The Student Room Group

Birkbeck University or University of Greenwich (Masters)

Hi,

I need some help. I applied for 4 universities, regarding my Masters in Marketing Communications (BBK, Westminster and Kingston Business School) and Strategic Advertising and Marketing Communications (Greenwich degree). My goal is to be a great Marketer working in Advertising. Since I also live in London, I applied to the ones that offer this specific type of course. I was accepted in all and eventually I had to make a choice and reduced the options to two: Birkbeck or Greenwich. Westminster was way more expensive and I could not manage to get a scholarship because I am 31 y/o. For Kingston, the modules are less appealing and its quite far anyway from the center. Given my choice, I am not sure which one to choose because after researching about Birkbeck, the results are very ambiguous: many people say no, some say yes it is a good uni; Some people say they are money grabbers and will accept anyone, others say they are amazing at teaching. As for Greenwich I could not find any information regarding the accreditation of the course (CIM at least). Also, the way the website 'sells' the course information is not as good as Birkbeck, whereas Birkbeck seem to be focused on the corporate/professional life.

If anyone who has done any of these degrees has any info they can share (course, course work, lectures/lecturers, quality, employability rate, etc...) , I would be profoundly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tiago
Original post by TBGC
Hi,

I need some help. I applied for 4 universities, regarding my Masters in Marketing Communications (BBK, Westminster and Kingston Business School) and Strategic Advertising and Marketing Communications (Greenwich degree). My goal is to be a great Marketer working in Advertising. Since I also live in London, I applied to the ones that offer this specific type of course. I was accepted in all and eventually I had to make a choice and reduced the options to two: Birkbeck or Greenwich. Westminster was way more expensive and I could not manage to get a scholarship because I am 31 y/o. For Kingston, the modules are less appealing and its quite far anyway from the center. Given my choice, I am not sure which one to choose because after researching about Birkbeck, the results are very ambiguous: many people say no, some say yes it is a good uni; Some people say they are money grabbers and will accept anyone, others say they are amazing at teaching. As for Greenwich I could not find any information regarding the accreditation of the course (CIM at least). Also, the way the website 'sells' the course information is not as good as Birkbeck, whereas Birkbeck seem to be focused on the corporate/professional life.

If anyone who has done any of these degrees has any info they can share (course, course work, lectures/lecturers, quality, employability rate, etc...) , I would be profoundly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tiago

They are all money grabbers that will accept anyone, Birkbeck is the only one that doesn't have an entirely mockable reputation. Birkbeck is focussed on students that are also working, so the timetable is focussed on evening classes. It still has a stronger reputation that the other 3 which aren't worth the money.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
They are all money grabbers that will accept anyone, Birkbeck is the only one that doesn't have an entirely mockable reputation. Birkbeck is focussed on students that are also working, so the timetable is focussed on evening classes. It still has a stronger reputation that the other 3 which aren't worth the money.

Thanks for your reply. Could I please ask you to explain/formulate your reply, further. Especially regarding the reputation being stronger than the others and it not having a mockable reputation? I would be grateful if you could back it up with sources as I have OCD and I tend to overthink. In this case, if I don't have solid information, I tend to overthink the situation.
I have talked to the course leader, and she seemed to be very professional, but I read many people complaining. One staff saying that the university people manipulate the student's grades (someone who worked there wrote it on Glassdoor). Many dissatisfied students of Data Sciences course, and other courses. Not specifically Marketing Communications. I am very divided if I should go to this one although it is my preferred one from the two.

Thank you,

Tiago
Original post by TBGC
Thanks for your reply. Could I please ask you to explain/formulate your reply, further. Especially regarding the reputation being stronger than the others and it not having a mockable reputation? I would be grateful if you could back it up with sources as I have OCD and I tend to overthink. In this case, if I don't have solid information, I tend to overthink the situation.
I have talked to the course leader, and she seemed to be very professional, but I read many people complaining. One staff saying that the university people manipulate the student's grades (someone who worked there wrote it on Glassdoor). Many dissatisfied students of Data Sciences course, and other courses. Not specifically Marketing Communications. I am very divided if I should go to this one although it is my preferred one from the two.

Thank you,

Tiago

Universities in the UK can be divided into two types, those that select and those that recruit. Selecting universities (and courses) have high academic standards and a longstanding history of success for their graduates. They select applicants, and so can have high academic entry standards and are motivated by academic quality rather than money, because they will always have enough students applying to pay the bills.

Recruiting universities need to get people in the doors in order to stay financially afloat. They have low academic standards because that is not their focus, their focus is on numbers of students paying for degrees.

The problem is that it is very hard to tell whether a university, or indeed a specific course is recruiting or selecting when you are outside the admissions process of universities.

The universities you mention are all massively recruiting universities. They have very low academic standards at entry and through the course, you are likely to exit with FE college levels of knowledge but with university level debts.

The exception to that is Birkbeck, whose history you can google. It is set up for entirely different reasons and because of that it lies outside the selecting/recruiting paradigm.
I find threeportdrift's points very inspiring.

I actually don't understand why some comments would try to infer BBK is a bad one 'because' it admits students generously. What is the logic behind? BBK was founded to admit working class generously since 200 years ago, not because of profiting-making reason.

Ones should not take rankings as major reference. But if it's still worthy to be a minor reference, we know there is a big difference in rankings between BBK and Greenwich. In QS2023, BBK is ranked 39 in UK, Greenwich is 60+. In CWRU2022, BBK is 48 and Greenwich is 71. In THE2022, BBK is 41, Greenwich is 75. Again, as a minor reference only.

Two of my very good friends are studying there, but in UG courses, i.e. Law and Psychology, probably not directly relevant to OP's concern. But as two cents: my friend in School of Law was taught by 6 lecturers last year. One is bad, another one is keen to teach but probably lack of experience to be a very good one, the other 4 are really professional and perform very good. All returned very detailed and useful comment on his assignments, and nice to talk and help students inside and outside classroom.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Hi, I’m an Italian student.
I’m currently holding three offers from these universities:
- Birkbeck, University of London in Msc Astrobiology.
-Brunel, Msc Environmental management.
- UCD in Dublin: Msc Environmental science.
I have read really bad things about Brunel in the last weeks, but also about Birkbeck.
I really like the course offered by Birkbeck because I want to do astrobiology also in a future PhD and I have read that they share the department of Earth and Planetary science with UCL.

I really need some feedback about all of them cause I want to make the best decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending