The Student Room Group

Blues...

Is there a list of colleges ranked by the number of Blues held by each college?

Like Tompkins, but for sports.

(Google didn't help me on this occasion.)

Edit to add: there is now! See later posts in this thread if you're interested...
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Is there a list of colleges ranked by the number of Blues held by each college?

Like Tompkins, but for sports.

(Google didn't help me on this occasion.)

For any particular sports?
Reply 2
Original post by vincrows
For any particular sports?

All sports. That's what I mean, an overall ranking of sportiness....

I'd have thought the Blues Committee websites would have it (or something similar), but perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

Combined number of Full and Half blues / total number of students. For each college.

Maybe split by Undergrad and Postgrad.

Just for fun... :wink:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
All sports. That's what I mean, an overall ranking of sportiness....

I'd have thought the Blues Committee websites would have it (or something similar), but perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't remember seeing any list of that sort. Unlike the university's Admission Office who employ full-time staff to compose and analyse all those admission data, all clubs/societies are completely run by students, so it'd be too cumbersome and time-consuming for them to make one, I guess, with so many different sports and different sorts of blues.
Also, not many people really care about how many Blues their college has in comparison to other colleges, afaik,

Yes, I was thinking of the Committee, too. If anyone has a list (or just all the records of past/present blues awarded), they'd be the one.

Maybe you can start one? :tongue: It's not technically that difficult to collect the necessary data, I think. It'll just be quite time-consuming.....
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Well I found some Women's Blues data. But the most recent is only 2008/09.

And no data for Men at all.

So here's a quick ranking (just for fun...). Not adjusted for size of college yet...

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 20.29.50.jpg

Ranking colleges by the number of Blues awarded. A Full Blue scores 1, a Half Blue = 0.5, and Team Colours = 0.25.
Blues info from http://cuwbc.soc.srcf.net/PastBlues.html

@vincrows
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Well I found some Women's Blues data. But the most recent is only 2008/09.

And no data for Men at all.

So here's a quick ranking (just for fun...). Not adjusted for size of college yet...

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 20.29.50.jpg

Ranking colleges by the number of Blues awarded. A Full Blue scores 1, a Half Blue = 0.5, and Team Colours = 0.25.
Blues info from http://cuwbc.soc.srcf.net/PastBlues.html

@vincrows

Lol hat off to your perseverance!

Interesting.... 2 separate entries for Murray Edwards and New Hall. Maybe someone got a team colour just before they changed the name??
Reply 6
Lol hat off to your perseverance!

Interesting.... 2 separate entries for Murray Edwards and New Hall. Maybe someone got a team colour just before they changed the name??

Ah well spotted. I'll amend.

I emailed the Men's Blues Committee. Got a BounceBack... I don't think sports people do the interwebs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's two John's as well, added together we'd be second, we must find out why we're not first...
Original post by jneill
Ah well spotted. I'll amend.

I emailed the Men's Blues Committee. Got a BounceBack... I don't think sports people do the interwebs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Their brain's made of muscle. The interweb is beyond them. :tongue:

Have you tried them?
http://www.bluebirdnews.co.uk/we-are-cambridge-sportsmen-and-women-and-we-support-the-cambridge-sport-review/
Reply 9
Their brain's made of muscle. The interweb is beyond them. :tongue:

Have you tried them?
http://www.bluebirdnews.co.uk/we-are-cambridge-sportsmen-and-women-and-we-support-the-cambridge-sport-review/

Yes. Also Hawks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Sparticus515
There's two John's as well, added together we'd be second, we must find out why we're not first...

Who says Johnians aren't competitive.

I have a feeling Trinity goes top for 2010 onwards...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do you give a ****.

BTW the men's blues committee consists of the sports captains of the full blue sports and few others. They barely even care enough to do their official job let alone answer random emails.

I can guarantee you that John's has the most Hawks club members in any given year from 2013 to the late 1990s. Don't know since I left. Could look on the website if you have some legitimate reason to want to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Ib7637ib
Why do you give a ****.

Thanks

Hawks already answered. Seems they do give a ****.
Original post by jneill
Thanks

Hawks already answered. Seems they do give a ****.

But why do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
But why do you give a ****?

Why do you care?
Original post by jneill
Why do you care?

I was offering my help if you had a good reason...it's a pretty strange thing to want to know just out of personal interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I was offering my help if you had a good reason...it's a pretty strange thing to want to know just out of personal interest.

Ok. I'm thinking of adding an article to the How to Choose a Cambridge College wiki and thought a "How Blue is your College" table might be a) fun and b) slightly useful and c) worth the banter.
Original post by jneill
Ok. I'm thinking of adding an article to the How to Choose a Cambridge College wiki and thought a "How Blue is your College" table might be a) fun and b) slightly useful and c) worth the banter.

Ok. Worth remembering that college sporting strength is not that affected by blues numbers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Ok. Worth remembering that college sporting strength is not that affected by blues numbers.

Understood. But is there a better multi-sport proxy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Understood. But is there a better multi-sport proxy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No there isn't. And number of blues isn't that either. Nobody really cares how many their college or other colleges have blues in total.
If you want to do it just for your fun that's fine. But adding it as a factor for how to choose a college bard on that is not alright. It'll just create another of those meaningless myth, and I don't want you to be a part of it, after all those time and effort you've spend in this forum to bust those myths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending