The Student Room Group

Worrying about student life and affording university

Hi everyone!

At the moment the cost of living crisis is something that is at the front of everyone's minds especially if you are considering to study a university course in September.

You’ll need to cover the cost of living - whether that’s through maintenance loans, savings, part-time work or financial contributions from your family. Your costs will be much lower if you are commuting to campus.

It can be difficult to precisely calculate your living costs - a lot depends on your lifestyle. Setting a budget will help you get the most out of your time at university, without running up unexpected debts.

If you are unsure what kind of expenses you may face during your studies you can view a list here:Undergraduate living costs | Manchester Metropolitan University (mmu.ac.uk) this can be useful to get an idea of what you will be spending!

I would recommend taking a look at the figures above and using the Student Finance calculator to gain an understanding of the loan you will have and your outgoings. Many students will also take part-time job to support them.

Many universities will offer additional support to you during your studies depending on your circumstances.

Here at Manchester Met we offer some different Scholarships and grants you may be eligible to access you can find information here: Scholarships, bursaries and grants for undergraduate students | Manchester Metropolitan University (mmu.ac.uk)

Are you worried about funding during your course? Or does anyone have any tips they can share about saving money as a student?

Any questions let me know and we can have a chat!

Carly :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
I'm worried but what can we do? We need to keep pushing forward despite all these.
Original post by rodiane17
I'm worried but what can we do? We need to keep pushing forward despite all these.

Hi @rodiane17

You're right we do need to keep pushing forward as best we can! It is such a worrying time for the whole country at the moment so I think it's completely normal for your to feel worried. Many students were worried about affording university before the cost of living and the pandemic.

I think a good start is knowing what support is out there for you and what you can access at whichever university you are looking at going to. Most students will look for part-time work and some universities will have work students can take part in on-campus which is usually flexible so it can be really handy for a little bit of extra support. Again, knowing what your university offers in terms of crisis/emergency funding or any additional support it can offer is always good to know in the back of your mind.

Carly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending