The Student Room Group

Which a levels to pick? Any suggestions

Hi everyone, I hope you all are well can anyone please help me decide which A levels to pick as I am not sure which career I WANT TO DO IN FUTURE AND WHICH DEGREE TO TAKE IN UNI? I am very confused as I want subjects that can open may pathways like provide many degrees to choose from.I will definitely do maths but not sure for 2 other subjects.Subjects that Don't want to do are:-Biology - (quite hard for me)-chemistry - (quite hard for me)-physics - (quite hard for me)-History - (I don't like it)-geography - (I don't like it)-computer science - (hard)I may want to do but not sure :-business (btec)-health and social care( btec)-law (people say its very hard) (btec)-Further maths (I want to do but at same time I don't want to do)I don't know about other subjects. PLEASE suggest me any combinations with maths that can open many pathways in future. I am really worried about it pls help I am in year 11 and I will be going to sixth form from September, I am very worried and confused about my options.I hope someone will response me as soon as possible to help me so I will be okay and not worried.Many thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Harman Kaur
Hi everyone, I hope you all are well can anyone please help me decide which A levels to pick as I am not sure which career I WANT TO DO IN FUTURE AND WHICH DEGREE TO TAKE IN UNI? I am very confused as I want subjects that can open may pathways like provide many degrees to choose from.I will definitely do maths but not sure for 2 other subjects.Subjects that Don't want to do are:-Biology - (quite hard for me)-chemistry - (quite hard for me)-physics - (quite hard for me)-History - (I don't like it)-geography - (I don't like it)-computer science - (hard)I may want to do but not sure :-business (btec)-health and social care( btec)-law (people say its very hard) (btec)-Further maths (I want to do but at same time I don't want to do)I don't know about other subjects. PLEASE suggest me any combinations with maths that can open many pathways in future. I am really worried about it pls help I am in year 11 and I will be going to sixth form from September, I am very worried and confused about my options.I hope someone will response me as soon as possible to help me so I will be okay and not worried.Many thanks

What A-Levels are offered to where you are applying that you haven’t listed? I’d rule out sciences completely from what you’re saying, Maths is a good option, picking Further Maths is also a good choice but may only be offered dependent on your maths grade at GCSE, it could also possibly narrow your pathways in the future if you decide to do a Uni degree that isn’t at all associated with maths. Economics could be a viable choice if it is offered, or if there is somewhere else you are looking to apply that offers Business Studies as an A Level. It really depends what interests you and what you are somewhat decent at. If you want a wide range to choose from you will want to diversify your subjects slightly just so each one opens its own pathway. Dependent on how you work and your school you may also be able to take further maths as a fourth a level and have three more (including maths).
Reply 2
Original post by issypiper
What A-Levels are offered to where you are applying that you haven’t listed? I’d rule out sciences completely from what you’re saying, Maths is a good option, picking Further Maths is also a good choice but may only be offered dependent on your maths grade at GCSE, it could also possibly narrow your pathways in the future if you decide to do a Uni degree that isn’t at all associated with maths. Economics could be a viable choice if it is offered, or if there is somewhere else you are looking to apply that offers Business Studies as an A Level. It really depends what interests you and what you are somewhat decent at. If you want a wide range to choose from you will want to diversify your subjects slightly just so each one opens its own pathway. Dependent on how you work and your school you may also be able to take further maths as a fourth a level and have three more (including maths).

thanks for ur help
I was thinking to do business btec and maybe health and social care. Are these good options and which jobs can I get according to these subjects and which degrees can I do in uni with these.
Reply 3
thanks for ur help
I was thinking to do business btec and maybe health and social care. Are these good options and which jobs can I get according to these subjects and which degrees can I do in uni with these.

Business and maths would go hand in hand and allow you to venture down a business pathway whilst using maths (becoming an economist etc). Health & Social would allow you to work socially, midwifery, children etc. Depends which route you’d decide to take into Uni. Would advise looking at some unis you would like to go to and potential courses you’d be interested in to see the entry requirements and preferred subjects as this might be able to help you decide what to choose, as some are fonder of BTECs than others. A lot of schools also usually allow you to start with 4/5 and then drop 1/2 dependent on which 3 you firmly decide to stick with, so you might be able to try out a couple extras for a couple weeks if you can’t fully decide.
Reply 4
Original post by issypiper
Business and maths would go hand in hand and allow you to venture down a business pathway whilst using maths (becoming an economist etc). Health & Social would allow you to work socially, midwifery, children etc. Depends which route you’d decide to take into Uni. Would advise looking at some unis you would like to go to and potential courses you’d be interested in to see the entry requirements and preferred subjects as this might be able to help you decide what to choose, as some are fonder of BTECs than others. A lot of schools also usually allow you to start with 4/5 and then drop 1/2 dependent on which 3 you firmly decide to stick with, so you might be able to try out a couple extras for a couple weeks if you can’t fully decide.

ok thanks for ur help
will I be able to do maths degree in uni? And can I do career relating to accounting after doing maths degree in uni?
EDIT: can I do nursing degree in uni if I choose these subjects? and How much does nurses get paid per hour?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
ok thanks for ur help
will I be able to do maths degree in uni? And can I do career relating to accounting after doing maths degree in uni?
EDIT: can I do nursing degree in uni if I choose these subjects? and How much does nurses get paid per hour?

If you want to do a maths degree in uni it is strongly recommended to do further maths as well.
It's hard to say because you've ruled out a lot of the "typical" subjects that maths pair with well. For example, I study Maths FM CS and Physics. A lot of the things you learn in maths correlate to physics well. I thought physics was going to be really hard, I was really apprehensive about it, but as long as you keep up with the content you're okay.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by leno_o
If you want to do a maths degree in uni it is strongly recommended to do further maths as well.

But I don't want to do further maths
can I still do maths degree?
Reply 7
But I don't want to do further maths
can I still do maths degree?

You might be able to, just highly unlikely at a top uni (unless your school doesn't allow you to take it). Technically you don't have to, but at a lot of unis, for maths/applied maths courses (such as CS) have 99% of applicants taking further maths, unless their school didnt offer it.
Why don't you want to do further maths? You said you will definitely do maths. Are you passionate or enjoy maths in any way or just doing it for uni options?
Reply 8
Original post by leno_o
You might be able to, just highly unlikely at a top uni (unless your school doesn't allow you to take it). Technically you don't have to, but at a lot of unis, for maths/applied maths courses (such as CS) have 99% of applicants taking further maths, unless their school didnt offer it.
Why don't you want to do further maths? You said you will definitely do maths. Are you passionate or enjoy maths in any way or just doing it for uni options?

thanks for telling me
First point I don't want to do further maths instead of business, maths or health and social care
Second point I don't want to study 4 subjects in sixth form so I cannot take further maths
Third point Further maths might be too hard for me as I enjoy maths and find interesting but I struggle with GCSE maths as I got like grade 5/6 in mock exam twice then How I am going to do further maths which will be a lot more harder than A level maths
Reply 9
thanks for telling me
First point I don't want to do further maths instead of business, maths or health and social care
Second point I don't want to study 4 subjects in sixth form so I cannot take further maths
Third point Further maths might be too hard for me as I enjoy maths and find interesting but I struggle with GCSE maths as I got like grade 5/6 in mock exam twice then How I am going to do further maths which will be a lot more harder than A level maths

okay, your first two points make sense to me.
just, if you found GCSE maths hard, how do you think uni level maths will be like?
Reply 10
Original post by leno_o
okay, your first two points make sense to me.
just, if you found GCSE maths hard, how do you think uni level maths will be like?

I don't know but I may want to do it

Quick Reply

Latest