The Student Room Group

Transferring Uni

Hi!i initially applied to and intended on studying the engineering foundation year at the university of manchester however was rejected assumably due to poor predicted grades. The entry requirements were ABB for those who didn't study relevant subjects ( i did Biology, Psychology and Philosophy) but i only managed to get BCC although i was literally 2 raw marks off an overall A in one of my Alevels. I am now going to be starting the engineering foundation year in portsmouth which is pretty far bearing in mind i live in leeds. Both uni's foundation year are very similar as they include very similar modules in all the required subjects essential for a transition into year 1 of petroleum engineering which is what i would like to study. Ultimately, what I'm asking is, how likely am i to be able to transfer onto year 1 petroleum engineering at manchester after my foundation year at portsmouth? and would they take the fact that my alevels weren't up to par into account or brush past it since i will have done a foundation year? also, would i be looking to apply through UCAS immediately or once i receive my first set of results? note that iv already emailed them however am waiting on a response, i decided to email first since the uni have a tendency to shut me down over the phone regarding anything!i would really appreciate the help/advice/guidance!earn some good karma!
Why are you so keen in going to Manchester? There are some other good unis doing Pet Eng. Best thing is to send an email to their admissions team and found out if they are okay with you doing a foundation year.

But to be honest if I were you, I'd give Portsmouth a chance. I went there for an open day and wasn't that bad, although the course is relatively new I would say it has come a long way, they may even do a MEng by 2016.
Firstly, why didn't you do the Leeds foundation year since you are from Leeds and then do Petroleum at Leeds?

Secondly, yes it is possible especially between Russell group Unis. I did the Leeds foundation year and then transferred onto the Manchester Petroleum course for this academic year.

hope this helped
Original post by Deeko1987
Firstly, why didn't you do the Leeds foundation year since you are from Leeds and then do Petroleum at Leeds?

Secondly, yes it is possible especially between Russell group Unis. I did the Leeds foundation year and then transferred onto the Manchester Petroleum course for this academic year.

hope this helped

Thanks for the repply man, really do appreciate it,
Did you have to do do significantly better in the foundation year to transer to manchester? They seem to generally have higher entry requirment. Also, is it any less likely since portsmouth isnt a russel group? You tansfered through UCAS right? When exactly in the academic year did you apply? Cheers!
Hi sorry on the delay.

Yeah I needed a 1st in each module which was 70% minimum where as my entry for Leeds Pet eng was 65%, this is because Manchesters course is apparently (from speaking with student of the course) easier and 70% is achievable where as with Leeds 70% was reserved for Medicine only and is pretty hard to get. I applied in November I think. not 100% sure of the whole not being russel group but the best advice I can give is to show them that you want to be on the course and you'll go to any length to get on.

cheers
Original post by Deeko1987
Hi sorry on the delay.

Yeah I needed a 1st in each module which was 70% minimum where as my entry for Leeds Pet eng was 65%, this is because Manchesters course is apparently (from speaking with student of the course) easier and 70% is achievable where as with Leeds 70% was reserved for Medicine only and is pretty hard to get. I applied in November I think. not 100% sure of the whole not being russel group but the best advice I can give is to show them that you want to be on the course and you'll go to any length to get on.

cheers

Thanks agian for replying!
Did you get onto the foundation year through Alevels, if so which and what grades did you achieve? Or did you do an acess course? Also, what did the foundation year at leeds consist of? Since you applied through UCAS in november, how long did it take for them to make you an offer?
Thanks in advance, really do appreciate it since i can relate to you quite a lot, cheers!
I'm actually a mature student (27), I never actually studied my Alevels or GCSE's for that matter. Essentially the Leeds foundation year looked at my application based on;

I went to a school which had below average grade results
I was the first member of my family to attend university

amongst other things which I cannot remember.

I was interviewed by Manchester in (around) March. During the interview the interviewer asked me about my hobbies and I told them that I dabbled in investment in small market cap oil companies (which I do), they also followed this market which led to a lengthy discussion on potential company, the oil reform in Mexico and the Horsehill discovery near Gatwick. After this conversation I was told in as many words that regardless of my results (within reason) I would be accepted. I received an conditional offer within days which turned unconditional upon finishing Leeds.

cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending