The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bammy jastard 27
We'll be fine when zouma and terry are back.

Matip > Terry/Zouma

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unlucky lads, I am understandably ecstatic that we ended that horrible winless streak against you guys. I am struggling to hate you as much now that Jose has left. Even Costa looks like a much nicer bloke these days.

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/779784338305155072

Mourinho is like a cancer, you don't realise the full extent of damage to a club until it is too late.
My school’s under 14 football team would have defended Ozil's goal better than Luiz and Cahill. And my school doesn't even have an under 14 team.
(edited 7 years ago)
We don't get top four this season and then I think Chelsea won't win the title for a while to be honest

This squad is tired and worn out. Look at them - fragile and in dire need of refreshing. Mourinho, Hiddink and Conte have all struggled to get anything out of them. Some players look passionless like Courtois. Matic hasn't looked anywhere near his 2014 form where he owned Man City ; the lack of top 4 again would mean the better players like Hazard might look to move elsewhere.

Need a good overhaul but it would take time for players to be bedded in.Not to mention a stubborn board who seem to refuse to back the manager.

That, and shifting between stadiums might have a large impact on the way we play for home advantage
Original post by atom y humber
****ed up Mourinho? Mourinho has ****ed Chelsea so much it's ridiculous. Felipe luis wasn't good enough for him ffs. Mata and KDB were inferior to Oscar in his world.

I don't know what Chelsea didn't just give monch 20m for Christiansen instead of bringing back a stop gap for 40m #ego

Felipe Luis wasn't that good at Chelsea.

With Mata, it was a choice of him and Hazard. He needed two of the front three to track back so the defence wouldn't be too isolated. Mata unfortunately didn't fit.

In 2013/14; Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Schurrle and even Mata were outperforming De Bruyne. As a result his chances only came in the cup games where he wasn't very good. He would have eventually got a chance when Mata left, however he still wanted to leave against Mourinho's wishes.
It's like someone coming in and offering £20m for Van Ginkel or Chalobah now. You're not going to say no.
Reply 4306
Original post by sr90
It's like someone coming in and offering £20m for Van Ginkel or Chalobah now. You're not going to say no.

Why not have a buy back clause?
Like Real with Morata.
Reply 4307
It was so obvious to everyone that De Bruyne was ****ing amazing though, he just needed time.

Admittedly, he was being a real **** about it. The truth is he was only fit to play 50-60 mins of football, Lukaku had a similar problem for us. They both immediately (within a matter of games) started to say things in the press (which is a cancer common to Belgian players, they have a really big ****ing mouth and no brain). They were both too young and hadn't physically developed enough to play 90 mins for a top team. Unfortunately instead of bedding them in we just shipped them out.

Bertrand should never have been marginalised to the point he felt he had to leave, and we should have signed a CB about 3 years ago - someone really in their prime who could have been a rock for us for the last few years.

Meh. Club aren't trying to address obvious problems, keep getting retarded managers who back players that are clearly finished.

I dreamt this season of wholesale changes, starting by scrapping 4-2-3-1 and moving to a 4-2-4 or a 3-5-2 but instead we've had ****ing no change, no improvement, in some ways we are even worse now.

Dreaming of top 6 :colonhash: And a squad that actually has potential, instead of a bunch of washed up has beens...
Original post by SGHD26716
Why not have a buy back clause?
Like Real with Morata.

I don't understand why English clubs don't do this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
I don't understand why English clubs don't do this

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we've started to do this with a few players like Ibe.
Fairly low-profile though but I think Klopp will want to do that if we sell any young players in the future.
Reply 4310
Original post by Diego Costa
Felipe Luis wasn't that good at Chelsea.

With Mata, it was a choice of him and Hazard. He needed two of the front three to track back so the defence wouldn't be too isolated. Mata unfortunately didn't fit.

In 2013/14; Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Schurrle and even Mata were outperforming De Bruyne. As a result his chances only came in the cup games where he wasn't very good. He would have eventually got a chance when Mata left, however he still wanted to leave against Mourinho's wishes.

The first point is ridiculous when Filipe never got a run of games.

Second point well they did well enough together in 12/13. The problem was clearly the poor central midfield(which was already addressed by Benitez with moving Luiz to midfield and then getting another couple central midfielder like Matic and Fabregas, or even using De Bruyne there)

Final point De Bruyne barely played and if Mourinho was actually bothered enough to develop the player he would have said he's not leaving. Instead he buys Salah and does the exact same thing with him...
Reply 4311
Anyway I think the league is just going to be like this this season. Up and down for any team that's not managed by Pep Guardiola, even then with the way Aguero is constantly injured and their reliance on KDB a couple injuries and they're on the same level as the other chasing pack.

Quite worried about Liverpool. Spurs you know are perennial bottlers but Liverpool are transforming under Klopp.

Finally our CB problem is basically sorted by the end of this season. Luiz, Terry, Zouma and Christensen is more than capable CB depth, yeah we could have done with a better player than Luiz but he's not even the problem at defence and I was a pretty harsh critic of Luiz as a CB when he was at Chelsea the first time.

We have Hull and Leicester. That has to be 6 points. We also have United at Stamford Bridge, which really Chelsea can't lose at all costs. United will be playing Liverpool before hand so really we have the 13/14 season situation where the good teams are all pretty good.
(edited 7 years ago)
Luiz was a baffling signing really.

He's not even young any more and the exact opposite of what your defence needed

Understand that there are so few good CBs around, but really dont understand why you didnt pay a bit more for Koubailly/Romagnoli or even just sign Fonte/Williams etc as a stop gap.

Cahill is the pits though, I'd get a youth team CB in rather than play him
Original post by bammy jastard 27
The first point is ridiculous when Filipe never got a run of games.

He wasn't that good in the games he got. Even then, at peak he isn't much better than Azpi (if at all).

Second point well they did well enough together in 12/13. The problem was clearly the poor central midfield(which was already addressed by Benitez with moving Luiz to midfield and then getting another couple central midfielder like Matic and Fabregas, or even using De Bruyne there)

In 12/13 they had their title challenge ended in January and finished with 75 points, which is seven and 12 points fewer than the next two seasons which had the front three tracking back. Fabregas is not a solution as he is too slow to press/track back effectively and Matic only played well for four months in 2014 (which in hindsight was just great form), so he wasn't really the answer either.

Even then a midfield of Hazard, Mata, Willian, Fab and Matic is too slow, especially when Costa/Torres weren't exactly sprinters either.

Final point De Bruyne barely played and if Mourinho was actually bothered enough to develop the player he would have said he's not leaving. Instead he buys Salah and does the exact same thing with him...

KdB forced the move, it's not Mourinho's fault that there were better options and he wasn't performing well when he got the chance. Should he have just randomly dropped a better performing attacking midfielder for him?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4314
Playing a good team today. I reckon he's trying 4-2-4 today with a player just behind Costa. I think we should thrash them with the team we are using though.

Also comparing 12/13 to 13/14 is ridiculous because one season our backup wingers was a 22 year old Victor Moses and Yossi Benayoun. We also didn't spend shed loads of money on wingers or have to use a midfield that didn't consist of Mikel and Ramires for half a season(until Luiz was trained to move to midfield).
(edited 7 years ago)
Team today:

Courtois, Dave, Luiz, Cahill, Alonso, Kante, Matic, Hazard, Willian, Moses, Costa

Thank god Ivanovic has FINALLY been dropped. I'm disappointed Cesc doesn't start but he wasn't great against Arsenal really (then again no-one was). Glad Moses starts.

All in all not bad. Really depends on the exact system we play and whether our defence remember how to defend.
Looks a decent team on paper, hope it does the job(still not convinced Matic/Kante should be on the pitch together). Some sections of the fans have taken to abusing the likes of Cahill and Courtois on social media these past couple of weeks and that's not going to help the situation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4317
Playing 3atb. Interesting.
Reply 4318
Not going to lie, Luiz has improved so much in his ball distribution.
Moses looks decent. Just needs a slightly better end product and he'd be a really good player imo

Latest