The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dairychocolate
Good luck for next year if you do try again. I'm sure your experience will help you and you'll succeed next year.

Thank you. It's been a major learning experience. All the best with your application!
Where do you think I should apply, just 6 year schemes?
My stats are:
IGCSE's: 3A* 2A's 1B
AS level: AABC
Predicted: A*A*A
UKCAT: 547.5 band 3 (I know horrible, don't laugh)

I would like to apply for:
Kings EMDP - Please tell me if I have a chance, are there other people who got an offer with my stats?
Nottingham medicine with a foundation year
UEA medicine with a foundation year
UCL ( I will hopefully get a good score on BMAT)

Barts was my first choice, but I have heard they want a very high ukcat score. They also don't seem to have a 6 year scheme that I am applicable for. Their health scheme seems to be only for people who live in tower hamlets, hackney. Is this true? Shall I try to apply for 5 year, or is it will it be literally impossible for me to get an interview.
Please give me some advice on my choices and suggestions for universities that I could get into? I have been posting this everywhere I apologies, but I want as much outside info as possible. It would be a great help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 982
Hi everyone, just a quick question...
On the results sheet they gave me after the test it says Pearson Vue will be emailing mid-September asking about my UCAS number or something so that they can link my UKCAT score to my application, but I haven't heard anything from them. Did anyone get the email?
Reply 983
Original post by smoggie98
Are you implying that the average could potentially be 600-620

last year the official average was around 626
Hey guys, just wanted opinions on whether 665 is a good score to apply for Manchester as it is deemed to be a high UKCAT uni. I think I have exceeded the the averages for the previous years expect 2013/2014. Thank you! :smile: x
Original post by Hexley
On the results sheet they gave me after the test it says Pearson Vue will be emailing mid-September asking about my UCAS number or something so that they can link my UKCAT score to my application, but I haven't heard anything from them. Did anyone get the email?

If you just log into Pearson Vue, it will probably be there already for you to fill in
Original post by Hexley

when you log into pearson vue website just select the further information tab and fill in the required sections its fairly simple. But yes you should have received an email reminding you- I did and I made an account pretty late on the 20th of sept. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Yep I took my UKCAT way too late and ended up missing some lectures for my Masters as well. I think my issue also is that I didn't prepare well enough (I started some sections just in September). I think maybe my study was ineffective in some areas and I have to deal with nerves better.

I'm doing Microbiology and Infection at Birmingham.

I'll take the UKCAT in July next year and then I will also have the GAMSAT registered (depending on deadline for early registration), so I have my options clear. What I like about the GAMSAT is you can take it as many times in a year (hence why some GAMSAT test takers go to Ireland and take it there in March after the September one). Plus when I take it I can also decide if I want to apply to Australian medical schools as well.

And I don't blame you for wanting to get out of retail LOL. The Masters will give you some added experience etc.

You know, I feel like I overcompensated. I should have been more efficient, I don't think I distributed my revision equally. And yes, I really need to deal with nerves better, especially under timed conditions.

Ah, I enjoyed the microbiology unit during my degree. I think that's an interesting option.

When you say you can take it more than once in a year, will taking it more than once hinder your application? And when can I register for it ?

Haha, Australia seems like a drastic approach, I always wanted to go to Australia, but it's too far. I'm considering Italy.
Original post by spymatiak
Hi, what is the cutt off of sheffield? I would love to apply there, but only got 668 in my ukcat...
Do i have a chance?

They do it on total of scores, so looking at your average you will be fine!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 989
Original post by smoggie98
Are you implying that the average could potentially be 600-620

I'm predicting 610-620. My sample size is over 1000, so there's at least some basis for my prediction.
Original post by tonystark
You know, I feel like I overcompensated. I should have been more efficient, I don't think I distributed my revision equally. And yes, I really need to deal with nerves better, especially under timed conditions.

Ah, I enjoyed the microbiology unit during my degree. I think that's an interesting option.

When you say you can take it more than once in a year, will taking it more than once hinder your application? And when can I register for it ?

Haha, Australia seems like a drastic approach, I always wanted to go to Australia, but it's too far. I'm considering Italy.

So for next year the game plan is to focus on your weaknesses and develop a technique that works for you, and leave the practice questions a few weeks before the test. I'm going to start working on my reading skills, been quite a slow reader since I began reading less and less. And AR is is just a hit and miss for me, I guess the way I prepared for it wasn't good enough either.

Yes if you go to the GAMSAT site it states your scores can be valid for two years and you can take it multiple times in a year depending on test availability of course (it's only held once a year in UK). More info here - https://gamsat.acer.edu.au/about-gamsat. Only off-putting thing is generally the amount of preparation for it but it's not difficult if you're from a science background like yourself. A girl at the test centre today said she forgot she had her UKCAT today, but she did really well in the GAMSAT though. Hehe.

My BF is actually from Australia and I go there quite 'frequently', that's why it's easy for me to consider plus the schools take the GAMSAT. I could also consider the Netherlands (because I am Dutch born and raised) but that is also quite a bit of effort in brushing up my Dutch and then sitting their admissions, interviews test etc. I can't do that in six months with my Masters as well.
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
So for next year the game plan is to focus on your weaknesses and develop a technique that works for you, and leave the practice questions a few weeks before the test. I'm going to start working on my reading skills, been quite a slow reader since I began reading less and less. And AR is is just a hit and miss for me, I guess the way I prepared for it wasn't good enough either.

Yes if you go to the GAMSAT site it states your scores can be valid for two years and you can take it multiple times in a year depending on test availability of course (it's only held once a year in UK). More info here - https://gamsat.acer.edu.au/about-gamsat. Only off-putting thing is generally the amount of preparation for it but it's not difficult if you're from a science background like yourself. A girl at the test centre today said she forgot she had her UKCAT today, but she did really well in the GAMSAT though. Hehe.

My BF is actually from Australia and I go there quite 'frequently', that's why it's easy for me to consider plus the schools take the GAMSAT. I could also consider the Netherlands (because I am Dutch born and raised) but that is also quite a bit of effort in brushing up my Dutch and then sitting their admissions, interviews test etc. I can't do that in six months with my Masters as well.

I think that sounds like a reasonable plan, but considering everything is my weakness, I guess I would need to work on all sections lol. I should not have stopped reading, I was quite the reader, I need to reduce the time watching tv etc. Maybe the UKCAT crash course as well

Ok, I am definitely considering taking GAMSAT, then. Thanks

That's great, if you can there is no reason why you shouldn't consider studying abroad. I hope we have better luck next time, if it comes to that.
Original post by liam__
I'm predicting 610-620. My sample size is over 1000, so there's at least some basis for my prediction.

From your sample of 1000, what do you think the UKCAT cutoff will be for Newcastle this year please!
Original post by Timewilltellu
From your sample of 1000, what do you think the UKCAT cutoff will be for Newcastle this year please!

He doesn't know because he can't tell you how many of those thousand will apply to Newcastle!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I apply to Keele, will I have advantage over other applicants that have a lower UKCAT score as compared to my score?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tanishqa
If I apply to Keele, will I have advantage over other applicants that have a lower UKCAT score as compared to my score?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not particularly, I applied last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does the UKCAT average globally count for anything? Seen a lot of people trying to work out what the average will be but why? I got 705 so I expect this to be above average

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 998
Original post by Sacred Ground
Does the UKCAT average globally count for anything? Seen a lot of people trying to work out what the average will be but why? I got 705 so I expect this to be above average

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't, but from the global average we can make inferences about different universities' cutoffs.
I've sent off my application and when I logged into PearsonVue it asked for my details for my UCAS application like UCAS ID number & Universities I'm applying to, etc. But is there a way to check whether the universities I have applied to have my UKCAT score?

Latest

Trending

Trending