The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Man Fabregas and Eriksen have the best cross deliveries in this league.

Quite like this first XI actually, very good balance of creativity and solidity in midfield

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5981
Yh I was wondering when he was going to switch to 3-5-2
diego's second was unreal

once again though our defence was a bit leaky..
and now its over to spus, come on palace
Reply 5984
Original post by stirkee
diego's second was unreal

once again though our defence was a bit leaky..

For me that's our goal of the season tbh tied with Matic's belter.
Really hope Hazard and Costa stay and Sanchez is added to the roster to challenge for CL.
Original post by Windies
Really hope Hazard and Costa stay and Sanchez is added to the roster to challenge for CL.

I just struggle to see Wenger selling a top player to a rival again after what happened with RVP. There will be a player sooner or later who they will keep until his contract expires.
Original post by Dexa
For me that's our goal of the season tbh tied with Matic's belter.

Hazard vs Arsenal?
Original post by Windies

Costa is a goner. He wanted out last summer and Tianjin are still after him and offering obscene amounts of money so he's as good as gone.
Reply 5988
Costa's gone, tbh I still prefer him to the other strikers, when he's on his game thats what you can get from him. He scored goals out of nothing earlier in the season(prior to the 3-4-2-1 switch) and has a very synonymous relationship with Fabregas. Although probably tells us more about the genius of Fabregas, guy made Adebayor an elite striker.

Imagine if we had sold Fabregas and kept Oscar...

I'm a bit disappointed that we are not playing the younger players too, although it was nice to have faith in Ake for that semi final. I think that probably shows that he trusts him as an option there but isn't impressed with him at wingback.
I don't really understand Costa wanting to go to China tbh. Its not like he'd be earning pennies at Chelsea, and he's due an extension (wage rise) soon. 4 year deal he'd be 32, still plenty of time to go to the MLS or China to top up the retirement fund. I know he's struggled to settle and wanted to go back to Atleti but China isn't any closer and certainly isn't an easier place to settle than London.

Probably will earn half the wages but sticking out 4 years in London seems easier than even 2 in some random Chinese city. Not to mention it must be pretty hard to motivate yourself playing against nobodies for the aim of winning trophies no one can even name.
Reply 5990
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Costa's gone, tbh I still prefer him to the other strikers, when he's on his game thats what you can get from him. He scored goals out of nothing earlier in the season(prior to the 3-4-2-1 switch) and has a very synonymous relationship with Fabregas. Although probably tells us more about the genius of Fabregas, guy made Adebayor an elite striker.

Imagine if we had sold Fabregas and kept Oscar...

I'm a bit disappointed that we are not playing the younger players too, although it was nice to have faith in Ake for that semi final. I think that probably shows that he trusts him as an option there but isn't impressed with him at wingback.

Costa's the best striker we've had since Drogba so if he goes it will be quite sad.

I just hope if he does leave we don't enter that phase we had from 2012-14 where we had no decent strikers.
Original post by Fizzel
I don't really understand Costa wanting to go to China tbh. Its not like he'd be earning pennies at Chelsea, and he's due an extension (wage rise) soon. 4 year deal he'd be 32, still plenty of time to go to the MLS or China to top up the retirement fund. I know he's struggled to settle and wanted to go back to Atleti but China isn't any closer and certainly isn't an easier place to settle than London.

Probably will earn half the wages but sticking out 4 years in London seems easier than even 2 in some random Chinese city. Not to mention it must be pretty hard to motivate yourself playing against nobodies for the aim of winning trophies no one can even name.

Rumoured to be on 150-185k a week at Chelsea. Apparently offered £575k a week in China. Who wouldn't take a 3-4x salary increase?
Original post by Zerforax
Rumoured to be on 150-185k a week at Chelsea. Apparently offered £575k a week in China. Who wouldn't take a 3-4x salary increase?
Would you take a 3x4times increase to go an live in Aleppo for a few years? Obviously London to China isn't comparable to moving the Aleppo but a 3x4 times increase in most people wages isn't comparable to 3x4 times a footballer's wage. Wages aren't always directly transferable to standard of living, especially not when you already live a life full of luxuries

He wanted to move back to Atleti last summer, and would certainly be taking a wage decrease to do so. He didn't get that move so now he's going to move to China for 4 years in an attempt to improve his situation? Right now he's a 2 hour flight from Madrid, and in a cultural melting pot earning £10m a year, winning major honours and he can't hack it. What on earth suggests he's going to hack China? Lets be honest at this stage of his life, he's not even going to see an increase in his standard of living, that will come in retirement.
(edited 7 years ago)
Understandable if he wanted to move elsewhere to a more competitive league than China, given that he's won every realistic title at Chelsea ( most likely add the FA Cup to the collection).

But moving to China at 28?!?
Original post by Fizzel
Would you take a 3x4times increase to go an live in Aleppo for a few years? Obviously London to China isn't comparable to moving the Aleppo but a 3x4 times increase in most people wages isn't comparable to 3x4 times a footballer's wage. Wages aren't always directly transferable to standard of living, especially not when you already live a life full of luxuries

He wanted to move back to Atleti last summer, and would certainly be taking a wage decrease to do so. He didn't get that move so now he's going to move to China for 4 years in an attempt to improve his situation? Right now he's a 2 hour flight from Madrid, and in a cultural melting pot earning £10m a year, winning major honours and he can't hack it. What on earth suggests he's going to hack China? Lets be honest at this stage of his life, he's not even going to see an increase in his standard of living, that will come in retirement.

Well you've already acknowledged that the Aleppo comparison isn't valid so I'm not sure what to say.. I've had quite a few friends move to Dubai and Hong Kong for work as the pay is better than staying in London so it is done.

Well I guess it's even more extreme in Costa's case so makes it even more logical if anything. He's 28 now so at best he's got 4-7 years left in him (even if he looks about 40..) or worst case scenario he's one bad injury away from retiring. He could make £30mil a year in China compared to the £8-8.5mil he makes now. Even over 3 years you're talking about a £65mil fortune difference that you think wouldn't make much difference.

If the figures were marginally rather than astronomical he probably wouldn't consider it but it is what it is.

Can you blame him for considering his future over the next 50-60 years?
Reply 5995
Not too worried if Costa goes, he will easily go for about 60-70m. More than enough to buy a suitable replacement like Icardi.
Original post by Zerforax
Well you've already acknowledged that the Aleppo comparison isn't valid so I'm not sure what to say.. I've had quite a few friends move to Dubai and Hong Kong for work as the pay is better than staying in London so it is done.
That wasn't really the take away...London and Dubai are pretty similar standard of living plus a wage rise, so that is as equally invalid. The Aleppo point was purely to indicate there might be other factors to consider.

My point is standard of living drives people moving not just money. If money drove footballers solely why would any top footballer be living and working in Europe when they could be earning more in the Middle East or China? Lifestyle, fulfilment, money, family, all the factors need to be considered, and to what extent they matter in various circumstances.

Well I guess it's even more extreme in Costa's case so makes it even more logical if anything. He's 28 now so at best he's got 4-7 years left in him (even if he looks about 40..) or worst case scenario he's one bad injury away from retiring. He could make £30mil a year in China compared to the £8-8.5mil he makes now. Even over 3 years you're talking about a £65mil fortune difference that you think wouldn't make much difference.

If the figures were marginally rather than astronomical he probably wouldn't consider it but it is what it is.

Can you blame him for considering his future over the next 50-60 years?
I can't blame him, I'm not even saying I wouldn't do it, but his previous decisions suggest that its a strange move for him. 12 months from 'money isn't everything', to 'money is everything' is quite the turn around. He earns £65m if he indeed lasts 4 years in China while presumably being miserable, after he couldn't hack 2 years earning more money and being presumably less miserable. Just seems like logical 180 to me, you're either a mercenary or you're not, and 12 months ago he wasn't to extent he was willing to take a pay cut. If he was like Hulk who has shown he's an utter mercenary and will go to Russia, waste his career and be racial abused by his own fans for more money then of course going to China makes 100% sense, as he's already demonstrated what matters to him in that life balance.
Original post by Dexa
Not too worried if Costa goes, he will easily go for about 60-70m. More than enough to buy a suitable replacement like Icardi.

Think Lukaku is a shoo-in and probably Morata.

Wouldn't rule out others like Immobile and Belotti because of the Conte connection.
thought palace were gonna help out, nvm
Reply 5999
Original post by stirkee
thought palace were gonna help out, nvm

They've still got Leicester away and Arsenal, who seem to be showing some kind of form recently. Also Man Utd.

Hopefully Leicester kill them off.

Latest