The Student Room Group

If antihistamines help, does this mean it is definately an allergy I have?

For 4 years now, started when I was 22, I've had rhinitis symptoms, feeling of blocked nose, runny nose and sneezing. I've had polyps too which I've had to use the steroid nasal spray nasonex everyday for and when they get bad the nasal drops. I've had both skin and blood tests done for allergies the common ones like dog, dust etc and all were negative for allergies so I was told to just use the nasonex spray although it hasn't helped loads it helps a little, certainly the drops do.

I've tried eliminating scents, shampoo and all sorts but cannot find the cause. It often happens in the morning sneezing and runny nose and sometimes throughout the day. It can happen in holiday, I was in the cinema once and it started basically for years I've not found what the trigger is, the is no logic to it. I've never had a history of alleles or anything before it started. I've thought it could be vast motor or non allergic rhinitis.

I tried taking antihistamines every day of the year though and they help LOADS there is a little feeling of sneezing so ermines but overall they really calm my symptoms down. So despite testing negative to the common allergies does the fact that antihistamines help mean that it's definately an allergy to something?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
For 4 years now, started when I was 22, I've had rhinitis symptoms, feeling of blocked nose, runny nose and sneezing. I've had polyps too which I've had to use the steroid nasal spray nasonex everyday for and when they get bad the nasal drops. I've had both skin and blood tests done for allergies the common ones like dog, dust etc and all were negative for allergies so I was told to just use the nasonex spray although it hasn't helped loads it helps a little, certainly the drops do.

I've tried eliminating scents, shampoo and all sorts but cannot find the cause. It often happens in the morning sneezing and runny nose and sometimes throughout the day. It can happen in holiday, I was in the cinema once and it started basically for years I've not found what the trigger is, the is no logic to it. I've never had a history of alleles or anything before it started. I've thought it could be vast motor or non allergic rhinitis.

I tried taking antihistamines every day of the year though and they help LOADS there is a little feeling of sneezing so ermines but overall they really calm my symptoms down. So despite testing negative to the common allergies does the fact that antihistamines help mean that it's definately an allergy to something?

It suggests that it could be a an allergy (they don't test for everything).

Have you been to see an ENT doctor?
Reply 2
Original post by randdom
It suggests that it could be a an allergy (they don't test for everything).

Have you been to see an ENT doctor?

Yes they just said take nasonex indefinately as I had nasal polyps due to the constant nasal inflammation.

Quick Reply

Latest