The Student Room Group

Help on PQA (Point, Quote, Analysis)

I have an English Language controlled assessment next week and am very worried about it as is the most important one (making up 30 marks of 80) and it is all about PQA which is the one thing i cannot do.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to PQA well, especially with analaysing quotes?

Scroll to see replies

Before starting the assessment, you will be given a sheet where you are allowed to briefly write down notes. Use this time to come up with at least three points you are going to use to answer the question. These points need to be backed up with a short quote.

Introduction - Clearly and briefly refer to the question being asked.

In my school, PQA is called PEC (Point, Evidence, Comment) - Use this device at least three times.

P - State your point - For example: I believe that Lady Macbeth has more control over Macbeth as she proves to be the dominant party in the relationship.

E - Evidence - Use a short quote to back up your point. For example: This is present in the quote; "Art not without ambition". After stating the quote, pick out a word that stands out from it. Such as "ambition" and analyse that word in detail. For example: The word ambition emphasises Lady Macbeth need for power. It shows she is determined and gives evidence upon how she intimidates Macbeth in order to get what she wants, etc.......... (Keep analysing the word). After analysing the word, give an ALTERNATIVE INTERPRETATION!!:eek:. This is extremely important as you can pick up the most mark for using this device. (e.g; Alternatively, this could suggest that......). When using alternative interpretation just simply give a different point to the same word discussed previously (you are still analysing the word "ambition" for example).

C - Comment - Explain the effect the quote has upon the audience (e.g. This makes the reader think....) and describe the writer's intentions for this quote (e.g. Obviously the wirter's intentions is to...)

ONCE AGAIN, YOU have to use PEC (OR PQA) AT LEAST THREE TIMES FOR EACH POINT YOU MAKE!!

Good luck!!! :biggrin: Below is a link that you might find helpful. (Sorry if there are any spelling mistakes, I didn't have time to check over my work).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB40-KM14RA
(edited 9 years ago)
Out of interest, what board is this?
I love the variations of PQA, we have PQC, PEE, and sometimes PEC!

The advice I'd give would be to use phrases such as 'this suggests that' or 'this infers that' to show to the examiner you are making your own interpretation of the evidence you choose (which, as said above, should be a short quote). Fit in as much contextual and structure points as you can, as these are the hardest in my opinion.

I'd also say to avoid vague phrases like 'this creates an image in the reader's mind', which doesn't actually tell you much. Instead it might be a good idea to refer to the writer's purpose i.e. why he/she chose to use this technique. Our teacher is also always telling us that it is better to analyse only a few quotes in great detail rather than many in no detail at all.

For my 30 mark language assesment I spent a little time doing extra research to deepen my analysis, and I think this is what helped me the most, it will make your work unique to other people's and help it stand out. :smile:

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pursuedbyabear
Out of interest, what board is this?
I love the variations of PQA, we have PQC, PEE, and sometimes PEC!

The advice I'd give would be to use phrases such as 'this suggests that' or 'this infers that' to show to the examiner you are making your own interpretation of the evidence you choose (which, as said above, should be a short quote). Fit in as much contextual and structure points as you can.

I'd also say to avoid vague phrases like 'this creates an image in the reader's mind', which doesn't actually tell you much. Instead it might be a good idea to refer to the writer's purpose i.e. why he/she chose to use this technique. Our teacher is also always telling us that it is better to analyse only a few quotes in great detail rather than many in no detail at all.

For my 30 mark language assesment I spent a little time doing extra research to deepen my analysis, and I think this is what helped me the most.

Good luck!

LOL, I know right!! My exam board is AQA, what yours?
Original post by taylortron99
LOL, I know right!! My exam board is AQA, what yours?

AQA! We did our 30 mark one on Of Mice and Men - which I have to say has probably been my most enjoyed topic in English. It must show because it was my highest mark so far :biggrin: What's your topic?
AQA! We did our 30 mark one on Of Mice and Men - which I have to say has probably been my most enjoyed topic in English. It must show because it was my highest mark so far :biggrin: What's your topic?

I've finshed all my English Literature coursework. This is because I am in Year 11 and there ARE only 5 months left until my GCSE's. My coursework consisted of two pieces. The first was 'Of Mice and Men' and we had to explain how Curley's wife was portrayed and how this was different to today's society. The second piece was Macbeth which we had to compare to three other poems, Lady Lazarus, by Sylvia Plath, Daddy by Sylvia Plath and another poem by Ted Hughes (I forgot the name).

After I come back from the Christmas Holidays, we will be learn how to tackle the English Lit. paper.

Aren't you in Year 11?
I've finshed all my English Literature coursework. This is because I am in Year 11 and there ARE only 5 months left until my GCSE's. My coursework consisted of two pieces. The first was 'Of Mice and Men' and we had to explain how Curley's wife was portrayed and how this was different to today's society. The second piece was Macbeth which we had to compare to three other poems, Lady Lazarus, by Sylvia Plath, Daddy by Sylvia Plath and another poem by Ted Hughes (I forgot the name).

After I come back from the Christmas Holidays, we will be learn how to tackle the English Lit. paper.

Aren't you in Year 11?

Yes, I'm in year 11 and we've finished lit coursework (on Macbeth in comparison to a short novel), the Of Mice and Men was language (it confused me as well). We just have a creative writing piece to do now for language, and then we're done. :smile:

We haven't started working on the lit paper either, yet! I'm kind of worrying about it, although we have done lots and lots of English language mocks.
Yes, I'm in year 11 and we've finished lit coursework (on Macbeth in comparison to a short novel), the Of Mice and Men was language (it confused me as well). We just have a creative writing piece to do now for language, and then we're done. :smile:

We haven't started working on the lit paper either, yet! I'm kind of worrying about it, although we have done lots and lots of English language mocks.

We had a similar Language coursework where you had to write a creative piece based on Of Mice and Men. To be honest, I prefer Language over Literature.:cool:
We had a similar Language coursework where you had to write a creative piece based on Of Mice and Men. To be honest, I prefer Language over Literature.:cool:

I definitely prefer the topics in language, the literature coursework is always so long and drawn out in my opinion. I find literature a little deeper though? I don't know, and I like the poetry. It's what I want to do at uni so I would say that! :^_^: Right now I would say I prefer language, just because of the topics, coursework etc.
I definitely prefer the topics in language, the literature coursework is always so long and drawn out in my opinion. I find literature a little deeper though? I don't know, and I like the poetry. It's what I want to do at uni so I would say that! :^_^: Right now I would say I prefer language, just because of the topics, coursework etc.

LOL!:borat:. Good luck. When I receive my English results at GCSE, I'm done with English!! I don't know if it's because of my teacher but I find English very boring. Which subjects would you like to do at A-level?:confused:
LOL!:borat:. Good luck. When I receive my English results at GCSE, I'm done with English!! I don't know if it's because of my teacher but I find English very boring. Which subjects would you like to do at A-level?:confused:

English lit, History, Theatre Studies, German - probably dropping the latter. Most people would advise to drop theatre studies on here though! What about you?

Sort of taking over this thread lol :tongue:

EDIT: My school is letting all of us take AS exams in year 12, then retaking in year 13, or at least I think that's how it will work in this new system.
(edited 9 years ago)
English lit, History, Theatre Studies, German - probably dropping the latter. Most people would advise to drop theatre studies on here though! What about you?

Sort of taking over this thread lol :tongue:

EDIT: My school is letting all of us take AS exams in year 12, then retaking in year 13, or at least I think that's how it will work in this new system.

LOL!:colone:

I want to take Economics and Mathematics, but I don't know what else I should take. I was considering Biology and Psychology, maybe??

I definitely dropping History, English and German at A-Level.
LOL!:colone:

I want to take Economics and Mathematics, but I don't know what else I should take. I was considering Biology and Psychology, maybe??

I definitely dropping History, English and German at A-Level.

Sounds like a good combination to me :yep:
A lot of my friends have picked psychology, it looks like a really interesting subject. What kind of courses are you looking at for uni??
Sounds like a good combination to me :yep:
A lot of my friends have picked psychology, it looks like a really interesting subject. What kind of courses are you looking at for uni??

I really do not know. Lol!:biggrin:. Maybe a Economics degree?

Mine is AQA and of mice and men too! We have to 'explore some of the ways Steinbeck presents problems in American society'

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pink.lemonade
Mine is AQA and of mice and men too! We have to 'explore some of the ways Steinbeck presents problems in American society'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same lol exact same question nearly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Before starting the assessment, you will be given a sheet where you are allowed to briefly write down notes. Use this time to come up with at least three points you are going to use to answer the question. These points need to be backed up with a short quote.

Introduction - Clearly and briefly refer to the question being asked.

In my school, PQA is called PEC (Point, Evidence, Comment) - Use this device at least three times.

P - State your point - For example: I believe that Lady Macbeth has more control over Macbeth as she proves to be the dominant party in the relationship.

E - Evidence - Use a short quote to back up your point. For example: This is present in the quote; "Art not without ambition". After stating the quote, pick out a word that stands out from it. Such as "ambition" and analyse that word in detail. For example: The word ambition emphasises Lady Macbeth need for power. It shows she is determined and gives evidence upon how she intimidates Macbeth in order to get what she wants, etc.......... (Keep analysing the word). After analysing the word, give an ALTERNATIVE INTERPRETATION!!:eek:. This is extremely important as you can pick up the most mark for using this device. (e.g; Alternatively, this could suggest that......). When using alternative interpretation just simply give a different point to the same word discussed previously (you are still analysing the word "ambition" for example).

C - Comment - Explain the effect the quote has upon the audience (e.g. This makes the reader think....) and describe the writer's intentions for this quote (e.g. Obviously the wirter's intentions is to...)

ONCE AGAIN, YOU have to use PEC (OR PQA) AT LEAST THREE TIMES FOR EACH POINT YOU MAKE!!

Good luck!!! :biggrin: Below is a link that you might find helpful. (Sorry if there are any spelling mistakes, I didn't have time to check over my work).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB40-KM14RA

Thank you! This has really helped!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chittesh14
Same lol exact same question nearly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! Are you in year 10 or 11??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck! Are you in year 10 or 11??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our question was based around sympathy and dislike, and I mainly focused mine on George and Lennie. I did try to cover some contextual points too - American society etc. It was interesting to research!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending