The Student Room Group

Why did Richard III lose the Battle of Bosworth?

My history homework is to research this but everything I find is very vague and doesn't explain what actually went wrong at the battle.
I know that Richard went down with a few men to attack Henry VII and when this went wrong the Stanley's charged for Henry, attacked Richard and killed him because they outnumbered him, but I don't think this is detailed enough for my teacher :s-smilie:
Any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Henry, knowing himself to be not very experienced in leading battles, delegated this responsibilty to the earl of Oxford who kept the majority of this outnumbered army together.
Richard split his army into several smaller groups but they struggled to cause great effect against Henry's army, with many soldiers fleeing the battle.
In a desperate attempt to end the battle quicker, Richard led his own group charging into the fray in an attempt to end the battle quickly by piercing Henry's army and killing him. At this point Stanley led his men into battle to fight against Richard's men, believing that Henry was more likely to succeed in this battle. Outnumbered and outmatched, Richard's army was slain and so was Richard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending