The Student Room Group

City University of Hong Kong veterinary medicine

Hi everyone, I’m a standard year13 applicant from Hong Kong and have applied to a number of universities in the UK as well as CityU in Hong Kong for vet med. I’ve been rejected by most of my UCAS choices so there’s a high chance I might be doing my degree locally at cityu instead. However I do have some reservations for cityu as studying vet med in hk seems to offer less experiences compared to the uk (eg we don’t rly have much farms/abattoirs/kennels here locally) and I have also heard different rumours such as the lack of opportunities for students to handle live animals. Just wondering if anyone could give me further insights on this issue, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm a current year 12 HK student also aiming for vet med in HK and UK! I also have heard about this problem and a few students transferring to other universities, but I'm not exactly sure about the proper situation. However, I still believe its a good programme as it collaborates with cornell. If you have received offers from cityu vet med, may I please know their conditional offer?
Reply 2
are you applying via jupas or non-jupas? i don’t think they typically give out conditional offers for jupas applicants but the standard requirements for dse would be a total of 32 or above for best six subjects including eng maths chem bio
I'm non-jupas and doing IAL chem bio math. Also, how's the interview process?
Reply 4
oh im a jupas applicant haha they don’t typically interview us until aug (after release of dse results) but i think they might do it earlier for non-jupas
I see, then wish you the best luck with DSE!!! Do you mind sharing ideas about this programme later, once u become yr 1 at cityu vet? I would love to know more!
Reply 6
np haha i hope i get in!! thank you and good luck to u next year as well<33
Original post by meowzzi
Hi everyone, I’m a standard year13 applicant from Hong Kong and have applied to a number of universities in the UK as well as CityU in Hong Kong for vet med. I’ve been rejected by most of my UCAS choices so there’s a high chance I might be doing my degree locally at cityu instead. However I do have some reservations for cityu as studying vet med in hk seems to offer less experiences compared to the uk (eg we don’t rly have much farms/abattoirs/kennels here locally) and I have also heard different rumours such as the lack of opportunities for students to handle live animals. Just wondering if anyone could give me further insights on this issue, thanks!

May I know your yr13 results? How long is your work experience at a local vet clinic? It seems like the vet degree in UK is very competitive.
Reply 8
Original post by blade000
May I know your yr13 results? How long is your work experience at a local vet clinic? It seems like the vet degree in UK is very competitive.

I’m taking the exams in a month so I don’t have my grades yet, but predicted A*AA. I have more than 70 hours of work experience at various local vet clinics.
Original post by meowzzi
I’m taking the exams in a month so I don’t have my grades yet, but predicted A*AA. I have more than 70 hours of work experience at various local vet clinics.

Your predicted grades are very good. Which universities did you apply?
Reply 10
Your predicted grades are very good. Which universities did you apply?

doesn’t rly matter now that most of them have rejected me haha but I’m still hoping for bristol :smile:
Original post by meowzzi
doesn’t rly matter now that most of them have rejected me haha but I’m still hoping for bristol :smile:

someone said online that bristol is among the easiest to get acceptance. i wish you all the best.
Reply 12
someone said online that bristol is among the easiest to get acceptance. i wish you all the best.

https://www.vetschoolscouncil.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Admissions-processes-and-entry-requirements-for-UK-veterinary-schools-2022-applications.pdf
The stats here say otherwise, but whatever the school none of them are easy to get into.
Hi
Good luck to your exam! I’m aiming for vet medicine, but I’m struggling to get work experience at the moment.
May I know which local clinic you went to? It seems that not many clinic in Hk allow students to have work experience. Many thanks.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 14
Original post by _littlething
Hi
Good luck to your exam! I’m aiming for vet medicine, but I’m struggling to get work experience at the moment.
May I know which local clinic you went to? It seems that not many clinic in Hk allow students to have work experience. Many thanks.

I went to two local clinics but both only allowed me in because I had connections (one vet was my mentor’s friend and the other was an old student of a teacher of mine), so I guess I just got lucky aha. I do understand that most clinics don’t want students getting work experience at their places due to the covid situation (even though it got much better now) and because non-vet students can’t really help much to be honest, and the clinics in HK are already small enough without an extra pair of hands. You can try going to the local vet clinics in the district where you live (like, literally go up to their doorstep) and ask them if they’d be willing to take you in. Be really persistent and it might take some time before you actually find one that doesn’t mind having you for a couple of weeks, but that’s what my friend did without any connections and she succeeded in securing a few weeks of wex in the end.

have you tried volunteering for local animal shelters as well? Those would be easier to find as they’re always short of volunteers. If u have any more questions feel free to ask me x :smile:
Thank you for your detailed reply! I have applied to farms and shelter for non-clinical experience. So right now I only need to finish the clinical one. I’ll try to contact more clinic in the coming weeks! Xx
Reply 16
Original post by _littlething
Thank you for your detailed reply! I have applied to farms and shelter for non-clinical experience. So right now I only need to finish the clinical one. I’ll try to contact more clinic in the coming weeks! Xx

no problem! :smile: lol surprisingly, i had quite some difficulty finding non-clinical wex at local farms, so i only got some done at shelters and parks etc. did you go to kadoorie farm, or something else?
Reply 17
Original post by meowzzi
np haha i hope i get in!! thank you and good luck to u next year as well<33

Hi I'm currently preparing my personal statements and application. May I please know which vet school you choose and your thoughts on that vet school? My first choice is RVC or Cityu Vet but I can not decide between those two because RVC is obviously the best vet school, however, the tuition fee is too high. It would be so helpful if you could tell me your experience. Thanks lots!!
Reply 18
Original post by cocoatank
I see, then wish you the best luck with DSE!!! Do you mind sharing ideas about this programme later, once u become yr 1 at cityu vet? I would love to know more!

Hi may I know whether you have applied to city u vet med this year. I am also non-jupas if so how was the interview processss and may I asks your academic score
Reply 19
Original post by meowzzi

Hi may I ask whether you have got offers from city u vet med course. I am also applying their son this year. May I know further details?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending