The Student Room Group

Cambridge Trust Financial Guarantee: I don’t have enough money

I am an international student who recently received an offer from Cambridge. I do not have money to meet tuition fees since my dad has recently lost his job after being in employment shortly. I can barely manage first year’s tuition, and definitely not the second and third year. I have applied to other scholarships, but they are quite competitive. Am I eligible for the Cambridge Trust, and what can I do with the Financial Guarantee Form? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by Gayauwecandothis
I am an international student who recently received an offer from Cambridge. I do not have money to meet tuition fees since my dad has recently lost his job after being in employment shortly. I can barely manage first year’s tuition, and definitely not the second and third year. I have applied to other scholarships, but they are quite competitive. Am I eligible for the Cambridge Trust, and what can I do with the Financial Guarantee Form? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Do you hold an offer for an undergraduate course? Your college should have been in touch with information about applying to the Trusts. go back over the emails you've had from your college to check it's not been included there.
Original post by St Edmund's Admission
Do you hold an offer for an undergraduate course? Your college should have been in touch with information about applying to the Trusts. go back over the emails you've had from your college to check it's not been included there.

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I have information to the Trusts, because I am not sure if I am eligible. This is because my dad has recently lost his job (ends this month), so our family’s current bank statements do not accurately reflect our financial situation. Plus with my parents’ savings, they should be able to afford 1 year of tuition. May I know if I am eligible for the Trusts? Also, for the financial guarantee form, do I need to show one or three years of tuition fees, and does it have to be in the form of a deposit, or an evidence of a monthly income? Thanks again.
Original post by Gayauwecandothis
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I have information to the Trusts, because I am not sure if I am eligible. This is because my dad has recently lost his job (ends this month), so our family’s current bank statements do not accurately reflect our financial situation. Plus with my parents’ savings, they should be able to afford 1 year of tuition. May I know if I am eligible for the Trusts? Also, for the financial guarantee form, do I need to show one or three years of tuition fees, and does it have to be in the form of a deposit, or an evidence of a monthly income? Thanks again.

From https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholarships/key-points-for-undergraduate-applicants/:
The eligibility requirements for part-cost scholarships are:

-significant academic achievement and potential
-financial need

You are eligible to apply so apply. You're trying to second-guess your college's and the panel's decision. Do note thought the typical award is in the region of £8,000-£10,000 so even if you're successful you'll still need to secure additional funding.
From https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholarships/key-points-for-undergraduate-applicants/:

-financial need

You are eligible to apply so apply. You're trying to second-guess your college's and the panel's decision. Do note thought the typical award is in the region of £8,000-£10,000 so even if you're successful you'll still need to secure additional funding.

I just made the application to Cambridge Trust, and hopefully I manage to obtain the other scholarships I have applied to (which covers another portion of the fees). Thanks again for your helpful advice!
-financial need
Honestly I find it very unfortunate that while Cambridge colleges in all their videos, especially ones adressed to alumni asking for funding, keep claiming they welcome students from all backgrounds, and that all that matters is ones academic potential, this seems to only apply to home students, even whom if they're from the lowest quintile they have way lower acceptance rates. For international students from many countries, there aren't any possible student loans to cover tuition, and thus the illusion of Cambridge only caring about academic potential, still propagated by open days with words like "All that matters is getting an offer, there are finance opportunities" fades away, when suddenly students good enough for an offer but not in the absolute top of the offer holder cohort with insufficient finance will not be able to go, while students at the bottom of the merit list from wealthier families won't face such difficulties and will be able to attend. With the amount of money the university has and its claims about no bias, its just disappointing to see no purely need based scholarship scheme like other top universities have, instead only having this for the students at the top of the class, while the rest while in many cases having had done better in terms of their admissions rankings, may be unable to attend due to money, with richer students from the bottom of admissions rankings are able to take their spaces.
Also @Pembroke Rep as they seem quite active

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending