny
Edexcel 2000?

Sounds right, I remember doing really well on a very old paper, and then the marks went downhill, then peaked again when it hit Edexcel 2002/2003/2004. I feel like my marks follow a cosine curve :biggrin:
Reply 76
wiwarin_mir

A lot. More than was necessary!
shiny
A lot. More than was necessary!

You got full marks didn't you <glares>
Reply 78
Mysticmin
You got full marks didn't you <glares>

Not quite but almost.
shiny
Not quite but almost.

Gah, if we rid the country of candidates like you then me and wiwarin would be in with a chance... :cool:

Latest