The Student Room Group

eczema school accommodations

anyone know any accommodations at school that can be made my eczema is so awfully bad? :frown:
I think that's a discussion you need to have with your doctor - what exactly do you struggle with at school because of your eczema? Is there anything you/your doctor can do about it without needing accommodations? If you need accommodations, what kind would you need? Would the accommodations be for all subjects? Would it be for exams or just regular school? Are there any potential problems with other students/staff involving the accommodations (e.g. allergies)? Those are the kind of questions I think you need to be asking, and then get a doctor's note requesting the accommodations you need.
It depends what you are struggling with at school because of your eczema. Eg, a friend was allowed to have his top shirt buttons undone so they weren't rubbing on his neck. In other cases you might be able to request that certain cleaning products are not used (it might not always be followed) or that you can have rest breaks in an exam to take/apply medication.

Those are random examples, but it really depends what you are struggling with. You need to identify what may help and talk to the school about it (or ask your parent to), and get medical evidence from your GP.
Reply 3
Original post by furryface12
It depends what you are struggling with at school because of your eczema. Eg, a friend was allowed to have his top shirt buttons undone so they weren't rubbing on his neck. In other cases you might be able to request that certain cleaning products are not used (it might not always be followed) or that you can have rest breaks in an exam to take/apply medication.

Those are random examples, but it really depends what you are struggling with. You need to identify what may help and talk to the school about it (or ask your parent to), and get medical evidence from your GP.

I was allowed rest breaks and it helped a lot - the process took a little while though
Original post by isa04
I was allowed rest breaks and it helped a lot - the process took a little while though

Yes, they'd definitely need to talk to them ASAP.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by furryface12
Yes, they'd definitely need to talk to them ASAP.

yeah it took about 5 months to be processed after I gave the doctor's letter in
Reply 6
Hi,

I have severe eczema and my school has been quite accommodating. Here are some of the accommodations they have made:

- Toilet / medical pass to just let me go to the toilet (antihistamines make me pee a lot), and medical pass to apply creams in a private room.
- Storage for my metric ton of emollients and creams
- Take 10 card. This card just lets me leave the classroom, and wonder around the school for about 10 minutes, sometimes when I'm in the middle of a flare-up my skin will jump at the chance to go outside and get some fresh air. It also kinda distracts me.
- I don't need to wear a tie or have my top-button on, my ezcema is around my neck and this makes my neck more breathable.
- I don't need to do PE if I don't feel comfortable or don't want to and when I do, I am able to stop at any time and apply creams or get changed.
- In the summer months, I have a little portable fan from John Lewis and Partners which really allows me to cool down in the summer months. This means that I'm actually able to breathe a bit.
- When I was doing phototherapy, I was allowed to leave twice a week or just skip the entire day, which was very nice.
- As I'm now on immunosuppressants, all staff are aware of my condition and are actively careful to ensure that I don't mix with students who are sick or if they are sick, they stay away from me.
- I'm able to leave school whenever I want if its getting too bad.
- Teachers are okay at catching me up, but this is something I'm looking at getting improved.
- I also have late starts when I haven't slept at all (which is most days). This means I miss form-time which isn't really that important anyway.

This isn't an exhaustive list, and it may not even be possible in your school. Feel free to shoot me a message about anything or just reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest