The Student Room Group

Article: Meningitis: learn to spot the signs and symptoms

Scroll to see replies

I haven't seen any GP letter about this yet, but I'll definitely be getting this done before I start at uni :s-smilie:
Hope everyone gets the vaccine! Have anti bacterial gel be extra clean when touching desks etc. I got bacterial meningitis at 19 was hospitalised for a year finally got back to university at 22
-__-
Reply 42
I just had the jab this morning - I booked the appointment as soon as I heard about it. I was initially quite scared of getting it done due to a fear of needles, but the reality of it was that I barely even noticed that the needle was there, and it was over in a couple of seconds.

I hope that everyone else gets this jab as well.
Reply 43
Is the vaccine available in Wales?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm under 25 and I'm just about to go into my third year of uni, are only new students eligible for this then?
It doesn't help me, am 26 going into my final year of university. Am I supposed to have this vaccination? I think they do forget that mature students are at university as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If your going to university i would definitely have the jab and get an updated MMR. That mumps, measles and rubella. Better to be safe then sorry. I nearly ended up physically disabled after having meningitis. Everyone has a bacteria inside them. When they cough or sneeze or you kiss someone. There bacteria could potentially harm you and not to others. Everyone's body works different but the jab helps you to avoid it. Plus being in public transport is the worse. Overcrowded on the train and bus bacteria love it.
But mature students should definitely be vaccinated as some have children and you don't want to pass it on to them.
Reply 48
Hopefully going to uni in October. Is there any reason not to get the vaccine? How do you feel after getting it? I've never had a vaccine before because my mother was one of those 'vaccine sceptics'. :facepalm2:
Can you get it if you're 18-25 but not going to uni yet?
I didn't know this was available until reading this thread. I'll phone my GP to get it booked, better safe than sorry!
Reply 51
do you need to get it if you are a returning student? i.e. going into your 2nd or 3rd year at uni?
Reply 52
Anyone saying do they need to get it done in there 2nd or 3rd year then the answer is yes. The boy who died from it in that article hadn't even been to University yet and died from it, sounded like he got it from a concert he went to and died the next day. I have a doctors appointment on Tuesday and being a hypochondriac I will definitely ask for this vaccine.
Yes to everyone it just helps to prevent it. I'm saying yes from personal experience. If I knew a vaccine like that existed before i catches meningitis would of taken it. I'm getting vaccined after I give birth and update on other jabs. I had whooping cough jab which made the baby immune to it and better chance of not getting it for the first months it's born till the baby gets all the jabs done. I dont want to come home and give any illness to my child. :frown:
If you don't want to get the vaccine you dont have too. It's just there to
Help prevent it and from others getting it. Really should get some other jabs as well done because its not in our systems all ours lives. When I had meningitis i was literally physically disabled for 2 years. :frown: i was lucky i survived and I am healthy. Some people aren't and have had lifetime problems. Arms amputated :/ but yea when you go university theres gonna be other students from around the world. And sorry to say some people that are not good with hygiene or cough and not put the hand or tissue. Coughs and sneezes spread diseases. Also at parties overpacked places. Transport. Meningitis can kill within 4 hours!!! Please think about it. Also even if you have a hangover go doctors! Some said about a boy dieing. I heard one story that a boy went to a party thought it was a hangover and just rested been to university for just a month and was found dead in bed. :/
Original post by SeanFM
Doesn't hurt as bad as you think :smile: the tiny pinch is worth the benefits.

I doesn't pain when you receive the injection but after 3-4 hours it's really painfull, mine shoulder swelled a little bit and it pained really bad, went for sleep in night and the next day pain was gone :u:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Elcor
Hopefully going to uni in October. Is there any reason not to get the vaccine? How do you feel after getting it? I've never had a vaccine before because my mother was one of those 'vaccine sceptics'. :facepalm2:

May as well just get them all done - all the stuff about it causing autism etc etc has been thoroughly debunked, and something like measles could leave you so ill you miss too much and have to repeat a year of uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by Origami Bullets
May as well just get them all done - all the stuff about it causing autism etc etc has been thoroughly debunked, and something like measles could leave you so ill you miss too much and have to repeat a year of uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like no vaccines in 18 years to like 5 in a month isn't a good idea. I'll get the vital ones and space it out. I should be fine from polio and tetanus for example from everyone else being vaccinated against it.
Reply 58
What can I do about my gp's knowing nothing about it? I have called and tried to book, they knew nothing and said will get someone to call back. No one has. Tried today and reception dont know and said ask the nurse i see on Monday for a ecg. But then they will do ecg's not vaccines..
I am starting uni in september but am age 19 so will not get contacted as beimg the right age just I am eligble. Is there anything I can do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
I feel like no vaccines in 18 years to like 5 in a month isn't a good idea. I'll get the vital ones and space it out. I should be fine from polio and tetanus for example from everyone else being vaccinated against it.

By all means space them out a bit if you wish, but you shouldn't rely on herd immunity - the country needs to reach certain levels of vaccination for that to work, and so all healthy people need to get the vaccine in order to offer protection to those that cannot (e.g. young babies and the immunocompromised)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending