The Student Room Group

Should "gay" men be allowed to donate blood?

A new "freedom to donate" campaign had been established to fight for the right to give blood. Currently, a man who as had sexual contact with another man in the past year isn't allowed to give blood. This seems like a pathetic waste given that we could all need a blood transfusion at any point...

There's a petition you can sign here: https://www.change.org/p/uk-uk-government-apply-the-same-regulations-to-all-those-donating-blood-regardless-of-sexuality

There's an article on this here: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/27/gay-men-giving-blood-donation_n_7879460.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Scroll to see replies

This is a hangover from when HIV was a big unknown isn't it?

If you're a woman who has had sex with a man who has sex with men in the past year, you are also not allowed to give blood.

I feel that it's a false sense of security, and that anyone who engages in high risk activity shouldn't be allowed to donate. HIV rates have been rising in the UK, mainly in gay & bisexual men, but also amongst heterosexual people. Obviously it's not just about HIV, but other diseases like Hepatitis as well.

Just because you are a man who has sex with men, it doesn't mean you should be considered high risk automatically. Similarly just because you are a straight it doesn't mean you should be considered low risk.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

If you're a woman who has had sex with a man who has sex with men in the past year, you are also not allowed to give blood.

This could go on ad infinitum...
Surely they test the blood, right?
Reply 3
Hell no, I wouldn't want to catch gay from receiving their donated blood.

:rolleyes:
Original post by TomatoLounge

Yes, but you still want to screen people for high risk factors before they donate as it's expensive. I *think* it also gets mixed with other blood and tested in batches, so if one person is positive, that wastes other clear blood which all has to be thrown away. This isn't true. It is all screened individually.
(edited 8 years ago)

I feel that it's a false sense of security, and then anyone who engages in high risk activity shouldn't be allowed to donate. HIV rates have been rising in the UK, mainly in gay & bisexual men, but also amongst heterosexual people. Obviously it's not just about HIV, but other diseases like Hepatitis as well.

Just because you are a man who has sex with men, it doesn't mean you should be considered high risk automatically. Similarly just because you are a straight it doesn't mean you should be considered low risk.

PRSOM x1000000

Unfortunately nowadays there's a perception in the LGBT community that getting HIV isn't as bad anymore. Which, it is and it isn't. With treatments such as PrEP, PEP (think emergency contraception but for HIV, with slightly lower chances of success) and also the ability to make the virus 'undetectable' as such, you get morons thinking it's okay to have unprotected sex with many partners. :colonhash:

Also there are some who actively try to get it. :confused:

Back to the point - I would happily give blood as a person in a monogamous gay relationship, but going abstinent for a year? NOPE. #toomuchinfo
Original post by Roving Fish
PRSOM x1000000

Unfortunately nowadays there's a perception in the LGBT community that getting HIV isn't as bad anymore. Which, it is and it isn't. With treatments such as PrEP, PEP (think emergency contraception but for HIV, with slightly lower chances of success) and also the ability to make the virus 'undetectable' as such, you get morons thinking it's okay to have unprotected sex with many partners. :colonhash:

Also there are some who actively try to get it. :confused:

Back to the point - I would happily give blood as a person in a monogamous gay relationship, but going abstinent for a year? NOPE. #toomuchinfo

It think it's an unfortunate side effect of the HIV & positive campain which has been really good at reducing the stigma associated with HIV, but which has also had the effect of making some people think it's no big deal. Obviously treatments are much, much better than they used to be, but it's still not something you want to take lightly.

I studied some history of HIV in the states - some people did try to get it because they felt so helpless watching all their friends die and they wanted to remove the uncertainty and just 'get it over with' so to speak. Very, very, very sad. :frown:

Possibly a little personal, but it felt ridiculous to me that I shouldn't be allowed to donate simply because my partner was bisexual.
Not worth the risk, you may be fine and sensible but if they change the rules it would let other well meaning but ill informed / unwell people do it as well. And if, as you said, they do test in batches so much good blood would be wasted in bad tests
Reply 8
Nobody has the right to give blood.

The NHS have to screen people, it's their job to minimise risk for both donors and receivers of blood. If there is testable, scientific evidence that a certain group are at higher risk, then excluding that group is entirely justified.The rights of the person receiving the transfusion to a healthy life are far more important than the rights of donors to give their blood.

The ban on gay men did have some substance many years ago when HIV was very prevalent amongst that group. But HIV is far less of a problem now. Hence there was a campaign a few years ago and as a result we have new rules in place which Puddles has already described. Has enough changed since then to warrant yet another review?

If the NHS do review it though and find the current ban guidelines are the best balance between reducing risk and increasing supply, then that's absolutely fine by me. This is one of the very few cases where discrimination should be allowed.

They do, but the tests aren't 100% effective.
@Dez

I agree with you, but I'm just not sure if screening by sexuality is the best way?
Reply 10
@Dez

I agree with you, but I'm just not sure if screening by sexuality is the best way?

Perhaps, perhaps not. Although currently it's screened based on who you've had sex with, which isn't quite the same thing. What could they ask instead though? "Have you been to any dodgy massage parlours lately?"
Original post by Dez
Perhaps, perhaps not. Although currently it's screened based on who you've had sex with, which isn't quite the same thing. What could they ask instead though? "Have you been to any dodgy massage parlours lately?"

Do they ask you about numbers of partners or how often you engage in casual sex? I've never donated so I'm not sure what they ask. That seems more reasonable. Sure, you might have had sex with a man but if you've been in a monogomous relationship for 20 years you're not likely to be a risk.
Surely the answer here is just to test all of the blood?

It's expensive to test it all individually.

It's also not completely accurate.

So it makes sense to screen out high risk people in the first place so you're not wasting everyone's time and resources.
Reply 14
Do they ask you about numbers of partners or how often you engage in casual sex? I've never donated so I'm not sure what they ask. That seems more reasonable. Sure, you might have had sex with a man but if you've been in a monogomous relationship for 20 years you're not likely to be a risk.

Most of the questions are yes/no I think. Mainly it's about activity in the last 12 months, I don't think they ask about marital status or anything like that, but it's been ages since I last donated blood (medical condition means I'm no longer eligible).

Also may be worth considering that you're also asked about your ethnicity, although that's primarily to identify rare blood types apparently, rather than screening out donors.
It's expensive to test it all individually.

It's also not completely accurate.

So it makes sense to screen out high risk people in the first place so you're not wasting everyone's time and resources.

Apparently they do test everyone's blood: http://www.blood.co.uk/resources/leaflets/tests-on-your-blood/

Seems like they should discriminate on grounds of most risky sexual behaviour - unprotected serial monogomy...

Or just exclude high risk blood reducing the cost.

Because at the end of the how much it costs is more important than pleasing a few people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently they do test everyone's blood: http://www.blood.co.uk/resources/leaflets/tests-on-your-blood/

Seems like they should discriminate on grounds of most risky sexual behaviour - unprotected serial monogomy...

I suppose they would have to to determine blood type - I wonder where I got the idea of it being tested in batches from? :beard: It's still expensive though, so screening is important.

Yes, I think screening is correct I'm just not sure they're asking the best questions. Casual sex and unprotected sex are high risk factors, not to mention drug use.

Then again, maybe it's all fine and the system works :dontknow:

This. This annoys me.

I get myself tested every 6 months as a matter of course and have never had an STI, always use protection etc. Yet I can't give blood, even though there's nothing I'd love to do more.

Don't they test all the blood for diseases anyway???

Straight people engage in unprotected sex too... ugh.
Do they ask you about numbers of partners or how often you engage in casual sex?

They don't. They ask you if you inject drugs or have ever accepted money for sex, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending