The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University - Economics & Maths - Module selection question

Hey Guys

Ive finally registered for the Economics degree after catching up on my maths.

I'm looking to study this degree part time over 6 years. However, I'm a little confused about the stage 1 module selection at the moment. I'm opting for the gentle start. There are 4 x 30 point modules.

What I want to know is: - What's the general idea with how to schedule these modules (When doign part time)? Do I select 1 module to start with and then start the second one in January? Or do I work on two modules from October in parallel? Doing 2 per year, so stage 1 taking 2 out of the 6 years of study.

Not sure if I've explained myself very well :frown:

Any help is appreciated.

Paul
Reply 1
I did that same degree except I did it full time.

Some of the people who I studied with did it part time and took 2 modules together in October.
They found it better because it meant that they had a break between modules in the summer.

The other way would mean you're constantly studying and doing assignments etc. throughout the whole 12 months.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Cheers for the info Nucdev

Ok, so I can choose either way? Hmmm, I'm sure Ive read a few times the OU encouraging part timers to only do 1 module at a time. Anyone have any idea what most people do? (I guess it's relevant to any course with 4 modules in stage 1)
Reply 3
Original post by Paulospanda
Cheers for the info Nucdev

Ok, so I can choose either way? Hmmm, I'm sure Ive read a few times the OU encouraging part timers to only do 1 module at a time. Anyone have any idea what most people do? (I guess it's relevant to any course with 4 modules in stage 1)

No problem.

Yes you can. The OU encourages you to do 60 credits per year IF you're doing it part-time - that would mean either 1 module worth 60 credits or 2 modules worth 30 credits each.

I suspect it really does depend on you and what you're most comfortable with. Those whom I studied with did the Oct. start and Jan. start in the first year, found it to be tiring and switched to the other method (both Oct. start).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest