The Student Room Group

Considering doing PPE @ Open Uni, absolutely terrible at maths!

I really want to study PPE, I love politics and philosophy, and to a smaller extent general economics, although I'm not an economist, and dyscalculic, so maths is a huge struggle with me.

Do you think I'd be alright to study PPE at the Open University whilst being, well, awful at maths, or should I do BA History and Politics instead?

Or, third option, I could do an Open Degree I suppose, picking a mix of politics and philosophy modules, but I'm just not sure. Advice please!!!
Hi,

I am currently a PPE Student at the University of Southampton. Economics is highly mathematical. Therefore, I would only recommend it, if you feel you would enjoy maths. Personally, I would recommend you study Philosophy and Politics as this would allow you to spend more time on those subjects as doing PPE would mean you get a chance to study each of the subjects in less depth.

However, if you are generally interested in economics then PPE is still worth a try. Universities have support systems with those with learning disabilities so you would be eligible for extra help for your dyscalculia.

Therefore, I recommend reaching out to the universities you are interested in and asking them the content of the courses and how much maths is involved as well as what support they have available for those with dyscalculia.

Best wishes,
Gulcin
Student Ambassador
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending