The Student Room Group

The UK uni rankings when orgranised by entry standards

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards

See the link. By entry standards it means average UCAS points. You should also take in to account that general studies is taken in to account, so think of that when you see the scottish entry standards (where scottish students don't have general studies).

I don't get it. You guys go on and on about certain universities (I don't mean Oxbridge), yet when you look at the entry standards, the students aren't even impressive. And when you take in to account that many people were in private schools and went to these unis with UCAS points this low... It's like boasting about being able to train with Usain Bolt when you can't run 100 metres in less than 20 seconds...

And when you include all this Russel Group boasting... and the fact that 99 % of people take humanities subjects... it's like the boasting is becoming completely independent of any actual achievement.

I think the big cherry on top of all this absurdity is the fact that Durham's Maths (and maybe physics) courses get offered in clearing (I don't go there or take the subjects btw). Mountains and mountains of discussion about "prestige" and whose uni signifies what, yet there you have a respected as **** subject at a respected as **** university, and nobody takes it...
Original post by throwawayijd
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards

See the link. By entry standards it means average UCAS points. You should also take in to account that general studies is taken in to account, so think of that when you see the scottish entry standards (where scottish students don't have general studies).

I don't get it. You guys go on and on about certain universities (I don't mean Oxbridge), yet when you look at the entry standards, the students aren't even impressive. And when you take in to account that many people were in private schools and went to these unis with UCAS points this low... It's like boasting about being able to train with Usain Bolt when you can't run 100 metres in less than 20 seconds...

And when you include all this Russel Group boasting... and the fact that 99 % of people take humanities subjects... it's like the boasting is becoming completely independent of any actual achievement.

I think the big cherry on top of all this absurdity is the fact that Durham's Maths (and maybe physics) courses get offered in clearing (I don't go there or take the subjects btw). Mountains and mountains of discussion about "prestige" and whose uni signifies what, yet there you have a respected as **** subject at a respected as **** university, and nobody takes it...

I don't think Durham Maths course was in Clearing?Which Universities and Courses are you concerned about having low UCAS Points?Remember A*-140 A-120 B-100 for A Level and half that for AS.Also, UCAS Points are a really bad way to compare standards I believe IB students ruin the UCAS Point system as they are awarded a lot more I think(some of the UCAS averages are very high for an average as a result), you are also failing to take into account the other aspects required for entry like admissions tests and interviews.
Reply 2
Original post by Dalek1099
I don't think Durham Maths course was in Clearing?Which Universities and Courses are you concerned about having low UCAS Points?Remember A*-140 A-120 B-100 for A Level and half that for AS.Also, UCAS Points are a really bad way to compare standards I believe IB students ruin the UCAS Point system as they are awarded a lot more I think(some of the UCAS averages are very high for an average as a result), you are also failing to take into account the other aspects required for entry like admissions tests and interviews.

This is correct. Also, international students get obscene levels in the UCAS tariff - some go up to 900 points. Getting A*A*A*A* at A-level only nets you 560 points, which is apparently lower than the Cambridge average, thanks to international students.

Durham stated on their website that NO courses were in clearing this year.
Original post by Alex:
This is correct. Also, international students get obscene levels in the UCAS tariff - some go up to 900 points. Getting A*A*A*A* at A-level only nets you 560 points, which is apparently lower than the Cambridge average, thanks to international students.

This suggests one of two things either Universities are setting standards incorrectly or UCAS is setting standards incorrectly and I'd be more inclined to believe that UCAS are in the wrong if a University generally wants x number of IB points for an AAA course then the UCAS points for that IB course should be the equivalent of AAA.

You are still forgetting the AS Levels which do help up the UCAS Points I got A*A*A*Aa which netted me a respectful level of 600 UCAS Points.
Reply 5
This suggests one of two things either Universities are setting standards incorrectly or UCAS is setting standards incorrectly and I'd be more inclined to believe that UCAS are in the wrong if a University generally wants x number of IB points for an AAA course then the UCAS points for that IB course should be the equivalent of AAA.

You are still forgetting the AS Levels which do help up the UCAS Points I got A*A*A*Aa which netted me a respectful level of 600 UCAS Points.

Well done! I got 590 points from my A-levels and AS-level. However, I do think the majority of students don't do four A-levels and an AS-level or even four A-levels. Even you got lower than Cambridge's average entry requirements, so there has to be some international influence. Or rather, a LOT of international influence.
Reply 6

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/international/international-students-the-facts/by-university/

See link above. Just wanted to add some unis UCAS points are artificially high, eg. St Andrews because from what I understand they take a lot of international students (they have one of the highest percentages of international students in the country) where when their grades from abroad get converted into UCAS points it converts to like 500+ points, but its more due to flaws in the conversion system rather than these students being high achievers.
(edited 8 years ago)

It seems UCAS have picked up on their mistake and are rolling out a new tariff system as of 2017.

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides-and-resources/tariff-2017
I love that Kent accepts the lowest entry standards in the top 30 yet it has higher graduate prospects than 3 of the universities above it XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending