The Student Room Group

How is Macbeth presented as a guilty character?

I am currently revising for Macbeth and am finding it difficult to find quotes and analysis that refer to Macbeth as guilty and would like some guidance. Thanks !
Reply 1
A really good quote is in Macbeth's final scene (5.8) when Macbeth sees Macduff he says "Of all men else i have avoid thee" - this could be because of the witches prophecy but his next line "My soul is to much charged with blood of thine" perhaps showing the guilt he feels for killing Macduff's family prevents him for facing him. Since this is in his most nihilistic point, it suggests that Macbeth still has a consciences and creates a small bit of sympathy for him.
Right after he murdered Duncan: 'Sleep no more', and how he's haunted by the blood and act he did: 'what hands are there? They pluck out my eyes.' Go through that murder scene for quotes if you're unsure.

And later quotes about how he's paranoid: such as Banquo's ghost making him confess and make a scene, how he wants to kill Macduff in order to remove any threats to his throne: the 'barren sceptre' and 'fruitless crown' on his head. Go look at some study guides online and I'm sure there're lots of quotes about guilt out there.

https://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/macbeth/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending