The Student Room Group

Durham University A100 (2016 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
First thing, you need to stop thinking of yourself as someone who just blends in. If you think that way, you will just blend in.

Spend some time thinking what makes you different. Not from every candidate as you're not gonna beat them all, just different enough from your peers.

Not necessarily unique. Even quirky or odd would do.

Then just spend time thinking of how that might make you different.

Honestly I've never met anyone without something interesting about them.
Original post by Torel
First thing, you need to stop thinking of yourself as someone who just blends in. If you think that way, you will just blend in.

Spend some time thinking what makes you different. Not from every candidate as you're not gonna beat them all, just different enough from your peers.

Not necessarily unique. Even quirky or odd would do.

Then just spend time thinking of how that might make you different.

Honestly I've never met anyone without something interesting about them.

I've been told by a doctor who I did a mock interview with that I blend in too much. :/ My first solution has been that I now have a bright blue blouse so I physically stand out. I think I'm going to angle it at the fact that what makes me stand out is that I don't have one particular thing I'm excellent at, but that's not what you need for medicine. You need someone who is pretty good at everything and has a really wide range of skills and assets. So hopefully that'll cover it. The problem is that medical applicants are all so damn good so it's hard to get ahead :wink: It's hard not to massively doubt yourself after rejection!
I'm not sure what to practice for the interview at all. Does anyone know what to expect? Or anyone who did theirs on 2nd?
hey guys my email says interview at 10 am but the ticket says 3;30 - should i call up or is this quite common? thanks - just a bit weird
People who have interviews what are your ur UKCATs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GCSEHELPPLS
hey guys my email says interview at 10 am but the ticket says 3;30 - should i call up or is this quite common? thanks - just a bit weird

Are you interviewing tomorrow at 3.30, that's when mine is! I got thrown by the ticket too, but on the original email with the invite to book an interview slot it says turn up 40 mins before your time. So I am planning on turning up at 2.50. I think the early time is just when people are interviewing from.
Original post by mdeal132

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 187

Posted from TSR Mobile

So are invitations random?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So are invitations random?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I spoke to the lady from admissions and she told me they one out at random over the cut off, not in order of score.
Original post by treenyc
Are you interviewing tomorrow at 3.30, that's when mine is! I got thrown by the ticket too, but on the original email with the invite to book an interview slot it says turn up 40 mins before your time. So I am planning on turning up at 2.50. I think the early time is just when people are interviewing from.

yep exactly , ah that makes sense, thanks, does anyone know pros of durham for medicine,
also is the accommodation on site ?
Hey, how did you get the experience at St Johns, ive looked at the website but not sure which role to go for ?
As a Durham Medical student at QC I can say that the accommodation is on site at both John Snow and Stephenson College. It has early clinical exposure with dissection rooms (you don't dissect the cadaver yourself) and lecture based. They are trialing TBL (team based learning) which is very similar to PBL. The collegiate system is amazing, you really feel like a part of your own college within the community of students. Lots of help and stuff with any issues. We also do community placements and you get hospital visits and various other clinical events.
ask me any questions you like :biggrin:
Original post by treenyc
Interview!! 9th December!! UKCAT 692.5

How did it go?
Original post by Ben4757
How did it go?

Went quite well I thought. The interviewers and the lady taking us round we're lovely. I think the MMI style is better than panel TBH.
Reply 195
Original post by treenyc
Went quite well I thought. The interviewers and the lady taking us round we're lovely. I think the MMI style is better than panel TBH.

Was it intimidating? I feel like my nerves are shot already.
Original post by Errrrm
Was it intimidating? I feel like my nerves are shot already.

WAY less intimidating than a panel. It was really strange, with Durham being so prestigious I was expecting stuffiness and haughtiness, but they were really, really, really nice. I can't stress that enough. Seriously, it's really relaxed. DONT STRESS. I wish I had known before and then I wouldn't have lost so much sleep haha.
Original post by JSRichardson
... lecture based. They are trialing TBL (team based learning) which is very similar to PBL

Thanks for the information :smile:

How long have they been trialing TBL for? How does it differ to PBL?
How much of the course is lecture based / TBL respectively?
Has anyone got any interviews rejections and does anyone have any idea when they send interviews till based on last year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by treenyc
WAY less intimidating than a panel. It was really strange, with Durham being so prestigious I was expecting stuffiness and haughtiness, but they were really, really, really nice. I can't stress that enough. Seriously, it's really relaxed. DONT STRESS. I wish I had known before and then I wouldn't have lost so much sleep haha.

Hi
Did they give you any idea about the chance of getting offer after interview? I mean interview to offer ratio.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending