The Student Room Group

If UK Government goes into another major recession, what are your plans?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Probably be like....

Reply 21
Original post by Bill_Gates
Property prices are directly linked to Banks who hold your savings?

I'm not really sure what the question is. "Property prices are directly linked to banks": that seems fairly meaningless. Yes, banks deal in property; yes, banks hold savings for many people. What's the point?

Price of goods can both increase and decrease

Indeed. In a recession, inflation usually goes down. In the UK in 2008 this wasn't true for a number of reasons.

You can't

Of course you can, and vast swathes of people barely notice it beyond being something in the news.
Offer up the liberals as a sacrifice to our overlords
Original post by marco14196
Offer up the liberals as a sacrifice to our overlords

haha as is happening now!
Move
Reply 25
Raise up the drawbridge

Let's say a 10 year Japan style recession. The whole property bubble and endless QE goes boom!

Continue to work in IT
Buy up some property "cheaply"
Rent it out
Profit
Original post by The_Internet
Continue to work in IT
Buy up some property "cheaply"
Rent it out
Profit

winning lad!
Original post by somethingbeautiful
When the last one happened I was a new graduate trying to find a job, so it hit me hard. When it happens next I should be in a career so fingers crossed it won't be a huge concern.

The last one was fantastic from a student loans POV ie: it was set at the BoE base rate of that year. 2011 loans meant that we pay back..the money + 0.5% which is generally lower than inflation (though not atm)

Personally, I think we may well be headed for recession when ....oil prices are totally hiked up and I personally reckon that we'll see a housing market crash in London, which will have knock on effects across the south east.
Original post by The_Internet
The last one was fantastic from a student loans POV ie: it was set at the BoE base rate of that year. 2011 loans meant that we pay back..the money + 0.5% which is generally lower than inflation (though not atm)

Personally, I think we may well be headed for recession when ....oil prices are totally hiked up and I personally reckon that we'll see a housing market crash in London, which will have knock on effects across the south east.

good observation, can't wait!

Let's say a 10 year Japan style recession. The whole property bubble and endless QE goes boom!

Carry on as normal. I'll be honest, the biggest impact of the recession was uncertainty.

Reduction in interest relates in 2008/2009 significantly reduced my mortgage repayments giving me more disposable income the over compensated for any lack of pay rise.

I'll be stopping watching the news next time around as I'm sure 24 hour news reporting had an impact on people getting confidence back.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Carry on as normal. I'll be honest, the biggest impact of the recession was uncertainty.

Reduction in interest relates in 2008/2009 significantly reduced my mortgage repayments giving me more disposable income the over compensated for any lack of pay rise.

I'll be stopping watching the news next time around as I'm sure 24 hour news reporting had an impact on people getting confidence back.

Was a great opportunity for me, never made the most of it. But i don't think the next major recession/depression will see any returns in conventional assets.

I would be on the lookout for bargains.

Recessions are always a good time to expand and update business.

When Iceland was going through its height of economic downturn I snapped up 120 acres of land for what was essentially peanuts. Also bought a hotel there which though was cheap to buy it was in need of some major updates. Many including my bankers thought I was bonkers to put money into Iceland, I soldiered on anyway as for the most part I didn't really care if it made money or not, if it didn't then I just would simply view it as a place I wanted to have since I've always had an interest with Iceland and had always felt a certain connection to it. Today, the land holding has expanded to be 270 acres and now no more room to expand, the original hotel was demolished and built a new and bigger place on the site.

While I don't hold the same feel and connection to England as I do for Iceland or Norway, in an event of a recession I'd never completely abandon ship, might however be more cautious and look more aggressively for savings.
If I had the money I'd buy a house while they're cheap.
Personally, I dream of recessionary periods. Everything is cheap, and if you're broker allows you too, you can contribute to this reduced demand by shorting :smile: You can make a lot of lucre.
Original post by Mamoixen
Personally, I dream of recessionary periods. Everything is cheap, and if you're broker allows you too, you can contribute to this reduced demand by shorting :smile: You can make a lot of lucre.

This is what Dick Fuld thinks of you

................... Now process my order or I'll come down to the trading floor and slap ya :tongue:

[video="youtube;GZCmWkQuyPc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZCmWkQuyPc[/video]
Cry and look outside of the UK for a job since I don't care where I work as long as I'm having fun.
Reply 37
I'm 17, as long as DLA keeps coming in I'd be fine. If need be I could do odd cash in hand jobs fixing computers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Tbh I will commit mass murder on politicians because there all ***** who mess everything up and I could run this country better and I'm 14
Very little changed for me during the last recession; I just bought fewer Taste The Difference products.
I am deliberately pig-headed about these things and won't start worrying until we see the return of the three day week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending