The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Nans
Has any international student heard from the Cambridge Commonwealth/Overseas Trust regarding their schols/bursaries

thanks
if u have, mention when u heard abt it and how much u got

This isnt really relevant to your question but I just wanted to point out that Cambridge is rather stingy when it comes to giving scholarships to international students. Oxford on the other hand has a greater number of scholarship opportunites for intl students at the undergraduate level.

Furthermore, Cambridge insists that all international students come to Cambridge for an interview without realising the amount financial pressure it puts on some students. If you dont go, its almost certain you'll get rejected.
Nans
Has any international student heard from the Cambridge Commonwealth/Overseas Trust regarding their schols/bursaries

thanks
if u have, mention when u heard abt it and how much u got

I am an EU student, but I have heard from them. Got a letter a couple of weeks ago. I am not going to say how much I was offered, but I thought it was fairly generous.
CHilL

Furthermore, Cambridge insists that all international students come to Cambridge for an interview without realising the amount financial pressure it puts on some students. If you dont go, its almost certain you'll get rejected.

Well yes, but that can't really be helped if you want to maintain the interview-system. It's a bit like saying that Cambridge discriminates against international students by being located in England.
They fly out interviewers to countries outside Europe with high application numbers. Hong Kong, Singapore and the US.
Reply 5
oldthrashbarg
Well yes, but that can't really be helped if you want to maintain the interview-system. It's a bit like saying that Cambridge discriminates against international students by being located in England.

Oxford manages to discriminate really well just with telephone interviews. I go to a school which sends around 7-8 people to Oxbridge every year and history shows that if you cant go to the UK for an interview, you have no choice but to apply to Oxford.
Reply 6
I received £2500. That's how much I applied for. Hmm.... should have applied for more! :rolleyes:
Others in my class got between £3000-£4000.
SHH
I received £2500. That's how much I applied for. Hmm.... should have applied for more! :rolleyes:
Others in my class got between £3000-£4000.

Do you get all the money at once, or is it divided into yearly payments?
Reply 8
I believe the amount awarded is deducted from your payable fees. But I don't know yet.
Reply 9
Hmm... how do you apply for the scholarship from Malaysia? I'm doing A'Levels at the moment.
Reply 10
The Cambridge Trust will send you the application form if you get an offer. Other scholarships such as the Public Services Department scholarship and private companies, you'll have to apply via their respective procedures. Check out their websites. But they're very hard to get, and depend considerably on your luck and in some cases, "connections", rather than eligibility and merit. That's how things are here. I, unfortunately, still haven't secured any funding yet, besides the Trust and private finance.
Reply 11
meera
Hmm... how do you apply for the scholarship from Malaysia? I'm doing A'Levels at the moment.

I got my form because I said I need financial support in the interview. I think, you can send a e-mail to your college asking questions about financial support and other related issues.

I got 4500 from the trust and college has decided to give me another 1500. Needless to say, I'll never see the money. It'll only show up when I pay my tuition fees. Then again, 6 grand is quite generous.

Latest

Trending

Trending