The Student Room Group

**Hong Kong Non-JUPAS Applicants 2016**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Toy Gun
Australia is very popular among people who cannot make the grades to get into HK's universities. A friend who couldn't get into any degree course in HK is now reading at Australian National University.

'Exchange' doesn't help that much. It's almost essential for any good internship/job but let's not kid ourselves. No-one thinks you're actually back from Cambridge after the programme. And what exchange programme goes on for two years?

If you're just going on an exchange, you have not gotten in with the normal requirement, you don't have an actual college affiliation, you don't matriculate, you're not in the alumni network, you don't hold a degree from Cambridge, the grades there don't contribute in your degree in HK, so why would anyone sees you as a Cambridge student/graduate?

This is without saying it's incredibly competitive to go to a good university for an exchange, and you're most likely only going to be going to a random university you've never heard of, in a small European country.

I have a lot of friends at Goldman but most are expats. The Hongkongers I know all studied overseas. I don't know if their HKU experience helped. Maybe? Maybe you need both? But I'm pretty sure the key is to have connections.

Are Austrailian University graduates considered inferior to local graduates ?
And do you know any chill high paying job if you really think investment banking is low paying and all that? like stressful?????
Original post by fedorahat88
And do you know any chill high paying job if you really think investment banking is low paying and all that? like stressful?????

Chill and high paying are two things that normally don't coincide.

No Australian graduates probably have an edge in Hong Kong.

I'm saying not ALL investment banking jobs pay well. Objectively speaking you can't say 8k is good pay, can you? The only guaranteed high starts are doctors, nurses, dentists, and teachers.
Original post by dnjsdnwja
guys, I want to ask something.. For hkust, I know that business people are having interview, but is there any interview for the people who chose school of engineering or science?

yes
No Australian graduates probably have an edge in Hong Kong.

I'm saying not ALL investment banking jobs pay well. Objectively speaking you can't say 8k is good pay, can you? The only guaranteed high starts are doctors, nurses, dentists, and teachers.

Here's my plan

E&F at HKU for four years

JD at University of Melbourne (top 10 in the world for law)

Become a lawyer/investment banker in Melbourne

Do you think my plan is flawed? if yes, please criticise constructively
Here's my plan

Rankings are not the best things to go by, to be honest.
Otherwise I'd say this is planning way too much ahead.
A lot can happen in 4 years, just saying.
Here's my plan

do you have an australian passport
Reply 187
hello, does anyone here have an idea about ideal IB points to get into HKU's Bachelor of Arts AND Bachelor of Engineering?
Here's my plan

The HKU degree does not help your career in Australia in this case so I don't see why you'd like to take a detour.

Whether Melbourne is Top 10 in law does not matter. In reality, no-one in the job market cares about subject league tables. Melbourne is prestigious on its own in Australia but most Australians told me university prestige does not matter in Australia. They said people don't care about which university you attended, but I had one architect telling me it would matter if it's Oxbridge, I also had university lecturer telling me a module he wrote was taken over by someone who read at a Group of Eight university (he didn't). But many people specifically said QUT against UQ does not have a disadvantage in the job market even though they are like 200 places apart.

I don't know the Australian market specifically to give good enough advice but I would think like in anywhere, connections would be the things that matter.

For what it's worth, this is an education profile I have of one of my friends at an Australian ibank:
BSc Electrical engineering - University of Zagreb
MSc Energy Technology - Nuclear Reactor Safety - same
Then I think he did a two-year thing at UNSW in business, but it's not a degree.

For what it's worth, this is an education profile I have of one of my friends at an Australian ibank:
BSc Electrical engineering - University of Zagreb
MSc Energy Technology - Nuclear Reactor Safety - same
Then I think he did a two-year thing at UNSW in business, but it's not a degree.

It's quite common nowadays for engineering grads to complete a degree in management or finance and enter the banking industry.

The HKU degree does not help your career in Australia in this case so I don't see why you'd like to take a detour.

Career wise, I'd agree, but isn't HKU way cheaper?
ANU Economics costs more than double what I'd pay for HKU E&F. And the ANU degree is shorter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Baalaje31

Career wise, I'd agree, but isn't HKU way cheaper?
ANU Economics costs more than double what I'd pay for HKU E&F. And the ANU degree is shorter.

Yes but that poster will need to know the HKU degree will not help him get into the field in Australia in any way.
Is anyone going to the london interview for hkust on 6/12? :/
got an interview for CUHK BBA on friday:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eddymok123
got an interview for CUHK BBA on friday:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there ,
Me too ! Hope to see you , what time is your interview on Friday ?
Original post by christylaw915
Is anyone going to the london interview for hkust on 6/12? :/

is it a compulsory one?
Original post by NoobandBad
Hey there ,
Me too ! Hope to see you , what time is your interview on Friday ?

10 AM. Hope you do well! Its only 8-10 minutes so its probably not going to be of great depth!
Finished my interview with CUHK IBBA today. Immediately after the questions, they said they are going to send me an offer!
Hello everyone!

I have applied to HKU and HKUST for the BBA Management course (for HKU, International management). I have received an invite for an interview (online platform, Kira talent) from HKUST. Can anyone tell me (if they are/were in the same situation) what their experience was like? Would really appreciate all the input :smile:

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Eddymok123
Finished my interview with CUHK IBBA today. Immediately after the questions, they said they are going to send me an offer!

Awesome ! They said they'll send me a firm offer . Hope to see you there next year !
Original post by sanidhyaSoni
Hello everyone!

I have applied to HKU and HKUST for the BBA Management course (for HKU, International management). I have received an invite for an interview (online platform, Kira talent) from HKUST. Can anyone tell me (if they are/were in the same situation) what their experience was like? Would really appreciate all the input :smile:

Thanks

Hey bro I'm in the same situation! The Kiratalent questions seem pretty hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending