The Student Room Group

Article: Meningitis: learn to spot the signs and symptoms

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elcor
I feel like no vaccines in 18 years to like 5 in a month isn't a good idea. I'll get the vital ones and space it out. I should be fine from polio and tetanus for example from everyone else being vaccinated against it.

Go and talk to your doctor about it! :smile: They'll know how to space stuff out properly if it's necessary. Tell them your concerns about it and I'm sure you'll be able to work something out. Also, by the way, tetanus doesn't work like that. You get it from dirty things rather than other people e.g. cutting yourself on an old rusty nail, so herd immunity won't protect you from it. It's definitely recommended if you're doing anything vaguely active outside.

Original post by dipka
What can I do about my gp's knowing nothing about it? I have called and tried to book, they knew nothing and said will get someone to call back. No one has. Tried today and reception dont know and said ask the nurse i see on Monday for a ecg. But then they will do ecg's not vaccines..
I am starting uni in september but am age 19 so will not get contacted as beimg the right age just I am eligble. Is there anything I can do?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't hurt to ask the nurse - it's a lot easier to get things sorted out face to face. Even if they don't do it directly, they'll hopefully know something about it or know someone who does. Otherwise, keep trying! I had some problems because there was a change of system around the time we had our vaccines so they weren't sure whether or not I needed the booster - eventually it turned out that I did.
Reply 61
Original post by Kathiye
Go and talk to your doctor about it! :smile: They'll know how to space stuff out properly if it's necessary. Tell them your concerns about it and I'm sure you'll be able to work something out. Also, by the way, tetanus doesn't work like that. You get it from dirty things rather than other people e.g. cutting yourself on an old rusty nail, so herd immunity won't protect you from it. It's definitely recommended if you're doing anything vaguely active outside.

Yeah true, my bad :facepalm2:
Original post by Elcor
Yeah true, my bad :facepalm2:

If it helps, I only just realised that that smiley isn't a weirdly-coloured banana.
Gonna get mine booked on Monday, I'm not too fond of needles but I'd rather that over the alternative (catching Meningitis). Luckily I'm also eligible for a free flu jab so I'll get that when I can as well!

Original post by jake-1996
I am supposed to have it next week but I have been having problems with a weakened immune system and I have heard that since my immune system is weak it could be dangerous for me to have the vaccine. Does anyone know what I should do about this?

I'm pretty sure that this vaccine contains the sugars that are on the outside of the virus, and doesn't contain any live microbes. But do check with your GP and they will help!
Original post by Kathiye

Tetanus vaccination is part of the DTP (Diphtheria, Tetanus and Polio) vaccine given to teenagers, so if you got that you should be covered for about 10 years and shouldn't need another if you don't do a lot of outdoor stuff :smile:

EDIT: Wow, according to my surgery's online booking system, the earliest doctor's appointment I can get is the 14th September??! How is that possible?! :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sarcasmrules

Tetanus vaccination is part of the DTP (Diphtheria, Tetanus and Polio) vaccine given to teenagers, so if you got that you should be covered for about 10 years and shouldn't need another if you don't do a lot of outdoor stuff :smile:

EDIT: Wow, according to my surgery's online booking system, the earliest doctor's appointment I can get is the 14th September??! How is that possible?! :s-smilie:

I've heard this before, but I'm almost certain that I didn't get it - I had to get a special Tetanus jab before I did my DofE. :confused: Perhaps some GPs are more on the ball than others. Anyway, the person I was replying to said that they hadn't had any at all, so they almost definitely need it!
Reply 65
Original post by Kathiye

Can't hurt to ask the nurse - it's a lot easier to get things sorted out face to face. Even if they don't do it directly, they'll hopefully know something about it or know someone who does. Otherwise, keep trying! I had some problems because there was a change of system around the time we had our vaccines so they weren't sure whether or not I needed the booster - eventually it turned out that I did.

I hope your right, Sounds like quite a strange situation, having a ECG and asking about a vaccine.. but then the reception on Friday said they have no idea and can't find out, ask the nurse at this appointment.
I hope it will all work itself out too, like I don't have enough to organize before uni without having to fight my dr's for this too, I am already going to doctors 4 times between now and when I start uni, tbh I wish some of those could get joined together but apparently not, like on Monday I'm going twice in the same day!
Reply 66
where do i get this injection done from?

ive recently got my hep b done and inquired about the meningitis acwy at superdrugs store and they mentioned it would cost £70, i was confused.

where can i get my flu jab from?

do i have to pay, and if so how much?

at the moment i am 19, and i will be attending university this year.
Did anyone else have a bad reaction to the vaccination? Like I had a fever and headaches, I know they say it can happen to about 1 in 100 people but anyone had something similar?
Original post by rxy

ive recently got my hep b done and inquired about the meningitis acwy at superdrugs store and they mentioned it would cost £70, i was confused.

You should be able to get it free from your GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My GP surgery still does not have much information about the vaccine yet. I have anxiety and have been really freaking out about this. I need to go to my university library soon to start working on a project and I've heard it usually takes about a month for immunity to occur so I think I'm going to have to brace it soon and hope that there are no serious germs about but I am so anxious about it! Anyone else have a similar experience? How do you deal with it?

I might not even be allowed to have the vaccine even though I am going to a different campus and using a university bus that I have not used before this year, so anxious!
(edited 8 years ago)
I got it last year. Someone at a local university died because of Meningitis last year. Very important to get it!
I just got my vaccination. Literally took under 5 minutes: 2 minutes in the waiting room, 2 minutes meeting my GP and getting it done, 1 minute exiting.

Easy peasy, and a life-saver!
Original post by rxy

The flu jab is offered free by your GP if you fall into a high risk category, otherwise you can get it from most good pharmacies for something line £6 to £12. The Men ACWY vaccine is free and you should contact your GP for this.

Original post by pinkstudent63
My GP surgery still does not have much information about the vaccine yet. I have anxiety and have been really freaking out about this. I need to go to my university library soon to start working on a project and I've heard it usually takes about a month for immunity to occur so I think I'm going to have to brace it soon and hope that there are no serious germs about but I am so anxious about it! Anyone else have a similar experience? How do you deal with it?

I might not even be allowed to have the vaccine even though I am going to a different campus and using a university bus that I have not used before this year, so anxious!

It takes two weeks to become immunised after taking the vaccine, so just contact your GP and explain your situation :smile: There isn't a lot of risk when you're going in over the holidays as there won't be a lot of people about, it's only when you have 10000+ students mingling on one campus that microbes can be spread rather easily. So, to reiterate, contact your surgery and you should be able to get the vaccine :smile:
Reply 73
Do be aware that vaccines are not 100% effective so you still need to be aware of the symptoms of meningitis and seek medical attention if you are worried about yourself or your friends/flatmates, even if you've have had the vaccine. You could be one of the people it doesn't work for, or you could have a different strain. Don't want to be a scaremonger but would hate to think someone could be too late in seeking help because they've had the vaccine and think they can't have meninigitis.
I phoned my doctors to try to get this booked. I'm 19 and starting uni this September. They asked if I'd received a text message about it, when I told them I hadn't received any message they told me I wasn't eligible to have it.

Any ideas of what I can do now to get it done? Or do I just leave it?
I'm terrified of needles and last time I had a blood test I had EMLA cream which was great, but I asked today and I was told that I can't use it with the meningitis jab, is this true??? I

f so, is there anything else similar which I could use? I felt no pain with the blood test but I still went green and was in the nurses room for an hour after so I dread to think what I'll be like without it :s-smilie:
Original post by Izzywhizz
I'm terrified of needles and last time I had a blood test I had EMLA cream which was great, but I asked today and I was told that I can't use it with the meningitis jab, is this true??? I

f so, is there anything else similar which I could use? I felt no pain with the blood test but I still went green and was in the nurses room for an hour after so I dread to think what I'll be like without it :s-smilie:

Give yourself a pinch. Yeah, it hurts a bit, but it's not too bad. By the sound of it, it's not the pain that you're scared of - it's the thought of the injection (I'm kind of the same way). So it should be pretty much the same as last time, just with a little pinch that you can deal with! Sorry, I'm trying to apply logic to a situation which isn't entirely logical and I don't think it's working. :tongue:
Original post by Izzywhizz

Is a parent able to come to the doctor's with you? If not, just let the nurse know that you're not great with needles and ask her to keep talking to you. I find looking away from the needle site also helps.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Is a parent able to come to the doctor's with you? If not, just let the nurse know that you're not great with needles and ask her to keep talking to you. I find looking away from the needle site also helps.

I'm taking my mom along with me, but I'll let the nurse know too and avoid looking at the needle, thank you for your help! :smile:
Original post by Kathiye
Give yourself a pinch. Yeah, it hurts a bit, but It's not too bad. By the sound of it, it's not the pain that you're scared of - it's the thought of the injection (I'm kind of the same way). So it should be pretty much the same as last time, just with a little pinch that you can deal with! Sorry, I'm trying to apply logic to a situation which isn't entirely logical and I don't think it's working. :tongue:

Thank you for your help :smile: I'll try pinching myself so I'll be more prepared, I'll still take some water just in case! I understand what you mean its fine! :biggrin: tjank you again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending