The Student Room Group

Would I be able to do maths?

So, I want to do Engineering at university and I've been told that Btec students aren't usually admitted. I don't know if I'd be capable of doing Maths and Physics A level. I got a B at GCSE and I've seen people say that people shouldn't bother if they didn't get at least an A
I found AS maths very difficult and I got an A at it at GCSE.

I struggled throughout the year, but put a lot of effort in and got an A overall ! :biggrin:

I think with a B, you will find it hard, however, if you are willing to put the hours in, you will have a good shot!

Most schools have a 2 week trail period anyway where you can swap out if you are struggling and usually have a test to see if you are keeping up. I would suggest taking maths and seeing if you can keep up in the first 2 weeks.

However, Engineering is a heavily maths based subject, so if you cannot do AS maths, I fail to see how you can study Engineering? I may be wrong with that though.
Original post by HornDirndlFest
So, I want to do Engineering at university and I've been told that Btec students aren't usually admitted. I don't know if I'd be capable of doing Maths and Physics A level. I got a B at GCSE and I've seen people say that people shouldn't bother if they didn't get at least an A

I got a B in GCSE and took maths at A level. To be honest I had no clue what was going on at all so swapped subjects pretty quickly. But then there were other people in my class who got B's and were able to understand everything. So I suppose it depends on the individual. But if you don't think you can do the subjects then maybe rethink what you want to do at university.
The important thing isn't what you got at GCSE, but how well you're going to improve between that and A-levels.

There's no reason for you not to do well. I would just suggest getting a head start on C1/C2 if you have time to bridge the gap, because Maths is all about practice.
If you got a B at gcse and work hard you will get a C at best.
If you get a B at gcse and work very hard you will get an A.
Original post by Yellow636
I found AS maths very difficult and I got an A at it at GCSE.

I struggled throughout the year, but put a lot of effort in and got an A overall ! :biggrin:

I think with a B, you will find it hard, however, if you are willing to put the hours in, you will have a good shot!

Most schools have a 2 week trail period anyway where you can swap out if you are struggling and usually have a test to see if you are keeping up. I would suggest taking maths and seeing if you can keep up in the first 2 weeks.

However, Engineering is a heavily maths based subject, so if you cannot do AS maths, I fail to see how you can study Engineering? I may be wrong with that though.

My family seem to doubt that I could do it (I failed this AS year), so that's the biggest problem, I have to persuade them. I think that's obvious that I'd need to be able to do maths at A level to do it at university when I do. So I should really to realise sooner rather than later whether I can't do it or A levels in general
Reply 6

See my post on your other thread

there are soo many universities that you dont need maths for, also a lot of the top ones will accept the BTEC units Maths for Engineers and Further Maths for Engineers instead (or Analytical methods) of A level Maths including UCL, Bath, York and Southampton, as i said see my other post
Reply 7
My family seem to doubt that I could do it (I failed this AS year), so that's the biggest problem, I have to persuade them. I think that's obvious that I'd need to be able to do maths at A level to do it at university when I do. So I should really to realise sooner rather than later whether I can't do it or A levels in general

You dont need Maths A level to do Engineering at a top uni (although it would help you) here is a list copied from my other post on your thread

The BTEC Maths units within the Engineering syllabus are meant to provide appropriate preparation for an Engineering degree, and universities recognize this, here is a list of the best unis that accept the BTEC without Maths A level

UCL (D*D*D* inc. Maths/FM for Engineers)
Southampton (D*DD inc. Analytical/FA Methods)
Durham (with foundation year)
York (DDM inc. Maths/FM for Engineers)
Cardiff (inc. Maths for Engineers)
Bath (Electronic Eng only. inc. Maths/FM for Engineers)
Nottingham (DDD inc. Maths/FM for Engineers)
Liverpool (D*DD inc. Maths/FM for Engineers)
Lancaster (DDM inc. Maths/FM for Engineers)
UEA (DDM fot BEng, DDD for MEng)

Quick Reply

Latest