The Student Room Group

Applying to uni but worried about being restricted socially?

I'm thinking of applying to uni for next year but have some major concerns about my course. I am currently studying early years education and throughly enjoy the subject. However my course is all girls, which can be great but more often difficult. I am worried that studying a female orientated course, I won't meet others or mix with any guys. I tend to get along better with guys. No drama or what not! 😂 I love studying early years but it would be very difficult to change course.

Will halls be with just my course or will it be mixed gender? Will I just be stuck will girls from my course?

Thanks ☺️
Original post by AJMistry
I'm thinking of applying to uni for next year but have some major concerns about my course. I am currently studying early years education and throughly enjoy the subject. However my course is all girls, which can be great but more often difficult. I am worried that studying a female orientated course, I won't meet others or mix with any guys. I tend to get along better with guys. No drama or what not! 😂 I love studying early years but it would be very difficult to change course.

Will halls be with just my course or will it be mixed gender? Will I just be stuck will girls from my course?

Thanks ☺️

Most universities have halls with mixes of course and sometime will let you request mixed gender flats if you want so its likely you'll be with people on other courses and not just women unless you asked for that.
Reply 2
Just move into a mixed halls, simple as that.

Thanks ☺️

some people end up closer to the people they live with than their coursemates. at most unis most halls are mixed sex, and even where they are single sex the girls tend to want to go and meet the guys and of course societies are mixed sex, so you'll never just be around girls mostly.

Thanks ☺️

You'd be surprised, you are being very stereotypical about genders on courses. I understand that through A Levels that may seem like the case but at university, most courses have a pretty even mix of males/females, only rarely (have I experienced) will the scales shift one way of the other. Therefore, there will more than likely be guys on your course.

As for halls, halls aren't divided up by courses. They are just divided up however they happen to be. It's just random how they are put together. All halls are different. If it's flat wise, sometimes it can be all girls in one, or all boys in one, or mixed. I lived on a corridor with about forty other people, there were twenty boys and twenty girls are different ends of the corridor. Saying that, you aren't restricted to your halls. You don't have to spend every waking moment with them!
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
You'd be surprised, you are being very stereotypical about genders on courses. I understand that through A Levels that may seem like the case but at university, most courses have a pretty even mix of males/females, only rarely (have I experienced) will the scales shift one way of the other. Therefore, there will more than likely be guys on your course.

I don't know what world you live in, but there is still clear divisions of gender in universities courses. Look at Engineering compared to Vet Sciences.

Thanks ☺️

No halls area mix of guys and girls so you will, defiantly meet guys but remember halls are not the Only place you will meet people you will also meet guys at societies so yeah you will not have any problems meeting guys.
(edited 8 years ago)

Thanks ☺️

Nope halls is usually mixed I lived in hall where everyone did a different course
Original post by DiddyDec
I don't know what world you live in, but there is still clear divisions of gender in universities courses. Look at Engineering compared to Vet Sciences.

And I don't know how you can't read. I said this is from my experiences. Okay? This is from what I know of courses at my university and the universities my friends go to. So, I live in that world. The one I've experienced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending