The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dionnem
Hi all, sat my UKACT today which I had been preparing for since summer. Really really disappointed as I got an avg. score of 595.
I got: VR - 460
QR - 640
AR - 600
DA - 680
SJ - Band 1
I was incredibly nervous before the exam (I have anxiety so it is hard to control) and also the majority of the Q's were comprehension style not true/false/ can't tell (got barely any of those) so I ran out of time and so my mark was majorly affected. QR was okay for me as I really struggle with the timing on there and, again, ran out of time. I'm usually really good at AR but I got some really tricky ones in my sets. DA I'm also good at but I think it was a little more ambiguous this year. Anyone got any advice? I'm already not the strongest candidate so I'm not sure whether to just try again next year? I wanted to apply to Queen's University Belfast but I doubt any Uni would accept me with a score so low. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
PS. I know I can do Biomed and then do grad entry into medicine but is it best to try again next year or go into Biomed?

Hey! Sorry it didn't go as well as you hoped. If you look at page 3 of the Queens Belfast application booklet you get 3/6 with your score so that's not too bad! http://www.med.qub.ac.uk/docs/AdmissionPolicyMedicine.pdf
You can also look for your qualifications and see what you got, looking at your profile your scottish aha so this bits relevant;

When short listing applicants for interview, previous academic performance andUKCAT are important and will be scored. Applicants with a minimum of AAABB inScottish Highers are given serious consideration. 34 points are awarded for AAABB;35 points for AAAAB and 36 points for AAAAA at the first attempt.

Last year the cut off was 38 or 37 if you had straight As, also look at the BMAT unis/Cardiff/Keele/Bristol :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 781
VR 520
QR 790
AR 760
DA 770

I'm so happy! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 782
Original post by RioGk
VR 520
QR 790
AR 760
DA 770

I'm so happy! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice one. Any tips with regards to how the sections came across in comparison to resources you used before?I think I'm asking everyone hah.
Reply 783
Original post by Dionnem
Hi all, sat my UKACT today which I had been preparing for since summer. Really really disappointed as I got an avg. score of 595.
QR - 640
AR - 600
DA - 680
SJ - Band 1
I was incredibly nervous before the exam (I have anxiety so it is hard to control) and also the majority of the Q's were comprehension style not true/false/ can't tell (got barely any of those) so I ran out of time and so my mark was majorly affected. QR was okay for me as I really struggle with the timing on there and, again, ran out of time. I'm usually really good at AR but I got some really tricky ones in my sets. DA I'm also good at but I think it was a little more ambiguous this year. Anyone got any advice? I'm already not the strongest candidate so I'm not sure whether to just try again next year? I wanted to apply to Queen's University Belfast but I doubt any Uni would accept me with a score so low. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
PS. I know I can do Biomed and then do grad entry into medicine but is it best to try again next year or go into Biomed?

I got this score my first time round as a graduate applicant. My advice would be to apply next year as graduate entry and much more competitive and you'll be in MUCH more debt. I also think that over the coming years the UKCAT seems to be adopting a trend of becoming more difficult to regulate the average scores
Is it a good idea to apply to sheffield and southampton with my ukcat score:

Vr 470
Qr 710
Ar 780
Da 710
Stj band 2

Overall 668
Reply 785
I used medify and I was really depressed. I woke up like "by the end of the day I'll be very drunk!". I did the official QR from Pearson and it was cruel! The actual test was a lot easier than I was expecting. The reason I was freaked out was cause I only practised 4 days :/
Just be confident and you're sorted :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 786
Original post by RioGk
I used medify and I was really depressed. I woke up like "by the end of the day I'll be very drunk!". I did the official QR from Pearson and it was cruel! The actual test was a lot easier than I was expecting. The reason I was freaked out was cause I only practised 4 days :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that!
Reply 787
Original post by PoolR
Thanks for that!

No worries buddy! Good luck on your exam! :smile:
Looks like they made the Ukcat harder for the last couple of days:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RioGk

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've given me an immense level of hope. The official QR is just ass kicking and it scared me so much. I went over so much stuff to try and understand it.

My test is tomorrow morning. Will work vigorously through QR and VR. Already did AR, may practice a few questions tonight. DA is fine with me. I just have to be quick and think.
Reply 790
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
You've given me an immense level of hope. The official QR is just ass kicking and it scared me so much. I went over so much stuff to try and understand it.

My test is tomorrow morning. Will work vigorously through QR and VR. Already did AR, may practice a few questions tonight. DA is fine with me. I just have to be quick and think.

Honestly man, the official QR practice was cruel af! I was terrified!! It was a lot easier today. The exam QR was pretty much differences and percentages on simple tables. On the official I got 560 and on the exam 790 xD
Reply 791
Whoever wants a medify account let me know <3
Could anyone please give me some advice where I should apply :smile:

Is Southampton and Sheffield a good option ?
Is 590 even acceptable for medicine? On top of just having an average application; PS GCSE AS etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tonystark
Dude, I will kill you, if you kill me. I got 570 Lolz !!!!

Let's jump from a cliff together instead :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylan_20
Looks like they made the Ukcat harder for the last couple of days:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then would that not be unfair LOL.
Original post by RioGk
Honestly man, the official QR practice was cruel af! I was terrified!! It was a lot easier today. The exam QR was pretty much differences and percentages on simple tables. On the official I got 560 and on the exam 790 xD

Yay. So happy for you. I feel really good now.

I'll just do the QR on Medify and Emedica and go over the percentages, changes etc. once again.
Reply 797
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Yay. So happy for you. I feel really good now.

I'll just do the QR on Medify and Emedica and go over the percentages, changes etc. once again.

I reckon that would be enough. Practice on using the NumPad fast as well. It comes to handy! :biggrin:
Original post by Dionnem
QR - 640
AR - 600
DA - 680
SJ - Band 1

I would just try again next year if I were you tbh
Original post by Shostakovish
The last of us are tomorrow.

Good luck to all.

Yep!! Can't wait for it to be over with!

Latest

Trending

Trending