The Student Room Group

is microsoft office worth it?

i have a macbook and currently i only have the apple version of microsoft office but its such a pain always having to convert file types, im going to uni in september and it costs about £40 but i assume it will make uni a lot easier, plus microsoft is easier to use but im wondering if its worth it?
Your uni should give you it free.
Reply 2
My friends uni's gave it to him for free, so check wheather your uni gives it before you buy it.
100% it is worth it. Have you thought about buying a microsoft surface too? You can search for it here - bing.com

We offer student discounts. Thank you.
Reply 4
ahh thank you, ill wait to see if i can get it from my uni then :smile:
No what is the point? Just right click and they let you convert it straight away, it's easier. Majority of people in the university where I live use MacBooks, just my opinion but uni is quite expensive as it is and that forty pound can do something better. You could always try using Google drive if iCloud too difficult.
Original post by Chicken Fajita
No what is the point? Just right click and they let you convert it straight away, it's easier. Majority of people in the university where I live use MacBooks, just my opinion but uni is quite expensive as it is and that forty pound can do something better. You could always try using Google drive if iCloud too difficult.

how dare you chicken fajita
Original post by citydeer
i have a macbook and currently i only have the apple version of microsoft office but its such a pain always having to convert file types, im going to uni in september and it costs about £40 but i assume it will make uni a lot easier, plus microsoft is easier to use but im wondering if its worth it?

Two things:

1. I believe yes, it is worth it due to the fact that most universities run with Office software and use it throughout different aspects, they'll always want it in a format like Office - therefore it's useful.
2. Usually, universities offer you Office for free when you connect to their network and you'll be able to download it from them!
Hi there,

Can confirm that you get Office for free from most unis for up to 5 devices. :smile:

Once you've enrolled come Results Day, I'll be able to direct you to how to get it as it's uni specific.

Cheers

RF
Reply 9
At my undergrad uni you got free access to MS Office 365, which you could download via the uni network to any five compatible devices.

Don't pay money for MS Office until you find out whether your uni offers it for free. You might not be able to access it until you get your uni ID/password sorted out, but it's worth the wait. You can potentially save hundreds of pounds or downloading a heap of malware.
If your university doesn't give it to you for free, just download something like OpenOffice or LibreOffice that are free and work fine with Microsoft formats.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending