The Student Room Group

Cost of living

I have calculated roughly after cost of student accommodation I will have £50- £65 a week to live off at university. Is this a good amount to survive off? im awful at budgeting and don't really know what im doing :frown: Could some you compare to what you will be getting?
+ Any tips or advice would be great
Reply 1
It is possible, but also depends on where you're living (if its London that would be almost impossible) up North you could definitely do it. Last year I probably lived off around £80-£90. In terms of budgeting some tips I have, when I knew I was going to be really tight for money one week I would take my weekly budget money out of my bank and not take my cards out with me, when you have you're bank card its very easy to spend money as it doesn't feel like real money if you get what I mean. Also if you're self catered I used to make weekly meal plans that way you don't overbuy food and its less waste
Reply 2
Hey, It will be the south east of England just not London Thanks! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by luk3mall3tt
I have calculated roughly after cost of student accommodation I will have £50- £65 a week to live off at university. Is this a good amount to survive off? im awful at budgeting and don't really know what im doing :frown: Could some you compare to what you will be getting?

£50-£65 is plenty enough to live on whilst at university. During my first year I was on around £70 a week and this was more than enough to live on! So what you've got should be plenty enough, shop cheap, don't go out loads, don't buy pointless things. You'll do fine, trust me!

Yes, that's perfectly fine, provided you don't have transport costs (if in London). You should try to monitor your grocery bill, plan your weekly meals in advance, etc. This will leave you with a bit of money for social stuff, too.
(edited 8 years ago)

I lived off £35/40 a week in Glasgow for my first two years relatively comfortably. Emphasis on relatively :P
will be piss easy on that money, only costs me like £35 a week on food and i eat quite well
Possibly yes if you're good at spending wisely.
That's easy af. You can splurge and you'll still have money left over. Just don't be stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending