The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Chat Thread Mark I 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elhamm
Ugh, I understand your pain buddy :argh: I hate it when you don't have good teachers for the subjects that you struggle the most with so you have to consider taking tuition. Then, there is pretty much no point of coming to school if your basically getting home-school.
How's year 13 going so far? :tongue:

Bad teachers are annoying but I'd never get private tuition :tongue: I just ask my other maths teacher who actually knows what to do.

Quite good actually, as long as my teacher moves my C predicted grade to a B I can apply where I want and I'm on top of all my subjects at the minute.

What about you, other than the slightly stressful pace?
Original post by United1892
Bad teachers are annoying but I'd never get private tuition :tongue: I just ask my other maths teacher who actually knows what to do.

Quite good actually, as long as my teacher moves my C predicted grade to a B I can apply where I want and I'm on top of all my subjects at the minute.

What about you, other than the slightly stressful pace?

Haha smart move! :tongue:
Yeah me too, I just need my chemistry teachers to move my C to a B
Content wise it is pretty straight forward but the amount of content that I have to learn is quite a lot. It's not that the content is hard it just that I can't seem to keep on track with my revision notes -.- Well tbh I improved in comparison to last year because this time last year I didn't even bother making notes :s-smilie:
Original post by Elhamm
Haha smart move! :tongue:
Yeah me too, I just need my chemistry teachers to move my C to a B
Content wise it is pretty straight forward but the amount of content that I have to learn is quite a lot. It's not that the content is hard it just that I can't seem to keep on track with my revision notes -.- Well tbh I improved in comparison to last year because this time last year I didn't even bother making notes :s-smilie:

For me its further maths which I'll understand if they don't move up.

I've always made notes but my lack of organisational skills often mean they get lost. :frown:

Where you applying for?
For me its further maths which I'll understand if they don't move up.

I've always made notes but my lack of organisational skills often mean they get lost. :frown:

Where you applying for?

Yeah, that's me for chemistry but still lol I just need that B and I'm all good :smile:
I'm applying for Biomedical Science at Kings, Queen Mary's, and St George but I'm still looking for the rest of my choices, how about you?? I'm guessing you're applying to a course that contains maths :tongue:
Original post by Elhamm
Yeah, that's me for chemistry but still lol I just need that B and I'm all good :smile:
I'm applying for Biomedical Science at Kings, Queen Mary's, and St George but I'm still looking for the rest of my choices, how about you?? I'm guessing you're applying to a course that contains maths :tongue:

Nottingham, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Liverpool and Im not sure what else if i get higher.

No, I'm going for economics and politics. :smile:
Reply 785
That's pretty late. I got mine yesterday and my friends got theres last week.
yeah, I've noticed how late that is based on what everyone else has been saying.

Original post by Elhamm
Wow that is really late :eek:I got mine on the 1st week back of school as they arranged a parent's evening specially for our predicted grades. We have our mocks in November our teachers said if they see improvements then they will change our predictions by calling up UCAS (I think :argh:)

We have mocks first week back after Christmas.
stuck between loughborough//manchester for my last choice....so far ive got

reading - AAA-AAB(going there next week if it goes bad i wont go their)
loughborough - AAB /manchester - AAB
UEA - ABB
Liverpool - ABB
Brunel - BBB

Probably going to get ABB predicted grades

@Aph @Minerva @returnmigrant
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 787
Original post by scrawlx101

UEA - ABB
Liverpool - ABB
Brunel - BBB

Psychology right? The thing that jumps out at me is that other then maybe reading everywhere else is a smaller town so maybe Loughborough would be better? Manchester being RG might open more doors however. Have you looked into BPS accreditation? If a course in psychology isn't accredited then generally it's worthless.

The modules will be similar but the way they examine you u might now be.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aph
Psychology right? The thing that jumps out at me is that other then maybe reading everywhere else is a smaller town so maybe Loughborough would be better? Manchester being RG might open more doors however. Have you looked into BPS accreditation? If a course in psychology isn't accredited then generally it's worthless.

The modules will be similar but the way they examine you u might now be.

idm whether its a small or large town tbh. But isnt manchester a city?

I heard Loughborugh as a a town is dead and it mainly relies on SU?

Dont think i'll apply for birmingham since i dont really feel that excited by their course...
Reply 789
idm whether its a small or large town tbh. But isnt manchester a city?

I heard Loughborugh as a a town is dead and it mainly relies on SU?

Dont think i'll apply for birmingham since i dont really feel that excited by their course...

That's what I ment, although Brunel is London right?
I honestly don't know about Loughborough.

UEA - ABB
Liverpool - ABB
Brunel - BBB

I can confirm that UEA is AWESOME!!!
Original post by Aph
yeah, I've noticed how late that is based on what everyone else has been saying.

We have mocks first week back after Christmas.

That's still good, because you have the whole of xmas to revise -.- my school will change their routine every year :colonhash: Last year we had mocks after xmas too
Lol my school is unpredictable :tongue:
Reply 792
Original post by Elhamm
That's still good, because you have the whole of xmas to revise -.- my school will change their routine every year :colonhash: Last year we had mocks after xmas too
Lol my school is unpredictable :tongue:

Yeahhhh... I will totally revise over Christmas:innocent:
Original post by Aph
Yeahhhh... I will totally revise over Christmas:innocent:

LOL, well..... I'm sure you will :giggle:
How's year 13 so far?
Reply 794
Original post by Elhamm
LOL, well..... I'm sure you will :giggle:
How's year 13 so far?

It's been long. But I like it. There hasn't been anything too challenging yet.
Original post by mobbsy91
I can confirm that UEA is AWESOME!!!

went there and generally liked it enough...interested in the writers service thing tho.
went there and generally liked it enough...interested in the writers service thing tho.

The atmosphere and stuff is really great and everything, and although I don't do that kinda thing, I know some people who do creative writing and english and stuff, and they say it's really really good!
Original post by mobbsy91
The atmosphere and stuff is really great and everything, and although I don't do that kinda thing, I know some people who do creative writing and english and stuff, and they say it's really really good!

definetley applying.What subject do you do?

How did do a balanced UCAS application for your choices.

My predicted grades are ABB

Hoping to apply to:

Reading - AAA-AAB
Manchester/Loughborough - AAB
UEA - ABB
Liverpool - ABB
Brunel - BBB
definetley applying.What subject do you do?

How did do a balanced UCAS application for your choices.

My predicted grades are ABB

Hoping to apply to:

Reading - AAA-AAB
Manchester/Loughborough - AAB
UEA - ABB
Liverpool - ABB
Brunel - BBB

Sweet!! I do Business Finance and Economics!

I went for one unrealistic (and was rejected), two good ones, and then two fallbacks. Coincidentally, thank god UEA offered me unconditional, because, as it was, I screwed up my exams and didn't get anywhere near what I wanted. Having said that, UEA seem to have been fairly relaxed in terms of missing grades - a few of my flatmates missed by 2 grades, and one needed A in maths specifically, didn't get it, and was still accepted...

That's definitely a great range of choices though, and hopefully you'll get lots of offers!! :biggrin:
@scrawlx101
You have asked me to advise on which of those two unis to choose.

Even assuming your A level predictions match your AS achievement (can't remember if this is the case) you are still applying to unis with higher standard offers than those predictions. The risk of you not getting an offer in the first place is high, and the risk of you not meeting an offer if you do get one is also high. I'd be particularly surprised if you got an offer from Readiing - even if you qualify for a 'contextual offer' you are offering ABB against AAB. If you don't qualify for a contextual offer, the chances are they'll be looking for AAA predictions. If you don't know what I mean by 'contextual offer', check out the stickied FAQ thread in the UCAS forum. Likewise, if Manchester and Loughborough ask for AAB, your case for an offer from either will not be strong.

It's up to you, but in your shoes I'd be looking to take Reading out of the equation altogether, and have Manchester or Loughborough as your 'high risk' choice. After all, as it's not just about grades, even those unis whose requirements your prediction meets or exceed might not make you an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest