The Student Room Group

Article: Meningitis: learn to spot the signs and symptoms

Scroll to see replies

Original post by returnmigrant
Yes.
Do you really want to die in your first term at Uni?

But i dont get it... It doesnt seem like this vaccine is absolutely necessary? Surely if it was a very important vaccine then there will be a massive programme and people would be forced to get it done..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Haraam police
But i dont get it... It doesnt seem like this vaccine is absolutely necessary? Surely if it was a very important vaccine then there will be a massive programme and people would be forced to get it done..?
e

The more people who are vaccinated at any one Uni the less likely it is for an epidemic to start.

Many people carry this virus without it actually developing into meningitis, and its only when lots of close contact happens with strangers who may not have that immunity (or been vaccinated) that an epidemic gets going.
Personally, I'd rather be vaccinated than naively assume 'I won't get it'.

We don't do 'compulsory vaccination' in this country.*
We warn people of the need or risk and make the vaccine available for at-risk groups.

* We could 'ban' smoking, or make contraception compulsory for anyone without a GCSE in Maths and English. Would you really want to live in that sort of society?
Original post by returnmigrant
The more people who are vaccinated at any one Uni the less likely it is for an epidemic to start.

Many people carry this virus without it actually developing into meningitis, and its only when lots of close contact happens with strangers who may not have that immunity (or been vaccinated) that an epidemic gets going.
Personally, I'd rather be vaccinated than naively assume 'I won't get it'.

We don't do 'compulsory vaccination' in this country.*
We warn people of the need or risk and make the vaccine available for at-risk groups.

* We could 'ban' smoking, or make contraception compulsory for anyone without a GCSE in Maths and English. Would you really want to live in that sort of society?

I am really lazy, but i think will get it done anyway. It's just a bit hassle, but it is better to be safe than sorry :yes:

Are you sure. Dont all babies get vaccinated against stuff?

Yes, that is not a good society :hand:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Im on a gap year and didnt make it to uni last year

I remember getting an email about this vaccine from ucas last year, but nothing about it from my gp :hmmm:

Dem lousy GPs dont care about their patients :sigh:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Im on a gap year and didnt make it to uni last year

I remember getting an email about this vaccine from ucas last year, but nothing about it from my gp :hmmm:

Dem lousy GPs dont care about their patients :sigh:
Posted from TSR Mobile

How is your GP supposed to know about your UCAS status?
Its a new health awareness campaign this year because there is a new vaccine to cover another strain of meningitis.
All Unis make new students aware of the risk of meningitis but ultimately its up to YOU to act on it and get vaccinated.
Original post by PQ

Surely they could have seen from my details that i was 18, and then they could have just phoned me and told me that if im starting uni then i should come in and get the vaccination done

But i got nothing... This is why it just seems like it's not that important

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure. Dont all babies get vaccinated against stuff?
Posted from TSR Mobile

IIRC the first meningitis vaccine didn't become available until about 2002, so you wouldn't have got it as a baby anyway.
Original post by PQ

They wont of course - they will just send letters to all their patients in the right age bracket.

Uni students are at MORE risk because of exposure to a wider variety of bugs/viruses as students from all over the world gather together bringing their 'home' bugs with them. This is why you will probably get 'freshers flu' - a cold from a bug you haven't been exposed to before and have no immunity to.

But i got nothing...

You will.

Or you could behave like an adult and phone the surgery for advice.
(edited 8 years ago)
I started uni last year and wasn't offered the vaccine and this year it doesn't seem to apply the returning students.

If you can, have the needle - someone from my college died of meningitis last year three months after starting uni.

Don't risk it, please.
Original post by AmyPilot
I started uni last year and wasn't offered the vaccine and this year it doesn't seem to apply the returning students.

Phone your surgery on Monday and ask if you can have the vaccine.
Bear in mind that this will be available for the first time tomorrow... Allegedly GPs should be sending letters out to 17-25 year olds.

I'd happily have this, but seeing as I'm in my fourth year of uni - I'm unsure as to whether I can actually ask for this vaccine.
I'm starting final year this September, aged 21 - I'm definitely going to ask my GP. As I've been out of the UK for the past year studying in Germany I might try to argue that I should be considered the same as uni starters. Wish me luck! Anyone know how much it costs if you're not eligible for the main programme?

(I'm getting the flu jab too! That I know I have to pay for, which sucks but oh well)
I will definitely be getting vaccinated.
I had meningitis.
It was terrible.
I got cured, fortunately.
I got it last year. My mum had it mentioned to her by a nurse who said everyone going to university should have it, so she called our GP who said that I needed it. None of my friends had it because we weren't contacted by our GP, so hopefully it should happen this year.
Shall I get it if I'm not moving away?
I am supposed to have it next week but I have been having problems with a weakened immune system and I have heard that since my immune system is weak it could be dangerous for me to have the vaccine. Does anyone know what I should do about this?
Original post by mash potato
Shall I get it if I'm not moving away?

It's not going to do you any harm

Original post by jake-1996
I am supposed to have it next week but I have been having problems with a weakened immune system and I have heard that since my immune system is weak it could be dangerous for me to have the vaccine. Does anyone know what I should do about this?

Ask your GP - we aren't qualified to give you advice based on your own messiah history

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending