The Student Room Group

How much should I value ranking?

I really like the MSc. in Software engineering course at Cardiff. The modules are just what I want. It also offers a placement year, which is honestly a big deal considering I dont really have any work experience.

However, with my grades, I can get into the computer science masters courses at UCL as well. Even though UCL is ranked higher than Cardiff, the modules at UCL aren't as well thought out for what I want to pursue.

How's computer science at cardiff? Is it good enough for me to disregard the difference in ranking when compared to UCL?
(edited 3 months ago)
I would value course content, work experience opportunities and quality of life over rankings, personally.
Original post by totallyfine
I would value course content, work experience opportunities and quality of life over rankings, personally.

as a uni snob, i concede i would agree with this. albeit i would look at the criteria that makes the rankings (eg. i don't care about quality of research) and take it into consideration
Reply 3
Original post by ChaosWorld1
I really like the MSc. in Software engineering course at Cardiff. The modules are just what I want. It also offers a placement year, which is honestly a big deal considering I dont really have any work experience.

However, with my grades, I can get into the computer science masters courses at UCL as well. Even though UCL is ranked higher than Cardiff, the modules at UCL aren't as well thought out for what I want to pursue.

How's computer science at cardiff? Is it good enough for me to disregard the difference in ranking when compared to UCL?

A sandwich year is probably the most valuable part of any degree simply because it offers you that vital experience that grads of pure degrees won't have.

The software and computer business is pretty meritocratic. They care less about who you are and where you come from and more about what you can do. If if the modules at Cardiff float your boat and also come with essential experience, what is there not to like about you?

Good luck!
As noted the computing sector doesn't really care that much which uni you went to. Work experience and ability to perform in leetcode and assessment centre exercises makes much more difference.

The Cardiff course facilitating a placement year therefore is probably much more valuable to begin with. Also worth noting, UCL CS is kind of a bit overrated simply due to being in London. Also due to being in London, and at UCL, it'd most likely cost far more (both tuition fees and living costs) for limited benefit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending