The Student Room Group

Does GCSEs/AS/A2 levels matter after you have a PHd?

When I was doing GCSEs, every teacher screamed that 'these will be the most important exams of your life. They will stay with you forever so don't **** up.' I did reasonably well in GCSEs and then as soon as we got onto A levels the teachers said 'Oh well, GCSEs were really just a stepping stone onto A levels, they're not that important in hindsight...but A levels are the most important exa-' well, you can guess what they said. So now I'm thinking...do A level's actually matter if you get onto an undergraduate degree? And then does the undergraduate degree matter if you get a masters? and does the masters matter if you get a PHd??
Also hypothetically, if you got a good BA, MA and a PHd, would you even bother putting what you got for GCSE/A level on your resume? Like, would there be any point?
I presume not - Like the teacher said; they're all bout letting you get to the next stage. If you became a Dr. In Biological Engineering nobody will give two cents that you got a C in GCSE Biology ygm? But teachers make it out to be HUGE so that you don't fail and have the choice to choose what you want to do.
They matter as far as competing with other candidates go.
Reply 3
I don't mention my secondary education now that I have a masters, so no.
Reply 4
Well I think it's important to remember that your pHd will be in just one subject area, whereas your GCSEs and A Levels show that you have also accomplished, to a certain level, a variety of other skills too within different subjects. As well as that, they are a good indicator that you have been a committed person throughout your whole academic career, which I would say is important to recognise rather than someone who didn't really give a damn about their studies until they got to university level.

I would say definitely mention your GCSEs and A levels on your CV just to show the skills and qualification you have acquired, but I wouldn't put an overwhelming focus on them :smile:
Not in the slightest for GCSEs. Employers shouldn't give 2 jots about what you did 7+ years ago, but I have noticed that a few jobs do require a certain number of ucas points in application.
Nobody looks at GCSEs. Even the heads of department in my own school have told me that they couldn't care less about GCSE, and they often don't even look at A-Levels, only your University achievements. This is to be expected, of course, because GCSEs are a memory test, not one of intelligence, and anyone who cares enough could easily get A*s in every subject. At A-Level you need to actually understand what you're being taught, which is better.
Your A2 probably is of some, minor importance, but your degree, whatever it is, will likely hold a far greater significance to most employers
Reply 8
Anyone that puts their GCSEs on a masters or a research proposal application CV is instantly an idiot and wouldn't be asking such question. Let alone on an academic CV.

Quick Reply

Latest