The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Hi guys. Just sat the UKCAT today. I got 722,5 average and SJT band 1. I was thinking about applying to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow. Do you have any idea whether it's good enough? These four unis are my only option, since SAAS pays EU student's tuition fees if they're studying in Scotland and I want to avoid getting a student loan to study anywhere else in the UK. (Then I'd rather apply for medicine in my country.) Do you have any idea? Thanks for help.
Reply 381
Original post by HanaGEM
I hated medify so much it convinced me I was going to do atrociously, my averages were all around 60%, plus there are loads of mistakes on medify which makes the AR harder, particularly the which is next ones, i found about 10 where there was no actual answer!

i hate medify too. its convinced me i will fail. did u use kaplan??
Original post by sk88
i hate medify too. its convinced me i will fail. did u use kaplan??

Didnt use Kaplan, just medify, I say i hated it but I was well prepared.
Original post by HanaGEM

Did you feel it made a difference?
Original post by yung7up
Did you feel it made a difference?

Definitely, the key to the UKCAT is speed, Im sure we could all get 800s if the time was unlimited. Medify allows you to get used to the timing and improve your speed in a similar format to the UKCAT
Reply 385
Original post by HanaGEM

okay i see :smile:

thanks :smile: i have my test on monday and im super nervous
Original post by sk88
okay i see :smile:

thanks :smile: i have my test on monday and im super nervous

Ill be blunt, you arent going to get any better now, so chill, youll be much better prepared if you arent stressed, do too much and youll burn out, you just need to do enough to keep your mind working.
Original post by HanaGEM
Ill be blunt, you arent going to get any better now, so chill, youll be much better prepared if you arent stressed, do too much and youll burn out, you just need to do enough to keep your mind working.

Advice for each section? If you don't mind
Original post by yung7up
Advice for each section? If you don't mind

I dont profess to be an expert but I can tell you what worked for me.

VR - Im dyslexic so I knew there was no way I could read the passages, I just read the questions and scanned for answers, be cautious to read the Qs properly 'these are true except ...' Always got me when practicing

QR - Speed is key, if you cant do it quickly guess, flag and move on. Look out for questions where the answer is obvious and you dont need to do the calculations, there are a few you can do at a glance. And get used to using the number pad for the calculator.

AR - Practice, practice, practice, get used to the patterns, and if you cant spot it guess flag and move on.

DA - I wrote down the english translation directly, but Ive not seen anyone else do this. Then eliminated the ones that were definifely wrong, dont get stressed with medify DA its so far off the mark its unreal!

Cant help with SJT, I didnt revise, I did a lot of ethics in my degree so that helped, Ive seen reccomendations to read the GMC ethics stuff though.

Hope that helps
Original post by HanaGEM
I hated medify so much it convinced me I was going to do atrociously, my averages were all around 60%, plus there are loads of mistakes on medify which makes the AR harder, particularly the which is next ones, i found about 10 where there was no actual answer!

I found so many mistakes on student room, it made me angry
What UKCAT scores does anyone wanting to do dentistry have?
Reply 391
Anyone appling for Durham, do you put Durham University on the Pearson Vue form or do you put Newcastle like it is on UCAS???
Original post by SimSembi
Anyone appling for Durham, do you put Durham University on the Pearson Vue form or do you put Newcastle like it is on UCAS???

It's newcastle !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 393
Please, someone answer me.
Reply 394
Original post by Kylare
Please, someone answer me.

what was ur question??
Reply 395
Original post by SimSembi

I put Durham, I assumed if Durham was an option it was there for students who applied for medicine at Durham through Newcastle? Our applications are processed by Durhama and not Newcastle, so it makes sense that they'd need our UKCAT scores not Newcastle
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kylare
Hi guys. Just sat the UKCAT today. I got 722,5 average and SJT band 1. I was thinking about applying to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow. Do you have any idea whether it's good enough? These four unis are my only option, since SAAS pays EU student's tuition fees if they're studying in Scotland and I want to avoid getting a student loan to study anywhere else in the UK. (Then I'd rather apply for medicine in my country.) Do you have any idea? Thanks for help.

Yea I'm pretty sure over 700 is good for any undergraduate course
Does the VR on the UKCAT have a lot of obscure language like 'secularism' etc.. i'm crap at history, and never really paid attention, so anything to do with that really confuses me. You would think it wouldn't disadvantage me, but I just did a VR medify question and it asked you to select the synonym of the words 'extant' and 'rejoinder'..? I was lost.
Reply 398
Original post by Blood flood
Does the VR on the UKCAT have a lot of obscure language like 'secularism' etc.. i'm crap at history, and never really paid attention, so anything to do with that really confuses me. You would think it wouldn't disadvantage me, but I just did a VR medify question and it asked you to select the synonym of the words 'extant' and 'rejoinder'..? I was lost.

i dont think so. i did that questionan wa slike wtf
Reply 399
Original post by Blobfish13
Yea I'm pretty sure over 700 is good for any undergraduate course

Thank you very much. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending