The Student Room Group

UCL Msc Computer Science

Dear all,

I'm thinking of applying for the UCL Msc Computer Science.

I am wondering, is there an interview as part of the process? I have tried to search the website and I am almost sure it is only for Research degrees...

Do these Computer Science Conversion courses have a lot of applicants?
I know for the Imperial one has about 400 applicants each year for something like 40 places, but again the Imperial one allows people with computing degrees to apply...

I was under the impression that all postgrad applications required a CV to be part of it... I see no mention of it on their website... I know Bristol says it is not required, but it may be included if the applicant feels it will help their application...

For me I think the UCL and the Birmingham conversion courses are the most complete. What do people think?

All the best
Original post by Incongruous
Dear all,

I'm thinking of applying for the UCL Msc Computer Science.

I am wondering, is there an interview as part of the process? I have tried to search the website and I am almost sure it is only for Research degrees...

Do these Computer Science Conversion courses have a lot of applicants?
I know for the Imperial one has about 400 applicants each year for something like 40 places, but again the Imperial one allows people with computing degrees to apply...

I was under the impression that all postgrad applications required a CV to be part of it... I see no mention of it on their website... I know Bristol says it is not required, but it may be included if the applicant feels it will help their application...

For me I think the UCL and the Birmingham conversion courses are the most complete. What do people think?

All the best

In the postgrad FAQ it says they do not generally interview applicants. You could always email them to make sure.
Reply 2
I will look into UCL too. ta
I got into Birmingham and Liverpool to do the conversion with a 2:2 in psychology, but I have electronic engineering work experience. I would have loved to go to Birmingham but couldn't afford to move them, whereas I can commute to Liverpool. Liverpool have proved fairly flexible with module choices though.

I wanted to apply to UCL but they charged an application fee and they also required a small programme to be submitted, so it depends on whether you have any pre-existing knowledge.

I didn't get interviewed for any of my applications, including the ones I got into. I applied for Bristol, Imperial, Birmingham, Liverpool, and Sheffield (slightly different course).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bsturgeon1
I got into Birmingham and Liverpool to do the conversion with a 2:2 in psychology, but I have electronic engineering work experience. I would have loved to go to Birmingham but couldn't afford to move them, whereas I can commute to Liverpool. Liverpool have proved fairly flexible with module choices though.

I wanted to apply to UCL but they charged an application fee and they also required a small programme to be submitted, so it depends on whether you have any pre-existing knowledge.

I didn't get interviewed for any of my applications, including the ones I got into. I applied for Bristol, Imperial, Birmingham, Liverpool, and Sheffield (slightly different course).

Posted from TSR Mobile

How come you have experience in Electronic engineering if you are a psychology grad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you also get asked for your A-Levels?

I'm doing a course in 4 different languages for the past few months. Programming, I've done for a year and a half. I have experience with Java, C++, C, C#.Net, SQL. I am completely self-taught. I am familiar and comfortable with: OOP, UI design in Java and C#, concurrency, java applets and a few other things...

On the UCL website they say:
"you should include a basic programme that you have written and submit this along with your application, the program should be one to three pages of script and include a one page description of how it works. Java or Python would be best. Please add this under the personal statement in the online application."

Keyword is basic... What do they mean?
Original post by Juichiro
How come you have experience in Electronic engineering if you are a psychology grad?

My dad has an audio visual company so I've been doing all aspects of it working for him for years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing a course in 4 different languages for the past few months. Programming, I've done for a year and a half. I have experience with Java, C++, C, C#.Net, SQL. I am completely self-taught. I am familiar and comfortable with: OOP, UI design in Java and C#, concurrency, java applets and a few other things...

"you should include a basic programme that you have written and submit this along with your application, the program should be one to three pages of script and include a one page description of how it works. Java or Python would be best. Please add this under the personal statement in the online application."

They do ask but my A-levels are poor (BBC in drama, psychology and maths), they based it purely on my degree. They mostly want to see enthusiasm for the subject, both universities said they needed to see that you actually wanted to do it as well as some academic performance. I got in with a 2:2, but it's no surprise I got turned down by Bristol and Imperial, they were wishful thinking really. I'm just happy I've upgraded from MMU!

As far as UCL are concerned, when I spoke to them they said it just needed to be very basic, about 3 pages I think, though I'll check that and get back to you if I'm wrong. I'd say from what you have listed it's worth applying, but get your programme sorted first because they charge £50 non-refundable application fee.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apologies, I didn't read your post properly. I remember now, you are right it is 1-3 pages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My dad has an audio visual company so I've been doing all aspects of it working for him for years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's awesome, Sturgeon. :smile: Did you accept Liverpool's offer? Do you have any programming experience/skills? :smile:

That's pretty impressive. Especially mastering C++ and C in one year. What's the most complex software you have built using C++ and C?
That's awesome, Sturgeon. :smile: Did you accept Liverpool's offer? Do you have any programming experience/skills? :smile:

Yes, I did. I start on the 21st :smile: bit gutting turning Birmingham down though. I have started teaching myself C++ and Java but I'm right at the beginning still. I have assisted my dad using AMX and Crestron, but it's more going through his programmes with him rather than doing it myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's pretty impressive. Especially mastering C++ and C in one year. What's the most complex software you have built using C++ and C?

I didn't master it by any means :P I know what I can't do. There are several topics I haven't even touched such as networking or anything to do with graphics and C and C++...
I've mainly done logic games, my own solutions for projecteuler.com, and small projects which have allowed me to workout how individual elements of code work.

To be fair C was my first language. I have literally no idea why. I had read about it, I had a friend tell me I should choose either Java or C. C seemed more entertaining somehow. After a while, I wanted to try new languages hence I moved on to C++ and then Java and C#.Net. I was completely taken back due to how easy they both are to learn and use compared to C/C++... So I have neglected both C and C++...

They do ask but my A-levels are poor (BBC in drama, psychology and maths), they based it purely on my degree. They mostly want to see enthusiasm for the subject, both universities said they needed to see that you actually wanted to do it as well as some academic performance. I got in with a 2:2, but it's no surprise I got turned down by Bristol and Imperial, they were wishful thinking really. I'm just happy I've upgraded from MMU!

As far as UCL are concerned, when I spoke to them they said it just needed to be very basic, about 3 pages I think, though I'll check that and get back to you if I'm wrong. I'd say from what you have listed it's worth applying, but get your programme sorted first because they charge £50 non-refundable application fee.
Which ones asked you for your A levels? I thought only Imperial did... I haven't found on the UCL one anywhere to input my A levels and putting them on my PS sounds really awkward.

Thank you^^
Which ones asked you for your A levels? I thought only Imperial did... I haven't found on the UCL one anywhere to input my A levels and putting them on my PS sounds really awkward

I honestly can't remember, I applied ages ago. I think they all (or at least some but I can't remember which) had a section for me to input it. I definitely didn't put them in my personal statement. My personal statement was all about my career plans, personify, and work experience. Most applications have a document with advise on how to write your PS and what to include.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I honestly can't remember, I applied ages ago. I think they all (or at least some but I can't remember which) had a section for me to input it. I definitely didn't put them in my personal statement. My personal statement was all about my career plans, personify, and work experience. Most applications have a document with advise on how to write your PS and what to include.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay. Thank you.

Having looked at the UCL/Bristol/Birmingham ones I haven't found any bit. I know the Imperial one asks for it.
Reply 15
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of applying for this program, and would like some advice on the application process, particularly with the personal statement.

I'm currently in my final year of Maths and Economics at LSE, with very little programming experience, apart from a half unit of Algorithms in Java that I am studying now.

What do you think UCL are looking for in an applicant, and what are the best ways of maximising my chances of getting an offer.

Thanks!
Original post by Lg72
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of applying for this program, and would like some advice on the application process, particularly with the personal statement.

I'm currently in my final year of Maths and Economics at LSE, with very little programming experience, apart from a half unit of Algorithms in Java that I am studying now.

What do you think UCL are looking for in an applicant, and what are the best ways of maximising my chances of getting an offer.

Thanks!

They require a program to be submitted so make sure you learn enough program knowledge to show your skills in the program you submit.
They require a program to be submitted so make sure you learn enough program knowledge to show your skills in the program you submit.

Only if you don't have 1-2 years of professional programming experience or an A level in Computing.

Hi Juichiro,

Where on the UCL website does it say you need to submit a program?
Original post by WonderApe
Hi Juichiro,

Where on the UCL website does it say you need to submit a program?

Sorry, I mistook it with another MSc CS program. But UCL still asks for evidence of programming skills so you might need to submit one (unless you have some sort of programming certificate already).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending