The Student Room Group

Biomedical science Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Anyone been invited to a York open day in December??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Faizzur1
Hi there, I have no idea with regards to placement year. I would prefer courses that offer an optional placement year as a choice but at the moment I'm not sure. As my intentions are to hopefully study dentistry and have biomedical science as a back up career plan, then I guess placement year would be beneficial.

Any suggestions whether or not I should take a placement year? BTW I have changed my choices to either Kent/Warwick, Queen Mary, St Georges, UCLan, Brighton.

hi:wink:
Well, I want to become a biomedical scientist so I thought placement year would be useful especially if I want to work with the nhs..which I think is a safe option (with ibms accreditation)

But I guess if you want to transfer to dentistry u dont have to...discuss with ur teachers though
gd luck:wink:
Hey everyone!

Sent off my application a week ago for Biomedical Sciences. I want to go to Durham, KCL, Edinburgh, Southampton and Warwick.

Academically I got:
8A*s and 3As at GCSE
3 As at AS level
4 Bs at A-level (i did one PRE-U)
Predicted grades are A*AA

I am super duper nervous about applying, I really want to go to Durham (not actually sure why so much). I know my application is based on other parts of my UCAS such as my personal statement, but I was wondering what anyone thinks my chances are for Durham ??????:s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Well done to anyone with offers xxx
This is the problem I'm currently having. I can't decide whether its safer to apply to all IBMS accredited courses (which significantly reduces my uni options along with my low predicted grades of BBB) or I should also pick 1 or 2 biological/medical science which aren't accredited.

Currently I'm applying to Queen Mary, Brighton, UCLan, St Georges and either Warwick/Kent. However ideally I want prefer to stay as close to or inside London but its not a major issue. Also I could apply to Leicester, Exeter, Liverpool, East Anglia or Coventry to do biological or medical sciences.

What do you think I should do?

BBB aren't low grades really, they should be sufficient to get you into all unis that offer IBMS accredited biomed degrees (except QMUL or SGUL, which may have higher thresholds). The question is: Do you want to be a biomedical scientist? If so then you have to do an accredited degree. If you have plans for going into research then you have more options and can apply to whatever you fancy. Accredited degrees aren't all the same though, they just have the minimum knowledge required to be acceptable from the IBMS and HCPC but can differ in terms of content in chemistry or biology etc. Be warned though, some universities offer medical science or medical biochemistry and these degrees might be basically the same as an IBMS accredited biomed degree but they are not and will not allow you to be registered as a biomedical scientist.
Finally, if you want to be a biomedical scientist, you will have to try to do the 4-year degree. This has a placement in a pathology lab, which is mandatory to register when you graduate. You need both the IBMS accredited degree AND the certificate of competence from the HCPC you get from the placement year to be able to practise. Does that make sense?
Reply 64
Original post by BiomedDurham
Hey everyone!

Sent off my application a week ago for Biomedical Sciences. I want to go to Durham, KCL, Edinburgh, Southampton and Warwick.

Academically I got:
8A*s and 3As at GCSE
3 As at AS level
4 Bs at A-level (i did one PRE-U)
Predicted grades are A*AA

I am super duper nervous about applying, I really want to go to Durham (not actually sure why so much). I know my application is based on other parts of my UCAS such as my personal statement, but I was wondering what anyone thinks my chances are for Durham ??????:s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Well done to anyone with offers xxx

I got an offer from Durham a couple of days ago, all of your grades are better than mine, so on that front you have a strong application. I think as long as your reference shows that you are passionate about wanting to study biomed and your personal statement shows that you read around the subject and have a genuine interest, then honestly there's no reason why they wouldn't give you an offer!
[QUOTE="Koalafications;60315197"]
Original post by IH5976

I applied on the 21st of October, so not long ago!

The offers are from Keele and Warwick, but I've also applied to Bath, York and Sheffield! I'm just excited for any offers really, even though I didn't send it off long ago. When did you send yours off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was the offer Warwick has sent you if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by Hazel37
Hi, Im glad to see there's a biomed thread!

I've been quite lucky with UCAS as I received all my offers by the 24th of october.
I applied to:
Warwick MSc Biomedical sciences
Bath BSc Biomedical sciences
Southampton MSc Biomedical sciences
Surrey BSc Biomedical science
Exeter Bsc Medical Sciences

GCSE: 7A* 3A B
AS: AAAA (biology, maths, physics, chemistry)
A2 (Predicted): A*AA

Congrats to everyone else with offers! :smile:

Hey, congratulations with your grades! I was wondering how you got the A in biology and chemistry.. i knew the syllabus really well for biology last year and i got a C! i'm redoing it on january and i'm not really sure on how to improve my grades.. I'm also giving the chemistry AS on january for the first time! can u give me any tips for biology and chemistry? :smile:
Original post by Koalafications
Just got an offer from Bath! They got back pretty fast!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was your bath offer if u don't mind me asking? :smile:
Hi guys congrats to you if you have already received offers :smile:

My AS grades were BCDD (chemistry, Biology, psychology, business) :frown:
my predicted grades are ABB (Chemistry, Biology, psychology)

I'm hopefully going to apply next week Friday and I'm applying to Brighton, Queen Mary, St George's, UCLan (Biomedical science), Liverpool (Biological science).

I'm still not sure about the last uni I've picked (as it's not IBMS accredited) does anyone have any other university suggestions for an aspiring dental student?

Why don't you try for surrey or kent? they are high in the rankings and they're both ibms accredited. they're close to london as well. and surrey's really beautiful :smile:
hey, what was the offer Warwick has sent you? :smile:
My UCAS got sent off last Monday and I applied for Biomedical Science at Birmingham, Cardiff, Keele and Plymouth. I also applied to Nottingham for Medical Physiology and Therapeutics. I've got two offers so far from Keele and Plymouth and was just wondering if anyone, who has offers from Birmingham or Cardiff, could tell me how long did they took to respond? Thanks :smile:
Reply 71
Cardiff took just over 2 weeks
Original post by Picton01
Cardiff took just over 2 weeks

Ah okay cheers can I ask what your predictions were?
Reply 73
AAAB
Original post by jst1995
I got an offer from Durham a couple of days ago, all of your grades are better than mine, so on that front you have a strong application. I think as long as your reference shows that you are passionate about wanting to study biomed and your personal statement shows that you read around the subject and have a genuine interest, then honestly there's no reason why they wouldn't give you an offer!

Thanks for the help and congrats on the offer. How long after you sent it off did they reply?
Reply 75
Thanks for the help and congrats on the offer. How long after you sent it off did they reply?

They acknowledged it after 2 weeks of being sent and then the offer came later the same day which was weird :tongue:
Original post by jst1995
They acknowledged it after 2 weeks of being sent and then the offer came later the same day which was weird :tongue:

Nice, which college did you get into? or do you not know yet
Reply 77
Nice, which college did you get into? or do you not know yet

I don't know yet, apparently they allocate in February or something?
Original post by jst1995
I don't know yet, apparently they allocate in February or something?

Which did you apply for? Personally I went for castle
[QUOTE="chriss1997;60770451"]
Original post by Koalafications

What was the offer Warwick has sent you if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

ABB :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending